GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

gear whine?

Search this Thread

Old 11/16/07, 01:26 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RKNMACH
I believe the M means they are made by Motive which hasn't gotten good grades in the past on this forum.
That is my belief as well. I have used Motive gears in my personal cars in the past and have had good luck with them when they are set up properly. Not sure what the deal is with these but I don't like them at all. They are noticably harder to get a good pattern with.
Old 11/16/07, 06:40 PM
Bullitt Member

4.10's installed

today.....did not get on them since they only have 14 miles, had a little whine but seems to have lessened in the limited amount of time i drove them...at any rate...Motive is making FRPP gears now, however, the issue seems to come from whether they are made in Korea (bad) or Italy (good)...my performance shop floor manager swears by the italian made motives will not accept the Korean mades..., at any rate, will keep you posted as well....i do notice that 3rd and 4th are extremely more responsive......by mid week next week, i will know more....
Old 11/17/07, 09:08 AM
GT Member

The chrome ones say made in Italy on them. When we order the M4209G410M those show up. I would much rather the old FRPP gear. They are still available as part # M4209G410A but about $40 more than the newer ones. I know which ones I will be using.
Old 11/20/07, 07:00 PM

Smile

update! update! new gears are in ! nice and quiet!

thankyou dennis! at ramseys performance in tampa florida! he stepped up and made it right! thanks again dennis!

thanks to everyone who posted on this thread!
Old 11/21/07, 02:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Still have some whine

well, I have about 200 miles on the new gears, the whine has lessened somewhat, but it is still there, should I head back to the shop and have them investigate, or wait another 1-200 miles to give them a chance to break in further? let me know your thoughts....
Old 11/21/07, 02:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They should not whine at all. There is no break in period that will lessen a whining gear set. If they whine when new, something isn't right.
Old 11/21/07, 06:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by inVERTed
wait another 1-200 miles to give them a chance to break in further? let me know your thoughts....
I, myself wouldn't drive any further. Since backlash should be the easiest part of the setup, I'm going with an incorrect pinion depth setting. As well as per the FRPP install instructions; making sure the backface of the ring gear has no burrs/nicks before mounting. This can create ring/pinion tooth depth variations.
Old 11/29/07, 06:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Back in the shop

Originally Posted by theedge67
They should not whine at all. There is no break in period that will lessen a whining gear set. If they whine when new, something isn't right.
Gents at Livernois Motorsports advised me that 2 additional stangs with identical gear swaps (to Motive 4.10's) also had bad whine, at any rate, i brought it in this evening, and they plan to remove the Motive Italian made Gears and located some original FRPP 4.10's they plan to re-install tomorrow...will keep you all posted...not only was the whine killing me, i believe it was starting to cause additional interior vibrations...driving me nuts....i as well will give you all an update, thanks as well for the advice....should have the car back for the weekend...
Old 11/30/07, 05:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by inVERTed
Gents at Livernois Motorsports advised me that 2 additional stangs with identical gear swaps (to Motive 4.10's) also had bad whine, at any rate, i brought it in this evening, and they plan to remove the Motive Italian made Gears and located some original FRPP 4.10's they plan to re-install tomorrow...will keep you all posted...not only was the whine killing me, i believe it was starting to cause additional interior vibrations...driving me nuts....i as well will give you all an update, thanks as well for the advice....should have the car back for the weekend...

New gears are in! FRPP's...What a difference...I am psyched, no whine and the car feels much, much stronger! Kudos to Matt and Sascho at LM-Detroit Speed Shops - they ensure the job is done right! Wooohooooo!
Old 1/22/08, 08:16 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Without starting a new thread, I felt my question might go well here.

It’s been a lot of miles and over 1 year without any issues since the Ford Racing 4.10 install. With my recent 2000 mile drive, I have been experiencing a slight " werrrrrrr" noise during the first second of acceleration and deceleration. If I let off the gas pedal slowly it will continue making the noise untill I let off it completly. Its only noticable during the 50 mph and above range. Anyone one else experience this or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks