GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

gauge connections

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/05, 01:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked up the MRT pod along with Autometer oil pressure, water temp and volt meter. All electric no mechanical ones.
Volt meter is the easy one.

The stock oil sending unit is right behind the oil filter.
The meter comes with a sending unit. Do I have to tee off the connection to accomodate the new sending unit or can i chuck the new one and tap off the stock unit?

Where exactly do i screw in the water temp sending unit?

Thanx for any help!!!
Old 10/1/05, 01:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?ac...43&t=35262&st=0

I would not recommend disabling any of the factory gauges. The original factory sending unit for the oil pressure must be kept in place and the Autometer sending unit tee'd into the same location if you plan on keeping both gauges operational.
Old 10/1/05, 03:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by tmcolegr@October 1, 2005, 1:31 PM
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?ac...43&t=35262&st=0

I would not recommend disabling any of the factory gauges. The original factory sending unit for the oil pressure must be kept in place and the Autometer sending unit tee'd into the same location if you plan on keeping both gauges operational.
Thanx Todd,

What i meant was leaving the stock wire alone but splicing the autometer wire to it. One sending unit, 2 gauges.

would that work?
Old 10/1/05, 03:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

No - both must be hooked up independently from each other. My oil pressure and fuel pressure gauges have not arrived yet. However, I believe the Autometer Full Sweep O.P. gauge uses 3 wires (Gray, Purple, & Black = communication between sender and gauge) on the sending unit where the factory sender is only a single wire. Perhaps you can look at your gauges and confirm.

What series Autometer gauges did you buy? I decided on the "Cobalt" series. Are yours full sweep?
Old 10/1/05, 08:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

ere are the meters.
The oil is a single wire sending unit and the temp has a reducer and the
single wire sender.
Old 10/2/05, 04:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

I see one major difference between your gauges and mine. Your gauges are short sweep and mine are full sweep - both are excellent gauges, just personnal preference. Your gauges are Sport-Comp, mine are Cobolt. The information on full sweep gauges came right from Autometer's web site.

I have looked at the location of the factory O.P. sending unit and it is going to be a tight squeeze to fit both sending units. Not to mention it will require a tee, bushings, elbows and nipples. That is quite a bit of weight after you install the sending units and am concerned about vibration, leaks and eventually the fittings breaking. I will be remote mounting both my sending units with a stainless steel hose. The flat area just behind the C&L air box looks like an excellent location. Factory wiring harness will still reach as well.