GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP/Whipple supercharger and hot weather...

Search this Thread

Old 1/25/07, 10:03 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FRPP/Whipple supercharger and hot weather...

i've been eyeing the FRPP Whipple intercooled supercharger for a while.. 500HP would go nicely with my GT500/GT-H conversion

in any case, the frequently asked questions still arise..
- how safe is 11 psi with the stock block and drivetrain?
- would it cope with the temperatures out here in Dubai without blowing up in flames? :S temperatures out here go as low as 60-77F in winter time (Nov->Apr) but soar as high as 105-120F in summer.
- would water injection help against detonation and heat related problems?
- and for those who got this supercharger, did it ship with the Pro-Cal tool preloaded with the tune or you had to send your ECU in for tuning?
Old 1/25/07, 05:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G.T
i've been eyeing the FRPP Whipple intercooled supercharger for a while.. 500HP would go nicely with my GT500/GT-H conversion

in any case, the frequently asked questions still arise..
- how safe is 11 psi with the stock block and drivetrain?
- would it cope with the temperatures out here in Dubai without blowing up in flames? :S temperatures out here go as low as 60-77F in winter time (Nov->Apr) but soar as high as 105-120F in summer.
- would water injection help against detonation and heat related problems?
- and for those who got this supercharger, did it ship with the Pro-Cal tool preloaded with the tune or you had to send your ECU in for tuning?

to answer your questions. I have the intercooled kit!

its actually 10PSI and 475HP! not 500, I think ford racing exagerated there a little bit. and its very safe on the block and drivetrain, it comes with a very very conservative tune from Ford Racing.

yes it would cope with the hot weather.

thats why they make the intercooler is to prevent detonation. if you have the intercooler, you'll have no problems

and no it did not ship with the pro-cal tune. the pro-cal tool is not ready yet through ford racing. the intercooler kit is not ready through ford racing, so i had to get mine through a whipple dealer and I got a great deal on it. you had to pull the ECU out, overnight it to whipple, they reflashed it and overnighted back to you. no biggie, the car was dismantled for 5 days.
Old 1/25/07, 07:14 PM
Cobra Member

Intercooler makes the charge air denser as well, resulting is significant power gain.
Old 1/25/07, 07:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Louie, you may have a problem with a Whipple, or any roots/Twinscrew design. I have a Roush on mine and even though it fits with no clearance issues it did not fit under the CS6 hood even though it is supposed to be the same as stock height. I sent the pictures the Shelby and they concluded that I must have gotten a bad mold and they shipped me out another hood but I have not been able to get it test fitted yet. I'll let you know when I do.

Just given you a heads up
Old 1/26/07, 08:35 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Problems

Your intercooler will work well even in Dubai. I have the Saleen Supercharger and have driven it with no problems in the Southern US where it is hot and very humid. I have been to Dubai and although it is hot it is not very humid. The only time my aircharge temperature increased was when I was sitting in traffic for a long time. When I am moving the intercooler worked great and I usually had an aircharge temperature of around 110 to 120 degrees F. I also suggest that you put some redline water wetter solution into your intercooler which will increse the cooling efficiency. Good Luck to you in Dubai and please tell the nice people at the Gazebo Indian Restraunt that Derek wishes them well.
Old 1/26/07, 10:04 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by mustang_lurkers
The only time my aircharge temperature increased was when I was sitting in traffic for a long time. When I am moving the intercooler worked great and I usually had an aircharge temperature of around 110 to 120 degrees F.
Well, I don't have one, but when I do I'll be getting the intercooled kit and actually downgrading the pully and having it custom tuned.

I've been to Dubai too, and I live in the only place in this country that duplicates that environment. Detonation is a way of life out here in the Desert in the summer. I routinely have to retard my timing a few degree's to minimize it during that season. This is on a car with just bolt-ons, I wouldn't want to be detonating at all with a blower in the mix.
Old 1/26/07, 11:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

Louie, My Whipple just arrived and is awaiting installation. I can't answer your weather related questions, but in reference to the PCM I learned the following:

If you buy yours through Ford Racing or a Ford dealer, you will receive a yellow voucher with a voucher # in the kit. You follow the directions on the voucher and request your PCM flash tool online. Ford Racing will drop ship it to you immediately. You do have to get a PCM # off the back of the computer which is kind of a pain, but they give you directions on the website on how to do it. Anyway, at least you don't have to send the PCM in. I just requested my flash tool last night and they told me I would have it Monday.

If you buy it through Lethal performance, or directly from Whipple or any other Whipple dealer, you will be required to send your entire computer to them.
Old 1/26/07, 12:04 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GPStang06
Louie, you may have a problem with a Whipple, or any roots/Twinscrew design. I have a Roush on mine and even though it fits with no clearance issues it did not fit under the CS6 hood even though it is supposed to be the same as stock height.
Thanks for the heads up buddy.. i'm sure i'll have even more problems, as my hood (got it in September) didn't clear the Shelby CS6 FRPP strut tower brace, the right strut bolt, or my JLT-II heat sheild.. i guess i'll end up cutting through the bottom layer of the hood to fit this or any other blower

Originally Posted by mustang_lurkers
I have been to Dubai and although it is hot it is not very humid. The only time my aircharge temperature increased was when I was sitting in traffic for a long time......
and please tell the nice people at the Gazebo Indian Restraunt that Derek wishes them well.
i guess you haven't been here around July-September..
Temperatures soar over 115F and humidity over 80% :S
Traffic is a daily nightmare, although i'm one of the lucky few that lives close to work, it's inevitable to get stuck in bad traffic every now and then.

PM me if you're ever back in Dubai.. will take you out for some indian food at the Gazebo or Khazana

Originally Posted by OKLACOP
If you buy yours through Ford Racing or a Ford dealer, you will receive a yellow voucher with a voucher # in the kit. You follow the directions on the voucher and request your PCM flash tool online. Ford Racing will drop ship it to you immediately......

If you buy it through Lethal performance, or directly from Whipple or any other Whipple dealer, you will be required to send your entire computer to them.
Shipping my ECU across the globe is gonna be a pain, so my best bet is buying the blower from FRPP.. although earlier reports in this thread said FRPP doesn't have the intercooled kit, which i definitely need for the crap weather i have here :S

finally.. nobody commented on Water/Alcohol injection.
i doubt i'd find a local shop experienced with these, but i couldn't find any "bolt-on kits" of types online either
Old 1/26/07, 01:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I am the very fortunate owner of the, as yet, only FRPP intercooled Super charger. They should be available any day now. It is identical to the Whipple intercooled kit but came with the Flash tool. Call my buddy Rick at Downs Ford Motorsports in Toms River NJ. They have a big web page. Tell him I sent you and see if he can figure out a way to get the FRPP unit mailed out to you.

I have had mine for about a month and it is absolutely unbelievable!!! Rides like a normal car around town but when you hit it it becomes a BEAST.

I have toasted WRX -sti's, C6 vettes and my buddy's 911S. Not to mention all the tricked out Civics, eclipses etc that the teenagers Pimp out here in NJ.

Good Luck

Neil
Old 1/27/07, 11:36 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

thanks for the tip Neil.

btw, does this supercharger use GT500 fuel pumps and rails?
Old 1/28/07, 11:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by NDHESQ
I am the very fortunate owner of the, as yet, only FRPP intercooled Super charger. They should be available any day now. It is identical to the Whipple intercooled kit but came with the Flash tool. Call my buddy Rick at Downs Ford Motorsports in Toms River NJ. They have a big web page. Tell him I sent you and see if he can figure out a way to get the FRPP unit mailed out to you.

the only one??? last time i checked i had it before you. LOL
Old 1/28/07, 01:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Well Mav did beat me by about a week. But he has a Whipple and I have a FRPP. Even though they are the same exact thing I like saying I have the first FRPP. Its my little (very little) place in Mustang history!!!

Yes it come with the GT 500 fuel pumps. From my experience and the reviews from others, like Mav, this is the most complete well built super charger kit out there right now. I can't imagine having any more usable power. The car is so fast now its unbelievable. Not in Z06 or Viper territory but not that far from it for half the price.
Old 1/28/07, 08:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

hmmm i am wondering if Doug can tune the ECM instead of sending it out to whipple, would a local dealer be able to tune the ECM properly
Old 1/29/07, 12:47 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

i was just about to send Doug an email asking the same!
seeing that some units like the Kenne Bell ship out with tune files for handheld tuners.. i'm sure it's technically possible.

Doug.. do you copy?
Old 1/29/07, 02:06 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Neil and Maverick: do you still have the full FRPP instruction manual? could you possibly mail it to me? either the original if you don't need it, or a photocopy (unless it's a PDF!)
i can paypal you whatever charge you incur (for copying and shipping)
Old 1/29/07, 08:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by G.T
Neil and Maverick: do you still have the full FRPP instruction manual? could you possibly mail it to me? either the original if you don't need it, or a photocopy (unless it's a PDF!)
i can paypal you whatever charge you incur (for copying and shipping)

i can photo copy mine and mail it to you if you want.
Old 1/29/07, 09:56 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MaverickMLFD371
i can photo copy mine and mail it to you if you want.
it should be a clone copy of what Neil has right?
i'd love to have a copy.. if it's not too much trouble
Old 1/29/07, 10:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Mav and I have the eact same supercharger even our Dyno runs are nearly identical...except I am 3 rwhp higher!!!

If Mav has a problem copying it let me know and I will get mine copied. Its fairly lengthy and mine was kind of messed up lying on the garage floor during the install but it's probably readable.

This is defintiely the supercharger to go with. Good Luck.
Old 1/29/07, 11:05 AM
Banned

Thanks for the invite Louie!

You are right. I wasn't in Dubai in the summer time. 80 percent humidity is really high! I remember the traffic being really bad in the city but not to bad in the out lying areas. Thanks for the invite to the Gazebo to eat indian food but I would be satisfied by just getting a ride in your car after you get the supercharger installed. You will have to post some pictures of the car when you are finished. A great back drop would be at that mall that looks like ancient egypt with the giant statues and stuff.
Old 1/29/07, 11:05 AM
Banned

Thanks for the invite Louie!

You are right. I wasn't in Dubai in the summer time. 80 percent humidity is really high! I remember the traffic being really bad in the city but not to bad in the out lying areas. Thanks for the invite to the Gazebo to eat indian food but I would be satisfied by just getting a ride in your car after you get the supercharger installed. You will have to post some pictures of the car when you are finished. A great back drop would be at that mall that looks like ancient egypt with the giant statues and stuff.

Quick Reply: FRPP/Whipple supercharger and hot weather...