Search this Thread

Old 5/28/05, 11:22 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthr...96&page=1&pp=30

Easy/clean install.

Similar price to a Vortech.

Best looking engine bay by far.

Best TQ curve by far. A 430hp screw will smoke a 430hp centrifugal.

I think the SC debate is over. SALEEN.
Old 5/29/05, 05:28 AM
Cobra Member

Not my cup of tea.

Why ?

Not auto S/C at this time. BUT the main reason for me, you have to send your computer to them once you get your S/C installed. THere is NO tuner to tune it yourself. Screw that. Plus their phone support seems to be lacking

-Bryan
Old 5/29/05, 08:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Which is a real pity. I like the idea of that kind of power at only 4-5 pounds of boost (their claim). I am still a little leery of forced induction (waiting to see what happens to the engines of those braver than I), but this sounds like a promising solution. Also, I like the fact that I don't have to leave off my C & L Intake but can hook it to the throttle body on the S/C.

Really? They won't give you or sell you the tune file like everyone else? I have no desire to send them my Predator, I worry about getting it back!

Why can't there be a good, cheap, reliable solution? Just one? That's all I ask!

Eric
Old 5/29/05, 08:05 AM
Cobra Member

No, you dont send them your Predator, you send the cars computer .

Now, if you have the whole thing done at a shop, and not by you, then they may be able to tune for it there. But, like most of us, we do it at home, then drive it off to have it tuned & dynoed.

-Bryan
Old 5/29/05, 08:59 AM

another great option, i hope the aftermarket keeps blowing up for these cars!!!

as far as the tuning goes, i would never use a manufactured supplied tune or mail order tune. they are great for complex setups to get the car fired up or to get the car running good enought to get to the dyno etc....not everyone has a truck and trailor. other than that they are usually generic at best. every car is different, don't sell your self short with a 1 size fits all tune :nono:

:usa:
Old 5/29/05, 09:02 AM
Cobra Member

I agree. I will never use a canned tune either, but we need something to get to that tuner

-Bryan
Old 5/29/05, 09:20 AM
GT Member

Hey Med
Are you guna help me put mine on?
Old 5/29/05, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Excellent results for sure, but you guys need to pay attention to the cars modifications before comparing to other blowers and cars. It states the car has a full exhaust, which to me means it has headers and hi flow cats. Number one this should give it a good advantage in HP when supercharged and it should lower the boost numbers from a factory Mustang. That being said I think this is probably a 6 psi kit on a stock Mustang and I would expect the numbers to be around 400 rwhp.

Either way it's still impressive and shows you what can be done with the right combination.

Thanks Mike
Old 5/29/05, 11:47 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by killo-11@May 29, 2005, 9:23 AM
Hey Med
Are you guna help me put mine on?

darn straight bro.

I'm figuring you won't be able to hold out past Aug till you break down and order the BFG.
Old 5/29/05, 12:52 PM
Bullitt Member

There numbers are phically impossible! (this would seem better if I could spell but oh well) For a car to make 430 hp at 4 psi the car would have to have about 338 hp. These numbers are the same weather rear wheel or at the motor. If they get 430 hp at the wheels on 4 psi thaat means less the s/c it got 338 at the rear wheels. That seems to be such bull to me. The only person who made that king of rwhp had ported heads and other stuff. Not to bash them but it just seems irrealistic (is that a word?). Oh well. Call me if I am wrong it has been known to happen.
Old 5/29/05, 09:02 PM
GTR Member

i know of a TT set-up thats making 440rwhp at 3.5psi
Old 5/30/05, 11:46 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by ZwerRacing@May 29, 2005, 12:55 PM
There numbers are phically impossible! (this would seem better if I could spell but oh well) For a car to make 430 hp at 4 psi the car would have to have about 338 hp. These numbers are the same weather rear wheel or at the motor. If they get 430 hp at the wheels on 4 psi thaat means less the s/c it got 338 at the rear wheels. That seems to be such bull to me. The only person who made that king of rwhp had ported heads and other stuff. Not to bash them but it just seems irrealistic (is that a word?). Oh well. Call me if I am wrong it has been known to happen.

What are you basing this figure on? Could you give a link or post your derivations directly to show why a 4psi 430hp engine has to make 338 NA?

And also note this car has LT headers, full catback exhaust w/ Xpipe, 90mm MAF and tuning. So this car was a LOT stronger NA than a bone stock stang.

Some others posted concerns about Saleen's customer service and the need to ship your PCM to Saleen for programming. I think some of the top vendors in service will be authorized dealers of this kit, ex JDM etc and they should be able to provide good support. And they will have Diablo and SCT tunes developed for the Saleen SC that you can download to your own programmer.

I'm just not seeing how any other blower compares to the power and clean install package the Saleen offers. Note, by buying the JLT intake for $175, you get a 90mm MAF and better flowing intake than the 430rwhp test car!
Old 5/30/05, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by MedVader@May 30, 2005, 11:49 AM
What are you basing this figure on? Could you give a link or post your derivations directly to show why a 4psi 430hp engine has to make 338 NA?

And also note this car has LT headers, full catback exhaust w/ Xpipe, 90mm MAF and tuning. So this car was a LOT stronger NA than a bone stock stang.
Some others posted concerns about Saleen's customer service and the need to ship your PCM to Saleen for programming. I think some of the top vendors in service will be authorized dealers of this kit, ex JDM etc and they should be able to provide good support. And they will have Diablo and SCT tunes developed for the Saleen SC that you can download to your own programmer.

I'm just not seeing how any other blower compares to the power and clean install package the Saleen offers. Note, by buying the JLT intake for $175, you get a 90mm MAF and better flowing intake than the 430rwhp test car!

Lets see.. from what I heard the ATI will be cheaper throw out more HP and TQ and comes with a fat 3 core intercooler.... but saleen is more efficiant... but then so is my honda
Old 5/30/05, 05:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok you want to here the science behind my math. Well here goes nothing. One of the SI units for pressure is atm that stands for atmosphere. Standard conditions is 1 atm or 760 mm Hg (mercury) or 760 torr or most importantly for this conversation 14.7 psi. So every day on average 14.7 psi of air is getting naturally pushed into your motor. When you supercharge or turbo your motor you are pushing more air through your motor. Once you reach 14.7 psi of boost on a 100% efficient system you will effectively double your output. So by knowing this we can start out math. If you are running 4 psi of boost the total amount of air going through your motor is 18.7 psi. Now we set up a ratio of proportions. We know that they have 18.7 psi of air and are claiming to make 430 hp. We also know that a NA motor is pushing 14.7 psi of air so we come up with the simple math below. Giving us a 338 hp motor NA. This is if the system is 100 % efficient, which I doubt it is. Now I will state it again that even with their mods I doubt the motor made 338 hp NA. The people at BBR did it but they had ported heads, charge motion control plates, and intake, and some exhaust components. Now are you still questioning my math?!?!
[attachmentid=22778]
PS all the numbers I used were rear wheel HP. Also if it was 5 psi the motor would still need to make 324 hp to the rear wheels.
Old 5/30/05, 05:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by ZwerRacing@May 30, 2005, 6:03 PM
Ok you want to here the science behind my math. Well here goes nothing. One of the SI units for pressure is atm that stands for atmosphere. Standard conditions is 1 atm or 760 mm Hg (mercury) or 760 torr or most importantly for this conversation 14.7 psi. So every day on average 14.7 psi of air is getting naturally pushed into your motor. When you supercharge or turbo your motor you are pushing more air through your motor. Once you reach 14.7 psi of boost on a 100% efficient system you will effectively double your output. So by knowing this we can start out math. If you are running 4 psi of boost the total amount of air going through your motor is 18.7 psi. Now we set up a ratio of proportions. We know that they have 18.7 psi of air and are claiming to make 430 hp. We also know that a NA motor is pushing 14.7 psi of air so we come up with the simple math below. Giving us a 338 hp motor NA. This is if the system is 100 % efficient, which I doubt it is. Now I will state it again that even with their mods I doubt the motor made 338 hp NA. The people at BBR did it but they had ported heads, charge motion control plates, and intake, and some exhaust components. Now are you still questioning my math?!?!
[attachmentid=22778]
PS all the numbers I used were rear wheel HP. Also if it was 5 psi the motor would still need to make 324 hp to the rear wheels.
Not sure this logic is 100% accurate. By this assumption, you are saying the increase intake pressure is a directly and linearly proportional to hp output. I don't think that is correct. That's like saying that pumping up a tire to twice the normal amount of tire pressure, you'll get twice the gas mileage and be able to go twice as fast. It just isn't so.

An engine is basically a big air pump. It has to s u c k air in, and force or pump air out. So the atmospheric pressure inside an intake tube is actually a slight vacuum, it has to be, or air wouldn't get s u c ked into the engine. Then, air is being forced out the tail pipe, so the atomopheric pressure inside the exhaust is actually higher than 14.7. And of course, this change in atmospheric pressure depends on the RPM range the motor is operating under. Therefore, when air is being pumped INTO the engine, like with a supercharger, there is more pressure on the intake side than normal, much more pressure than normal. Instead of having to stink air in, air is getting forced or pumped into it, so I don't believe your calculations are totally accurate.

Then agian 430 RWHP with 4 psi sounds almost too good to be true. Maybe they have a really high reading dyno. Not all dyno's are created equal, they are mainly a tuning tool, not a measure of how fast a car is.

(can't say s u c k on here, huh?_
Old 5/30/05, 06:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ZwerRacing@May 30, 2005, 5:03 PM
[attachmentid=22778]

I like your logic, but you haven't normalized to flow rates. Psi is just one variable in the power equation. Imagine two blowers of different sizes. Both push 5 psi. Which one will give more power--the little blower at 5 psi, or the big blower at 5 psi?
Old 5/30/05, 06:02 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
instead of "s u c k" use drawn. but i think the engine dose not really draw the air in as much as atmospheric pressure pushes it into the lower psi cylinder.
Old 5/30/05, 09:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Nobody said the 430hp was at the wheels. I assume that was at the crank.
Old 5/30/05, 10:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by MedVader@May 28, 2005, 10:25 PM
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthr...96&page=1&pp=30

Easy/clean install.

Similar price to a Vortech.

Best looking engine bay by far.

Best TQ curve by far. A 430hp screw will smoke a 430hp centrifugal.
I think the SC debate is over. SALEEN.
SALEEN ....my favorite joke.How much for the floormats?
Old 5/30/05, 11:24 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by lostsoul@May 30, 2005, 4:06 PM
Lets see.. from what I heard the ATI will be cheaper throw out more HP and TQ and comes with a fat 3 core intercooler.... but saleen is more efficiant... but then so is my honda

Well lessee. The Saleen comes with a water/air intercooler.

I think the screw is more efficient at low rpm and the Procharger will be more efficient up top.

But one thing is for sure, an equal hp screw will make a lot more hp under the curve from stop to top and will have little problem smoking the Procharger. And with the 2300cc screw, the limit on hp is somewhere around 800hp.

Quick Reply: FUNNY how no one's talking about 430rwhp @ 4psi