GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Fuel & Nitrous Pressure Hood Guage Pod

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/05, 03:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even though this is slightly an appearance mod it does have to do with all the other very functional mods of mine to date. Namely the upgraded fuel delivery system and Nitrous Express kit.

Anyways, I decided this would be my Thanksgiving Day project and before I go further and attempt to mount this for good I wanted to receive some opinions on the look. I would end up having it paint matched to the hood so it wouldnt clash.

I've wanted to mount a Nitrous Pressure Gauge right next to my Fuel Gauge to help complete that "Pro Street" look that Im so fond of. So keep that in mind.

Let me know what you guys think of the look or if you have any suggestions.

Thanks a bunch.

-Dan
Old 11/24/05, 04:07 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
even if pained it looks dumb

get a gauge pillar
Old 11/24/05, 04:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
:notnice: I think they would look better on the A pillar. Just my 2cents.
Old 11/24/05, 04:22 PM
Cobra Member

Well, here is the original setup with the single Fuel Pressure Gauge for comparisons sake.

Keep the opinions coming guys, I respect them.

-Dan
Old 11/24/05, 05:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it will look cool!
Old 11/24/05, 06:15 PM

I cant believe you drilled a hole through your hood for that.i would not put anything on the hood unless you had a real large cowl induction hood that could put the gauges under the cowl.Only my opinion but does not look cool at all.........
Old 11/25/05, 08:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I would have gone with a dash or pillar pod before that. Seems a little too beaucoup. A cowl hood with the guages in the cowl would look better. The one guage on the hood looks better than the hood pod, just too big and obtrusive. JMO.
Old 11/25/05, 10:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

I like the hand holding the guages..... and a Cal Poly sweat shirt.... I didnt know you were in CA!
Old 11/25/05, 10:09 AM
Cobra Member

Dan if you like it go with it...That being said in my humble opinion I would leave it black. If you paint it the body color I feel it would end up looking like an out of place "bump". With it black it would lend itself more to the competition/prostreet look your going for. Another suggestion would to be to make a gasket to go between the pod and your hood. This might help make up the unevenness between the hood and pod and help you with the gap issues. As an added bonus it would seal everything up from the weather. In a word I think it could end up look'n cool.
Old 11/27/05, 02:47 PM
Bullitt Member

I think your "holder" looks bored! <chuckle>

I think the idea is great, but I personally think it is a little big for that spot. Won't it block your view pretty substatially?

Mike E
Old 11/27/05, 10:00 PM
Cobra Member

The idea about the rubber seat/gasket is one I was already planning to use, its nice to know that there is another thinking like me though.

I just have to find a thick enough sheet of rubber to start on the final fab work.

IMO, the larger dual gauge pod doesnt obstruct my view of the road that much. The sideview mirrors and the a-pillars on the other hand... thats an obstruction to me.

This is one mod that I could go either way with, I could leave the dual pod idea alone and just mount the Nitrous Pressure Gauge with its own pod and mount it right next to the Fuel one. Or, I could use the larger dual gauge pod and mount both gauges in it for a more solid look. Either way I go, there will be a lot of people out there that wont like it. I suspect the people that dont like my single gauge on the hood wont like the dual pod unit either.

The other opinion is... even though some people dont like what Im doing they can say that the job was done well and clean, just not to their tastes.

Thanks to those who share a similar taste to me and could help me with my decision to finish the project. I will post a final pic or 2 or 3 when Im done.

-Dan
Old 11/27/05, 10:58 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't care for the look personally. If you like it though, that's all that matters.
Old 11/28/05, 09:24 AM
GT Member

I doubt it would pass inspection due to the height of it for starters. That pod is designed to be inside the car as well. It will probably not hold up outside. I would go pillar or dash
Old 11/30/05, 09:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by qwik huh@November 28, 2005, 8:27 AM
I doubt it would pass inspection due to the height of it for starters. That pod is designed to be inside the car as well. It will probably not hold up outside. I would go pillar or dash
I do not understand, what type of inspection? If you are refering to tech inspection, there was no problem with my gauge the last time I visited the track.

I think it will hold up fine since its plastic. The neoprene will help keep water out too.

Anyways, I went ahead and mounted it for good tonight. I still need to put the Nitrous Pressure Gauge into place though.

-Dan
Old 12/1/05, 07:28 AM
GT Member

I meant state safety inspection. In PA that would fail for blocking the drivers view
Old 12/1/05, 07:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

You should get one of those cowl hoods and mount some hidden in the taller pat of the hood....
Old 12/1/05, 11:26 AM
Cobra Member

And no, it would not be a problem with state inspection since we dont have such a thing. Look at all the guys running 2 1/2" cowl hoods and more. No problems at all and the same height here.

And no, I shouldnt get one of those cowl hoods just so I can mount MY GAUGES where YOU WANT THEM.

-Dan
Old 12/1/05, 05:37 PM
Cobra Member

Here it is, the nitrous gauge is pressed in (not hooked up yet until I decide on a possible redesign of the nitrous and fuel solenoids positions).

As you can also see, this was all done just in time for yet another strong rain. And the neoprene does an awesome job.

-Dan
Old 12/1/05, 05:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the idea has potential. It brings back memories of when I "came of age" car-wise in the mid-80's and Pro Street was all the rage I'd love to put a narrowed 9" rear end in my car with tubs, big ole 21.5 " wide M/T Sportsmans and 5.13 gears ... woo hoo!

Quick Reply: Fuel & Nitrous Pressure Hood Guage Pod