GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Got the H.O Whipple/FRPP Supercharger :)

Search this Thread

Old 3/17/07, 01:18 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got the H.O Whipple/FRPP Supercharger :)

well at last.. my whipple has come along
Here are a few photos i snapped earlier..
  1. the big box with the blower itself, the intake filter, sheild, wiring arnesses, etc
  2. here's everything packed up and ready to go.. the Whipple kit itself, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, Autometer Nexus gauges, SOS A-Pillar gauge pod, etc..
  3. another angle :P
  4. here's the badboy
  5. another angle
Only problem?

i can't install it yet, as i have no tune!

please guys.. anyone with a 2006 manual transmission Mustang GT in the US.. or even better, anyone with the H.O Whipple installed.. i NEED your help badly.

i need either your PCM part number, or your actual PCM calibration (dumped through an SCT XCalibrator II)

i can't thank CR @ Tillmanspeed enough for taking care of this from A to Z..
this is by far the biggest, yet smoothest transaction i've performed overseas

i just uploaded a short video of me going through the boxes.
you can tell i'm like a kid on christmas eve

here goes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP2_jPy1NhY
( it might take a little while to go online )

Thanks TillmanSpeed!
Attached Thumbnails Got the H.O Whipple/FRPP Supercharger :)-pic_0160.jpg   Got the H.O Whipple/FRPP Supercharger :)-pic_0161.jpg   Got the H.O Whipple/FRPP Supercharger :)-pic_0162.jpg   Got the H.O Whipple/FRPP Supercharger :)-pic_0156.jpg   Got the H.O Whipple/FRPP Supercharger :)-pic_0157.jpg  

Old 3/17/07, 01:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
wow! That looks really, Really cool! it's huge!
Old 3/17/07, 01:28 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We're loving BAX right now for not trashing the packaging! You're going to love it, Lou! We'll get that SCT tune moving for you. In the mean time it would be nice to get ahold of a PCM part number for FRPP.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 3/17/07, 01:33 PM
Cobra Member

That's got to be the fastest sofa on the street!
Old 3/17/07, 01:49 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

LOL RobK.
on the way from the Cargo Terminal.. we had the kit sitting in the back of my buddy's Explorer and he was joking about how he's got a 10PSI whipple in his explorer that didn't seem to go any faster than ever
Old 3/17/07, 03:50 PM
Bullitt Member

If i was to get a blower, it would be that one (see sig). Unfortunatly, i think its going to be a while before it happens, if ever...
Old 3/17/07, 04:53 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Check out the attached photo showing the 9" air filter for this baby (to the left) compared with that of a JLT-II (onto the right)

on another front, i'm also noticing that while i've beem reading everywhere that this kit ships with a
Massive 5” thick aluminum intercooler for superior cooling and Oversized Fluidyne heat exchanger for increased cooling capacity
i only got the heat exchanger (shown in black below).. but the 5" thick intercooler is nowhere to be found :|

i checked the installation manual and couldn't find much info on that.. neither did i see it as per other whipple threads on this and other forums.
can anyone help here?
Attached Thumbnails Got the H.O Whipple/FRPP Supercharger :)-pic_0164.jpg  
Old 3/17/07, 05:59 PM
GT Member

The intercooler is what sits under the Whipple.. Its the part that bolts to your heads.. that the SC bolts ontop of.. Its in your pics
Old 3/17/07, 07:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool deal Louie, any idea if your hood clears it?
Old 3/17/07, 08:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

i don't think that's gonna work with your hood.
Old 3/17/07, 08:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It may not, I had to modify mine for the Roushcharger and sent him the pics and info how it was done but the Whipple doesn't have the same high points as the Roush...hopefully it clears.
Old 3/17/07, 08:52 PM
GT Member

You could also install the drop engine mounts.. they give an extra 1/2 inch I think
Old 3/17/07, 09:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by vsop
You could also install the drop engine mounts.. they give an extra 1/2 inch I think
Yea I actually have to do that. Mine clears but under heavy load the engine moves a little to much for my comfort.
Old 3/17/07, 09:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

I feel a couple of definitions are in order:

Intercooler - The term used for the entire SYSTEM which includes a reservoir, pump and heat exchangers (plural). It is not a specific part in a water-to-air system, which contains multiple parts.

Heat Exchanger - A device used to transfer heat energy from one medium to another. In a water-to-air system, there must be two heat exchangers. One is used to draw heat away from air and to the transfer medium (the water in this case). This heat exchanger is used under the compressor. The second is used to draw heat away from the transfer medium (water) to the ambient air. Obviously, this one is mounted in the airstream.

Hope this helps.
Old 3/17/07, 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by G.T
on another front, i'm also noticing that while i've beem reading everywhere that this kit ships with a
i only got the heat exchanger (shown in black below).. but the 5" thick intercooler is nowhere to be found :|

i checked the installation manual and couldn't find much info on that.. neither did i see it as per other whipple threads on this and other forums.
can anyone help here?
I believe mine was at the very bottom (below a layer of black foam) of the smaller box from whipple. When I was dropping off the boxes I asked the same question to my installer, "where is the radiator?" he said it was in the bottom of that box. I checked the boxes earlier, but thought that the black foam was the bottom of the box, I guess it wasn't.
Old 3/17/07, 11:00 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

i'm not worried about hood clearance.. the bodyshop will be on standby to tackle any minor hood modifications required to make this clear..
dropping the engine a bit using high performance mounts was another option, but that'd probably compromise the ride comfort and quiet..

Willie: appreciate the clarification, but i copy/pasted the info straight from Whipple site, which stated the kit contained a 5" thick intercooler, and a fluidyne heat exchanger.

in any case.. one heat exchanger is there in the box.. the other one is probably already bolted into the compressor assembly, which is why i haven't been able to see it.

so.. any of you got the same kit installed or a 2006 GT with manual trans?
GPStang? 404? please help guys!
Old 3/17/07, 11:04 PM
GT Member

If you still are having issues getting a tune Contact Justin at VMPTuning.com
Old 3/17/07, 11:27 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

VMP Tune will work for now, but i'd still wanna get the Whipple/FRPP tune going as my aim is to have a conservative/safe tune for my weather.. rather than squeeze out a few more horses and fry something
Old 3/17/07, 11:33 PM
Former Vendor

I can tune the Whipple as well. But that's not what we're going for. We're trying to find a baseline FRPP whipple tune that we can turn into variables for an LL3 SCT file. He wants the tune as if it came from FRPP

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 3/17/07, 11:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

CR,
I don't think anyone has the FRPP in an LLC format (or any format that allows modifying)..... I think it's anybody's best guess right now. I bought my base tune in .zcf format from Justin (VMP) for my Whipple'd '05 and the transfer function values were lean by at least 17 percent.

Louie,
I know you're concerned about the heat. Believe me I live in very hot weather too, although probably not as hot as yours. We've seen 122 degrees around these parts. One thing you may want to change on the Whipple install. Do NOT use the built-in temp sensor in the MAF. Go with a stand-alone sensor mounted in the intake manifold so it reads compressed air temps, not air temps upstream of the compressor. This way your PCM will know the air temp actually going into the cylinder head and not some false temp going into the compressor, where it can be heated tremendously and where the PCM won't be able to adjust timing accordingly.

Willie

Quick Reply: Got the H.O Whipple/FRPP Supercharger :)