GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP/Stingers Evaluation

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/07, 10:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might find this strange but my drone is louder with the stock tune that it is with Doug's tune. I noticed this when conversing with a passenger. The exhaust note seems to have more authority with the tune. I attribute this to the timing change. What do you think?
Old 1/20/07, 06:46 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mongoose
You might find this strange but my drone is louder with the stock tune that it is with Doug's tune. I noticed this when conversing with a passenger. The exhaust note seems to have more authority with the tune. I attribute this to the timing change. What do you think?
I've already had BamaChips installed... can't compare, however, many have reported your same findings. Have you noticed that the drone becomes less intense with break-in, and does the tone change any? Maybe it's my imagination, but just after a few days they already seem to be a little tamer with regards to drone
Old 1/20/07, 08:42 AM
Bullitt Member

SteelTownStang: Just thought I would let you know, I recieved the package today, they are in great shape and arrive really quick. I will try and get the installed today. Can't wait! I will let you know how it goes. I am going with the FLOW today! LOL
Old 1/20/07, 11:22 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by NJJOE
SteelTownStang: Just thought I would let you know, I recieved the package today, they are in great shape and arrive really quick. I will try and get the installed today. Can't wait! I will let you know how it goes. I am going with the FLOW today! LOL
Hey Joe, Glad to hear that they arrived safely and that you are satisfied... I know that you're going to love them, Keep me updated on the install and PM me if you have any questions...
Old 1/20/07, 11:36 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

OK... I twicked everything today have have the tips perfectly centered and pushed back some. I had to cut the notch about 3/8" further on one and was able to make up the difference on the H-pipe connection with the other... As a mentioned, this was no simple bolt-on, but they are perfect now. The tips still stick out futher than stock, but about the same as the Flows, so I'm happy.
Attached Thumbnails FRPP/Stingers Evaluation-01-15-07-flowfrpp.jpg   FRPP/Stingers Evaluation-01-20-07-back.jpg   FRPP/Stingers Evaluation-01-20-07-back1.jpg   FRPP/Stingers Evaluation-01-20-07-bside.jpg   FRPP/Stingers Evaluation-01-20-07-sidetips.jpg  

FRPP/Stingers Evaluation-01-20-07-under.jpg  
Old 1/20/07, 01:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I see you put your clamps behind the notch which is what i originally did. I could never get it tight enough there. I ended up putting the clamp over the notch and tightened it up no problem. The drone doesn't bother me much.

BTW, I love your quarter window louvers and GT/CS scoops. Where did you get yours? Your car looks sweet.
Old 1/20/07, 03:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Jimp
I see you put your clamps behind the notch which is what i originally did. I could never get it tight enough there. I ended up putting the clamp over the notch and tightened it up no problem. The drone doesn't bother me much.

BTW, I love your quarter window louvers and GT/CS scoops. Where did you get yours? Your car looks sweet.
Thanks. I got the GT/CS scoops from KC-Clevparts@aol.com and the side louvers from MT Autosports(Pacific Motorsports).
Old 1/20/07, 10:58 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,706 Posts
Hey Pat ? after reading over your evaluation, I'm really sorry that you had to go through all the hassle while installing the stingers and although your not the only one whose been through it ? you seem to share the very same problems as most of the other members who've also had problems with clamps breaking and hangers not lining up properly ? and if it took you 4 hours before you were finally able to straighten everything out ? with my luck it would more than likely had taken me 8 hours if not longer in which I can guarantee there would be no way in hell that my patience would have held up nearly as long and don't quite understand how you kept your composure ? all I can say is you're a better man that I no question about that lol. with that being said ? I've decided that it's just not worth going through the hassle for an axle back that provides really nothing more than just drone ? think I'll probably end up going with either the Magnaflow power flows or GTA's
Old 1/21/07, 06:08 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Hey Pat ? after reading over your evaluation, I'm really sorry that you had to go through all the hassle while installing the stingers and although your not the only one whose been through it ? you seem to share the very same problems as most of the other members who've also had problems with clamps breaking and hangers not lining up properly ? and if it took you 4 hours before you were finally able to straighten everything out ? with my luck it would more than likely had taken me 8 hours if not longer in which I can guarantee there would be no way in hell that my patience would have held up nearly as long and don't quite understand how you kept your composure ? all I can say is you're a better man that I no question about that lol. with that being said ? I've decided that it's just not worth going through the hassle for an axle back that provides really nothing more than just drone ? think I'll probably end up going with either the Magnaflow power flows or GTA's
Rock, I don't have patience either... . All is well now.You know how the weather has been, but I have got it out a few times since the install and I'm already getting use to the sound. I'm not going to lie, there is definitely drone, but it's not bad. I guess some are more senitive to it than other, some say that the Flows drone, but I didn't think so . I'm almost out of 87 and going back to 93 race(where I'm staying). I'm anxious to see/hear whether that'll effect them at all. Some say that it will. I've read a lot of good things about Magnaflows and GTAs. Installing these axle backs are "hit & miss". It's either going to be a piece of cake or a PIA. I've experience both. When you decide, I can give you a hand
Old 1/21/07, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Rock, I don't have patience either... . All is well now.You know how the weather has been, but I have got it out a few times since the install and I'm already getting use to the sound. I'm not going to lie, there is definitely drone, but it's not bad. I guess some are more senitive to it than other, some say that the Flows drone, but I didn't think so . I'm almost out of 87 and going back to 93 race(where I'm staying). I'm anxious to see/hear whether that'll effect them at all. Some say that it will. I've read a lot of good things about Magnaflows and GTAs. Installing these axle backs are "hit & miss". It's either going to be a piece of cake or a PIA. I've experience both. When you decide, I can give you a hand
As short as my patience is concerned ? I'll need all the help I can get.. yea I also know about the weather which really sucks so it looks like it may be quite a while before I'm able to see Mike at Powerhouse Automotive
Old 1/21/07, 02:04 PM
GT Member

80 miles on my exhaust and the drone is basically gone. When I first got them I couldnt drive with my windows up, now I can.
Old 1/21/07, 02:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Agleon
80 miles on my exhaust and the drone is basically gone. When I first got them I couldnt drive with my windows up, now I can.
That's reassuring
Old 1/21/07, 03:13 PM

Hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question but I suppose that I just don't quite understand how the drone minimizes as they become broken in
Old 1/21/07, 03:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question but I suppose that I just don't quite understand how the drone minimizes as they become broken in
neither do i. its my theory that the driver adjusts to the sound over time.
Old 1/21/07, 03:28 PM

well I'm already partially deaf in one ear and the last thing I need is to go completely deaf in either one or both
Old 1/21/07, 04:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm not sure either, but I've experienced this phenomenon with most of my modified exhaust even up until my recent departed Flows. Obviously mufflers with fiberglass- the fiberglass will break down and some fibers will be blown out changing the sound/tone. Aluminized mufflers will develope deposites and rust, also changing sound. Others like the Stingers, without fiberglass and the propensity for rust, may have other varibles that factor in, i.e., steel will expand and contract with heat slightly changing its properties, the metal screens contained within the canisters can fill with carbon and develops deposites as well. It's hard to explan, but I've only had these Stingers for less than a week, with minimal driving, and they haven't hit that deafening drone pitch they hit the first night out.... Sure, most of it is probably in you head, but all exhaust will change slightly, including OEM... IMO
Old 1/21/07, 04:13 PM

Seems to make sense to me, so who am I to say any different ? you guy's know far more about these axle backs than I do..
Old 1/21/07, 04:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Seems to make sense to me, so who am I to say any different ? you guy's know far more about these axle backs than I do..
Who knows, maybe I'm going deaf...Did you say something...lol?
Old 1/21/07, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang

Who knows, maybe I'm going deaf...Did you say something...lol?
ehh, come again ? I couldn't quite hear what you said
Old 1/21/07, 09:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I think you would be happy with the GTA's.They sound better than stock and not so loud.I remember my Javelin SST w/390 strret car.The darn thing had a 525 lift cam and two chamber Flows running 3" pipe.It was really loud so the Stingers aren't didly compared to that ride.My wife wore earplugs in that car.
Now that my wife and I hit the big five-O last year the Stingers are perfect for us old gray hairs cruzing in a new hot rod.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: FRPP/Stingers Evaluation