GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Granatelli CAI Mods

Search this Thread

Old 9/7/06, 04:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Granatelli CAI Mods

I really like my Granatelli CAI, but I made a couple of small mods that I thought you all might be interested to see. First, and most obvious, I replaced the Granatelli GMS plate (sorry JR ) with a black aluminum "4.6L GT" plate that I had made at a local trophy shop. It only cost a few dollars, and I think the contrast fits the engine bay nicely. JR and company made it very easy to pop the stock plate out, and use 3M two sided automotive tape to put on the new one. Second, I used large rubber washers underneath a large washer on top of and below the heat shield mounting bolt to distribute the force a little better, and to isolate the airbox from the fender to prevent paint rubbing on the inner fender and vibration. And lastly, I used black door edge molding to line the entire edge of the heat shield to give it a more finished look and also in the hole that the tube passed through to seal the heat out. Again, the Granatelli CAI is great just the way it is, but I like to tinker and tweak things when I can
Attached Thumbnails Granatelli CAI Mods-gms-cai-4.6l-gt-001-small-.jpg   Granatelli CAI Mods-gms-cai-4.6l-gt-002-small-.jpg   Granatelli CAI Mods-gms-cai-4.6l-gt-003-small-.jpg  
Old 9/7/06, 07:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Looks good
I think I'm going to do the rubber washer thing too, makes sense.
Old 9/7/06, 07:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05GTRedfire
Looks good
I think I'm going to do the rubber washer thing too, makes sense.
Thanks. I have a large rubber washer below the heat shield, and then another one on top of the heat shield, and then a large metal washer on top of that to hold everything down. It works great and looks more "factory" IMHO. I even glued the rubber and the metal washer together, and painted the metal washer black.
Old 9/7/06, 08:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mustang Buster
Thanks. I have a large rubber washer below the heat shield, and then another one on top of the heat shield, and then a large metal washer on top of that to hold everything down. It works great and looks more "factory" IMHO. I even glued the rubber and the metal washer together, and painted the metal washer black.
I just installed mine tonight... I'm not following the washer thing you did. Can you get a closer in pic of it.

-danny
Old 9/7/06, 10:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by pegasusphototx
I just installed mine tonight... I'm not following the washer thing you did. Can you get a closer in pic of it.

-danny
Danny,

Hope these pics help. I'll try to explain it again. Starting from the bottom you have the fender that the heat shield bolts too, then I put the large rubber washer, then the heat shield on top of that washer, then another rubber washer on top of the heat shield, then a black metal washer on top of that rubber washer, and finally the bolt goes through them all. This just evenly speads the tension out over a larger area of the heat shield to prevent possible cracking in the future, and also isolates everything from vibrations, and protects the paint on the fender. Enjoy your new CAI
Attached Thumbnails Granatelli CAI Mods-mustang-photos-036-small-.jpg   Granatelli CAI Mods-mustang-photos-037-small-.jpg  
Old 9/8/06, 12:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The rubber washers sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the tip and the pics.
Old 9/8/06, 07:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Treadhead
The rubber washers sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the tip and the pics.
Old 9/9/06, 08:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some good tips. I will have to look at mine again with a tweaking eye.....
Old 9/9/06, 10:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by harleybill
Some good tips. I will have to look at mine again with a tweaking eye.....
Roger that Bill