GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

GT + AUTO + Vert + Flowmasters = bad

Search this Thread

Old 10/21/06, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT + AUTO + Vert + Flowmasters = bad

I've given this setup a week to see if can live with it.... I dont think I can.

I guess I should have donr more homework- but it seems that Id seen mostly positive info on the flowmasters- if anything - many found them to be too mild/quiet.

Mine drone like a Mother!

Driving in the 1500-2200 RPM zone is painful.... plus- yeah- I have an AUTO - so I cant just shift.... and as luck would have it- when driving around town- Im typically spending a lot of time in the drone zone.

I dont know if the convertible just conducts the drone more too....

But- all in all- Im bummed..... Sounds awesome when I step on the gas and want to go..... but the other 90% of the time -
Old 10/21/06, 06:35 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by lowepg

I guess I should have donr more homework- but it seems that Id seen mostly positive info on the flowmasters- if anything - many found them to be too mild/quiet.

Driving in the 1500-2200 RPM zone is painful.... plus- yeah- I have an AUTO - so I cant just shift.... and as luck would have it- when driving around town- Im typically spending a lot of time in the drone zone.

But- all in all- Im bummed..... Sounds awesome when I step on the gas and want to go..... but the other 90% of the time -
Corsa: no drone, whisper quiet when cruising, awesome when floored.
Old 10/21/06, 06:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have been pushing these lately-

http://www.ninosport.com/Supreme-GT-...=2&category=90
Old 10/21/06, 07:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by eci
Corsa: no drone, whisper quiet when cruising, awesome when floored.

The only system on the market with no drone........ Corsa.
Old 10/21/06, 07:15 PM
V6 Member

I find I need to get up over about 2600 rpm or below 1300 rpm with a load on it before I hear the drone...I love the drone....
Old 10/21/06, 07:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281

The only system on the market with no drone........ Corsa.
The FRPP GTA's (Supreme GT) have no drone either, just not loud enough for some.
Old 10/21/06, 07:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by aircare84
The FRPP GTA's (Supreme GT) have no drone either, just not loud enough for some.

Sorry, I should've clarified. If you want an exhaust that can be loud at WOT but refined at low to mid RPM, then go with Corsa.
Old 10/21/06, 07:38 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by tom281
Sorry, I should've clarified. If you want an exhaust that can be loud at WOT but refined at low to mid RPM, then go with Corsa.
Did you bother with the X? I put it on today, I like it better than with the factory H. It's a lot "tighter".
Old 10/21/06, 07:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by eci
Did you bother with the X? I put it on today, I like it better than with the factory H. It's a lot "tighter".
I have an offroad H pipe...... here's a quick video:

Old 10/21/06, 08:22 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow Tom, that sound's amazing!
Old 10/21/06, 08:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I went this route with my Vert and I am very happy with it:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=53375

So far everyone that put them on likes them, except for one that thought they weren't loud enough, but they have zero drone, and sound great at idle and WOT, but like stock at cruise.
Old 10/21/06, 08:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 2005sonicgt
Wow Tom, that sound's amazing!
Thanks! I like how if you listen close, you can hear the slight chirp when I floor it from a roll- that's in 2nd gear! Also, you can hear the JLT II cai suckin' in the air. This was before I added the CMRC delete plates- you should hear it now ! Went from 296 rwhp to 303 rwhp and got better throttle response.

But I should mind my manners- back to topic. It seems there are several exhaust options that will sound good without introducing drone.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 10/21/06, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang Buster
I went this route with my Vert and I am very happy with it:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=53375

So far everyone that put them on likes them, except for one that thought they weren't loud enough, but they have zero drone, and sound great at idle and WOT, but like stock at cruise.
How was the install?

Now Im a bit gunshy on the exhaust- but it will *feel* like failure to put the stocks back on..... not that they were bad in the first place.... AAARRRGGGGG
Old 10/21/06, 10:00 PM
Bullitt Member

How was the install?

Now Im a bit gunshy on the exhaust- but it will *feel* like failure to put the stocks back on..... not that they were bad in the first place.... AAARRRGGGGG
Very easy install. The mufflers go on just like stock.
Old 10/21/06, 10:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To adjust RPMs to keep it out of the "Drone Zone" use your OD switch. Will kick up the RPM's untill you get above that 1800 RPM area then kick it back on.
Old 10/21/06, 11:58 PM
GT Member

I want an exhaust that sounds deep at idle, quiet during crusing but sounds mean when floored. Will the SLP's do?
Old 10/22/06, 10:50 AM
V6 Member

Hello everyone. I enjoy obscessing over this, and have tried a couple of different mufflers. Inserted below is a file with my impressions and a few sound clips that I keep updated. I have recently made a video of before and after with the GTAs and am purchasing a Firewire card for my PC this week so I can upload them for everyone since there aren't many clips of the GTAs on the stock H-pipe.

IMPORTANT POINT: I have NOT heard many people complain about drone with the Flowmaster A/Ts made specifically for the new GTs. They went through 5 itterations of these to try to get the right sound and minimize drone before they went to market with them. I WOULD SERIOUSLY LOOK AT YOUR MUFFLER PIPE CLAMPS AND MAKE SURE THEY ARE VERY TIGHT. Several people have reported difficulty getting them tight enough so that the pipes are not loose and reverberating on each other. Several people have had this problem and reported that getting them tight enough fixed their "drone".
INSERT FILE:
Sound is really a personal thing and many people have different opinions on what would sound good. Listen to some sound clips and go to a few swap meets in person. I too have been looking for the perfect sound - actually obsessing over it. Tried one exhaust which sounded very good (FRPP stingers), but was a little loud for me and a lot of drone, and not quite what I was looking for, so I kept looking. I have recently installed the FRPP GTA mufflers and will try these out.

Here are a few of my impressions:

Flowmasters are a chambered aluminized muffler, sound good, slight louder than stock at idle, slight deeper, wide open throttle (WOT) scream pretty good, but not excessive. Slightly tin-cannish (many people like). They don't have as much of the original flowmaster sound, since they were trying to minimize drone which can happen in these cars at 1300-2100 RPM. A few sound clips.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/03/05Mufflers/index.php

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v310/mvosborn/?action=view&current=ponytailcam.flv

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e212/OKCMustangGT/FlowMaster%20Install/?action=view&current=FlowmasterMufflers04-01-2006.flv

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k121/kooldawg6/?action=view&current=Flowmastermufflers.flv

IMCOs are chambered aluminized and have true old throaty muscle car sound (old Flowmaster), Extremes moderately loud, Pros not as much - tradeoff is more drone.

http://www.grabthepower.com/mustang-promo-front.html

Borla Stingers = FRPP (Ford racing) are straight through stainless type, and have an aggressive wonderful sound, very deep, mod loud, mod drone peaking at 1800 RPM. Aggressive scream at WOT. I had these but really wanted something just slightly louder than stock with not as much drone and more mellow sound. A lot of people have these and the fit is good.

http://media.putfile.com/mustang-gt-w-FRPP-exhuast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32q3VirOzA0

FRPP "GTA' mufflers (made by Supreme Performance). Ford Racing sells these which are standard equipment stainless with X-pipe on the GTH and Shelby Mustang. Slight deeper, slight louder than stock. They sound throatier, a little more “rough” at low end, but not as raspy at high end when used on H-pipe VS the X-pipe IMO. Here are a few with the X-pipe on the Shelby GTH:

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k254/steeda2k6/?action=view&current=evilchris.flv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdRvoytv7gY

GTAs with stock H-Pipe:

http://www.mustangexhaust.com/forums/soundclips.php?action=play&linkid=370&catid=70&pag e=1

Corsas are slight expensive stainless, straight through design stainless. Not much louder than stock or around town, but really scream at WOT and absolutely no drone. A lot of people like these, but don't expect muscle car sound down low.

http://www.corsaperf.com/mustang.htm

SLP loudmouths - enough said. Straight through design, Very loud. Wicked. Moderate drone. Not quite as deep as FRPP. Many clips available if you do a search.

There also other muffler that I did not look much (JBA, Pipes, ...), and many people change out the CATs, Powerchambers, headers, etc which can totally change the sound. I did not want to do anything but change the axel back so that is all I looked at.

Enjoy and good obsessing.
Old 10/22/06, 10:58 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe your clamps are loose. I can't beleive you're experiencing so much drone when I literally am experiencing very little to zero drone. I can't beleive an automatic would make that much of a difference. Sorry to hear of your problem. I love my Flows.
Old 10/22/06, 12:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

I thought the same when I put my Flowmasters on, but after about 1-2k miles, they really settle in. The drone from 1500-2500 gets MUCH quieter, yet it gets more refined and louder from 3k+. It really is a great axleback, just takes some time I think.
Old 10/22/06, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Reminisce
I thought the same when I put my Flowmasters on, but after about 1-2k miles, they really settle in. The drone from 1500-2500 gets MUCH quieter, yet it gets more refined and louder from 3k+. It really is a great axleback, just takes some time I think.
I hope you're right.... I'm tempted to leave them on for a while (mostly becuase I dont want to switch them back)!

I'll give it a month.... plus I can focus on getting some other little issues dealt with (squeaking seat, rattle behind dashboard, etc)...... btw- not super-impressed with the QC on mine so far...

Quick Reply: GT + AUTO + Vert + Flowmasters = bad