The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT Performance Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/)
-   -   GT and 2nd Gear "chirp" (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/gt-2nd-gear-chirp-412283/)

stkdidy 6/23/05 02:29 PM

Originally posted by adrenalin@June 23, 2005, 7:10 AM
What size tires are you running? Since i put 285/40R18's on the back I can get a little sqwauk out of the back when I shift into second but no longer anything in 3rd. With factory tires I could lay a 20 ft patch when I shifted into second. I think I need to get 4.10 gears installed.

i powershift alot of the time too.
255/50/zr-17 kdws in back
i know what u mean on the stock tires...i got it to whip sideways several times on the 1-2 shift (kinda scary at the time).
before gears on stock tires i chirped good into 2nd, and about 2/3 of the time scratched at all into 3rd (never 4th).

btw, 4.10s are gods gift to performance in this car IMO. i give them credit for my 13.2s with horrible 2.1xx 60's with nothing but gears and pred tune

azoufan 6/23/05 02:33 PM

Originally posted by 245/45ZR-17@June 22, 2005, 10:09 PM
You live in AZ, and yet have a black on black car...

:blink:
It gets hot as heck down here too (triple digits), but not as hot as where you live, and I would NEVER buy a black car...

Wow, I guess it's a good thing you didn't pay for mine then huh? I'll be sure and check with you before I buy my next car. My wife is thinking of getting a new car in the next 3 or 4 years, perhaps you'd just like to tell us what make, model and color?

Sean

mustp51 6/23/05 04:42 PM

Originally posted by 05GT-BABY@June 23, 2005, 1:46 PM
:scratch: :scratch: How are you guys chirping 3rd or even 4th with stock tires and gears? I can break loose in 2nd, but not even a slight chirp in 3rd. Are you power shifting? I'm taking it to about 6000-6200 and shifting hard and fast. No power shift either. Is that my problem? :scratch: :scratch:

Not really power shifting mine. I do let off the gas and push in the clutch, but just enough of each to get it to shift. I wouldn't really sweat not chirping/scratcing the tires, what that really means is that the tires are loosing traction. I don't drive mine like that much, I was just showing off for my dad. The 3rd to 4th chirp surprised me as well. It had never done that before. 2nd to 3rd I've only had a few times. Like I said too, it did it on one type of road surface and not the other. The one it did get 4th on was an older road with a nice shiny surface. The one it didn't was that rough, pebly type.
jeff

The Lyin' King 6/23/05 06:02 PM

Originally posted by azoufan@June 23, 2005, 1:36 PM
Wow, I guess it's a good thing you didn't pay for mine then huh? I'll be sure and check with you before I buy my next car. My wife is thinking of getting a new car in the next 3 or 4 years, perhaps you'd just like to tell us what make, model and color?

Sean

Mines black on black also, I have two other black rides, it's hotter than heck here and I live on a dirt road . . . once you've gone black you'll never go back :-D .

EarlB 6/23/05 09:39 PM

Look at these sigs with the guys chirping 3rd and 4th - they ain't stock :)

For my car its all an issue of very hot temps...tried this morning before it got hot and again tonite after it had cooled down a bit -squeels like a kicked dog in both ears. Doesn't matter if TCS or AC is on or off. But during the heat of the day - no chirp. I think someone else had it right, its still grabbing then - just you don't get the chirp because of the hot temps.

Earl

Originally posted by porsche@June 23, 2005, 1:52 PM
I dont power shift ,I do shift hard but the car is fast i dont know what to say
Do you have a tune ?maybe the newer cars computer is holding back more!

Jeffs05GT 6/24/05 12:57 AM

I have never had any problem chirping 2nd gear, and that's including at 5000 foot altitude and in the 100 degree weather.

adrenalin 6/24/05 07:08 AM

Originally posted by rony1976@June 23, 2005, 8:30 AM
Adrenalin, how the heck do you lay a 20ft patch in second!?!?!?

With the stock tires on a nice warm day and a road that several people do burnouts on. I did a nice burnout in second and power shifted into 2nd. Next think I knew I had left a very long patch of rubber. We went back and measured it off. 1st gear left close to 60ft rubber, then a 4ft section was bare and then you could see when I hit 2nd gear. Another 20ft of rubber :nice: Ah, those were the days. Now my tires don't lay rubber at all. The squeal really good in 1st but when you go back there are no marks. Good tires :D

sybidoc 6/24/05 07:18 AM

My 05GT M will get a pretty good chirp into 3rd and will even try to get a little sideways sometimes, even on a dry concrete road. My only mods are a Predator 87 oct tune and Ford Racing 4:10s. Into 2nd it gets real squirelly.

mustp51 6/24/05 09:18 AM

Look at these sigs with the guys chirping 3rd and 4th - they ain't stock
Mine is 100% stock!
Well except for the carbon fiber license plate frame on the back. Maybe that gave me a 20hp gain :dunno:
Kinda like all the stickers that give the ricers a 50hp boost :-D
jeff

stkdidy 6/24/05 02:22 PM

Originally posted by mustp51@June 24, 2005, 8:21 AM
Mine is 100% stock!
Well except for the carbon fiber license plate frame on the back. Maybe that gave me a 20hp gain :dunno:
Kinda like all the stickers that give the ricers a 50hp boost :-D
jeff

hahaha i was waitin for someone with a blower to come into this thread and say that they are completely stock...except for 9psi of boost...

2Slack 6/25/05 07:57 AM

Originally posted by EarlB@June 23, 2005, 4:15 AM

Like Sean, it gets HOT here and I do mean hot. Mine is black too - heck thats what dark window tint and AC's are for :)

Earl

Amen brother.