GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRUSTRATED....need help please

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/05, 03:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok-

this has been a week long project. and I can't get this to work...I am so frustrated I want to scream. :bang:

I have an 05 Mustang GT with K&N Intake, No HC trap, and Bassani Axlebacks. Brent is aware of all of this.

Brent at DTP Racing has been trying to get me a custom tune for my diablosport predator for over a week now. Per his instructions, I hook up my preadator to the car and laptop (via USB). I start DS downloader, I select "export orginal backup" on the predator, and then choose "import tune from predator" in DS downloader. I then receive my orginal backup to my computer from the predator. Brent says to NOT save it as an ORI file, but instead click no when it asks me if I want to save it as so. After clicking no, I can save it as an .FRG file to my desktop. He says to save it as my name...so I save richardbackup.frg to the desktop. Then I e-mail him this orginal backup FRG file.

After a couple hours of him making me a new tune, he sends me back through e-mail richardsKN.frg file. I plug in the predator, start up DSdownloader. Click send tune to predator, choose the richardsKN.frg file, and an error message comes up. Asking me for a “valid base file (fbjr3g5.frg)" and that it is needed. I tried renaming my orginal backup FRG file to that, and that STILL didn’t work.

No matter what I do, it says a valid base file is required and will not send my custom tune to the predator. I have a valid basefile, sitting right on my desktop named richardbackup.frg. so whats the deal.

Diablosport is closed, and so is DTP racing.

Has anyone had this problem? am I missing something. Please help. :bang:
Old 7/6/05, 04:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

UPDATE-

Brent e-mailed me back and sent me a base file named fbjr3g5.frg The predator accepted the custom tune.

installed tune, car runs for about 3 min...then goes in to failsafe mode and shuts off. Its doing the same thing it did last week when he sent me the first DTP tune. I have had three DTP tunes now...all do the same thing. Car runs for about 3 min...then beeps, fail safe mode displays in the message center, and then turns off completely.

getting discouraged.
Old 7/6/05, 05:25 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just curious, how does it react to other tunes that are canned?
Does it do the same thing?

And how much experience does this guy have with 05s being tuned....
Not tuning in general, but 05s.
Old 7/6/05, 05:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Runs fine on the canned 87 and 91 octane tunes.

the predator is also updated to the newest revision (r21 I think).

Brent at DTP Racing has ALOT of experience with tuning these cars. Alot of people have used him.
Old 7/6/05, 05:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting! I have run no less than 20 Diablosport Custom Tunes and never experienced that problem. Performance has not always been optimal but the engine has never shut off or gone into FailSafe mode.
Old 7/6/05, 06:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

what process do you use to send your custom tunes to your predator, and then car? am I missing a step? every had that base file error message?
Old 7/6/05, 06:14 PM
GT Member

I was at DTP yesterday and talked to Brent while we had the Bullitt on the dyno. He has a convertible 05 and has plenty of experience with them.
Old 7/6/05, 11:13 PM

I'm new to all of this too and having a number of problems with the Diablosport staff, but I think I see what your problem is. The predator tune uses the stock computer tune and modifies it. It uses a calibration ID and once your predator is locked to the vehicle, another stock tune from a different vehicle will not work to use as a base for the custom tune. Im assuming the base file your tuner sent you is one from another vehicle. Try this:

1. Turn on your predator
2. Once the predator is booted up to the first menu, go to your computer and select the "get tune file from predator" button.
3. It will ask you if you want to save the file as an ori, click no, and then you can save it where you want. I put mine in the diablosport folder with the dsdownloader program. It should automatically name the file.

Hope this helps. Also, the phone number to call diablosport directly is (561)908-0040. Pick the tech support, the tuning option just refers you back to the web site. Not an easy number to find. I've called three times for help and have spent no less than 9 minutes waiting on hold for someone to answer. Good luck
Old 7/7/05, 03:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have always found DiaboSport to be extremely helpful. Ask for Cole.
Old 7/7/05, 10:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Wookdawg@July 6, 2005, 10:16 PM

1. Turn on your predator
2. Once the predator is booted up to the first menu, go to your computer and select the "get tune file from predator" button.
3. It will ask you if you want to save the file as an ori, click no, and then you can save it where you want. I put mine in the diablosport folder with the dsdownloader program. It should automatically name the file.

I did this...and it said it needed to find "fbjr3g5.frg", a valid base file. I already recieved my base file from the tuner...thats what I sent to brent!

Brent e-mailed me another tune (this is the 5th one I think), and I installed it this morning. Car atleast runs...doesn't shut off. But now I am worried that because he has had so much trouble with my car, this latest tune might not be that much better than the stock tune. The car doesn't feel that much stronger.

sigh.
Old 7/7/05, 02:28 PM

This kind of crap is what makes me hold off on getting a tune. I need one that I can plug in to the car with no darn laptop, no dyno time, no emails, no phone calls, and still have a noticeable increase in power with zero ill effects. If anyone can guarantee me that, I'll listen to 'em. Car is stock except for K&N dropin filter, vtrap removed, underdrive pullys, and Flowmaster mufflers.
Old 7/7/05, 02:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

ok, except for your pullies...I am pretty sure you can just pop a canned predator tune in.

its when you do intake that things go screwy, and you have to get it custom tuned. these cars are sensitive to running rich/lean
Old 7/7/05, 05:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'd start from scratch....
- flash your car back to your stock tune that is in your predator and make sure it runs fine.
- wipe out all custom tunes that you have in your predator.
- back up the stock tune to your predator
- go to your computer and download the stock tune from your predator to your computer
- send the custom tune to your predator
- flash your car with custom tune

those are the steps I would use if I were in your situation.
Old 7/7/05, 06:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just out of curiosity what version of DS Downloader are you using? Make sure you are using version 1,2,6,0.
Old 7/7/05, 08:48 PM
Cobra R Member

This computer stuff drives me WILD when it does not work as I am not computer literate. If it were not for help I received from someone here I would still be loss. At times it is a huge stress builder trying to get tunes to and from the Predator. For some of you it is sand box simple for ones like me it is like a final EXAM. For all the ones like me thanks to all of you people out there for your help. I do disparately need it!!