GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Fuel pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/10, 04:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pumps?

I was wondering about one thing. Allot of places sell the dual ford gt pumps for 150bux or so. Some have used them in the past. Some use a bap for the stock pump.

Then you have the gt500 fuel system. Great but not sure on the specs on the individual pumps.

My main question is, has anyone ever used dual factory pumps? They seem reliable for the most part.

Any disadvantage to using two factory pumps in parallel? Anyone use pumps in a series?

Fluid dynamics dictate,

two pumps in parallel = twice the flow but the same pressure.
two pumps in a series = twice the pressure and the same flow rate
it also states that as flow rate goes up the pressure drops and vice versa.

Reason I ask is because I was thinking of using a second stock pump, or maybe even a third one. Shooting for about 650whp streetable.

Not that im looking to cut corners, an expensive engine needs proper fueling. But the stock pumps prove to be very reliable, never seen one that was not overdriven die.

Again to reiterate, does the stock pump run out of pressure capability? or does it run out of flow rate?
Old 10/8/10, 04:11 PM
GT Member

Shooting for about 650whp streetable
For 650 rear wheel, don't play around experimenting with the fuel supply, unless car is going to be a one-hit wonder on a dyno. But if car is going to be raced on a prepped surface (otherwise why would you want 650 rwhp?), fuel delivery is no joke. Get a proven product like the Fore Precision triple pump.

A lot depends upon what you mean by streetable. If your car is being dragstripped with 650 rear wheel, you will have to rebuild the thing from bumper to bumper, and that includes safety stuff like a 6 point rollbar (don't need a cage until 135+ or 9.999)...so spending a few extra bucks on a solid fuel system is a no brainer. Car can remain streetable as in street legal, but won't be very user-friendly.
Old 10/8/10, 08:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jaguarking11
I was wondering about one thing. Allot of places sell the dual ford gt pumps for 150bux or so. Some have used them in the past. Some use a bap for the stock pump.

Then you have the gt500 fuel system. Great but not sure on the specs on the individual pumps.

My main question is, has anyone ever used dual factory pumps? They seem reliable for the most part.

Any disadvantage to using two factory pumps in parallel? Anyone use pumps in a series?

Fluid dynamics dictate,

two pumps in parallel = twice the flow but the same pressure.
two pumps in a series = twice the pressure and the same flow rate
it also states that as flow rate goes up the pressure drops and vice versa.

Reason I ask is because I was thinking of using a second stock pump, or maybe even a third one. Shooting for about 650whp streetable.

Not that im looking to cut corners, an expensive engine needs proper fueling. But the stock pumps prove to be very reliable, never seen one that was not overdriven die.

Again to reiterate, does the stock pump run out of pressure capability? or does it run out of flow rate?
I think you're right and a lot of solutions are out there that don't make money for someone so they are ignored.

I'd like to know can the driver for a single stock pump run two or even three stock pumps? What I am not interested in is a BAP sorry running a 12 volt device at 18 volts doesn't sound like a good idea. I understand the stock pump does this to some degree because it is a nonreturn system so it slows down to lesson back pressure on the pump.

I think a return system is the way to go. You don't end up with hot gas sitting in fuel lines as it is constantly circulating in and out of the tank. The pumps run at a constant voltage and speed. The pressure is maintained by the pressure regulator and doesn't have to change at all with boost pressure if there is enough capacity in the pumps. Not exactly sure what my solution will be except for one thing it will be a return system.
Old 10/11/10, 11:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Well both well educated answers.

As for streetable, there will be reinforcements done to the frame to improve it. However there will be a boost controller on the engine so 650whp will be tuned down to about 500whp. The thing im trying to achieve is a street friendly vehicle. It will probably go down the 1/4 mile a few times, as well as the curvy ends.

As for now I am trying to decide on what my power goals should be for what my car needs to do. The only thing on my mind right now is jack of all trades and master of none. And no it does not come down to being able to beat this and that on the street. The only thing I know is that in in its current state it could use a bit more power as the chassis feels like there isn't enough engine to make use of it.

Back to the fuel system dilema, I have seen the triple hats sold, and to be honest it looks allot like snake oil. I know fueling can make or brake and engine, however logic dictates here that someone is getting ripped off, however the old adage comes to mind as you get what you pay for. As for fuel being hot, it makes less of a difference on a fuel injected engine than one would think.

In any case, I need to step back and evaluate what my goals should be, then decide on what is proper for me.
Old 10/12/10, 10:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jaguarking11
I have seen the triple hats sold, and to be honest it looks allot like snake oil. I know fueling can make or brake and engine, however logic dictates here that someone is getting ripped off
I'll let you explain that before I tear into it.
Old 10/12/10, 10:17 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone ever considered going with an aftermarket fuel pump? I've been wondering for a while because the more I read into it, all I find is a GT500 setup or the Boost A Pump, which I don't care much for. So does anyone know about using a Walbro or Bosch or anything of the sort?
Old 10/12/10, 02:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not really answering the questions here, but we just put a GT500 DFP kit on our M90-Roushcharged race car. The fuel injector duty cycle went from 100% (injectors hanging open) at WOT down to 30%.

No guesswork involved in this kit, just buy it, drop in the pump, and attach some wiring.
Old 10/13/10, 05:55 AM
GT Member

Well both well educated answers.
The only experience I have is paying other people to heavily modify my car. I don't know much about engines, fuel etc. I just listen to what the builders/tuners are doing with the car, and the rational for this mod and that mod....like fuel upgrades.

As for streetable, there will be reinforcements done to the frame to improve it. However there will be a boost controller on the engine so 650whp will be tuned down to about 500whp. The thing im trying to achieve is a street friendly vehicle. It will probably go down the 1/4 mile a few times, as well as the curvy ends.
Good idea having the boost controller...you are not going to be driving around on slicks and race fuel. I don't know anybody building a 650+ rwhp S197 who does not have a racing goal. These same folk are not looking to keep their vehicle user-friendly or even streetable. So what you are doing is a little unusual. Still, it will be a whole lot cheaper just to get a 650 dynosheet than actually rebuild the car with the intent of using the 650 for racing...and if you decide upon a racing goal.....it's dragstrip or track...not both.
Old 10/15/10, 04:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Goal is track, ive been to a few and honestly it does need a bit more power. My driving skills are maturing with time, however I am even close to where I want to be.

I have no interest in the dyno sheet to hang on my wall. I am after a properly built engine that can put down way more than I need now so I can slowly grow into it. I am after a weekend racer I can drive to the track and back and not have to tow it there. This car is going to slowly turn into a weekend car.

As for fueling, it was just a question. Got my answers and will make an educated decision when I get to it.

Thanks!
Old 11/9/10, 02:17 AM

I have the Kenne Bell boost a pump...so far so good. BUT i'm no whear near the HP that you wish to attain....