GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP Power Upgrade Pkg Dealer Installation Cost

Search this Thread

Old 6/13/07, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FRPP Power Upgrade Pkg Dealer Installation Cost

Hi All - I recently purchased the cold air kit/muffler pack and am now shopping around for a dealer to install it. The quotes I received varied quite a bit and some dealers seem to be resistant and/or not experienced with the product. I spoke with the FRPP rep and he states it shouldn't take more than an hour in labor. To avoid any warranty issues, I will only have a dealer do the work.

What are your experiences on the costs and can you recommend a dealer in the Northern NJ area? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 6/13/07, 02:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by chiefdave
Hi All - I recently purchased the cold air kit/muffler pack and am now shopping around for a dealer to install it. The quotes I received varied quite a bit and some dealers seem to be resistant and/or not experienced with the product. I spoke with the FRPP rep and he states it shouldn't take more than an hour in labor. To avoid any warranty issues, I will only have a dealer do the work.

What are your experiences on the costs and can you recommend a dealer in the Northern NJ area? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Save yourself some money, do it yourself. You really dont even need a jack for the mufflers. easy install. my 2cents.
Old 6/13/07, 03:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Go to the Ford Racing team website, click on performance parts, click on "where to buy" and click on search by region. there are three dealers in NJ that handle the frrp stuff.
Old 6/13/07, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by RKNMACH
Go to the Ford Racing team website, click on performance parts, click on "where to buy" and click on search by region. there are three dealers in NJ that handle the frrp stuff.
Thanks, but I've already checked that out. Actually, only one is a Ford dealer, the other 2 are just authorized parts distributors. So far, I've had 2 dealers tell me it's a 4-5 hour job. Unbelievable!
Old 6/13/07, 04:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Install it yourself....its the easiest install you are going to get.
Old 6/13/07, 06:02 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by chiefdave

A few months back I was thinking about doing the FRPP power upgrade pack, x-pipe, strut tower brace and short throw shifter all at one time. My dealership quoted 5 hours @$80/hr, give or take a hour. My father passed away, so I didn't do anything at that point. Anyway fast forward to today, I just had my GTAs and x-pipe installed last Friday for $140 at the same dealer.
Old 6/13/07, 06:04 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
Install it yourself....its the easiest install you are going to get.

Doesn't it have to be installed at a dealership to have it covered under your factory warranty? That may be a concern for him.
Old 6/13/07, 06:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SpiderMan79x
Doesn't it have to be installed at a dealership to have it covered under your factory warranty? That may be a concern for him.

If it isn't, do it yourself. Maybe an hour and a half max. Very easy just make sure to install the MAF the correct way(will only go in one way)
Old 6/13/07, 07:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Some people are so scared of having warranty problems. Just do it yourself. It's so easy even a caveman can do it!

Even with all the crap in my sig i haven't had a problem at the dealership.
Old 6/13/07, 09:57 PM
GT Member

Unfortunately all dealers aren't cool. The dealership I bought my car at and the one I now have it serviced at are cool with mods from what I can tell as long as a Ford dealer installs them. However, with that being said, I checked the FRPP website and found this under the warranty description:

Ford Racing Performance Parts are sold "as is" with no warranty. A Limited Warranty is available for some select parts and will be denoted by the following logo...

2) Power Packages for the 2005 – 2007 Mustang GT
The warranty will cover parts and labor to replace defective components on Ford Dealer installed parts only.
  • A 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty is applicable if installed at the time of vehicle delivery
  • A 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty is in effect if installed after the date of vehicle delivery but prior to expiration of 3 years / 36,000 mile vehicle warranty
So if his dealership isn't cool, then he could have potential problems I guess if one of his parts is "defective." Even then the extent of his problem would be replacing a CAI/Pro-Cal device as that is the most expensive component of that package at $700ish. He could get the GTAs for around $280ish. I think the chances that he'll suffer that fate is very slim, but still a risk he may or may not be willing to take.

People may or may not agree with me on this, but there's also a certain level of comfort from knowing that if he decides to sell the car at some point that the parts would be "Ford" parts and installed at the dealership. That's alot easier sell on a potential "everyday" buyer than someone who did some mods in his driveway. Maybe it's different in other parts of the country, but that's the perception and reality here. I would think the vast majority of new Mustang buyers don't ever do any performance mods. Maybe I'm wrong.

Where I work there are 8 S197 models (4 V6, 3 GTs and 1 Saleen Stage 1) and 12 SN95 models (5 V6, 7 GTs). Aside from the fact that I'm probably psycho for knowing exactly how many Mustangs are at my workplace, only 2 have mods. A 2003 GT that a lady drives who has no clue what's on the car. Her husband has 5 mustangs of varied years all the way back to a 1969, and he added exhaust, CAI and I think UDPs and it seems like something else. Then there is my car which I just had the GTAs and x-pipe installed. Othewise the rest are bone stock other than a metal fuel door or something. That might be unusual though.
Old 6/13/07, 10:55 PM
Cobra R Member

the parts are warranteed and with a proper tune (comes with the kit) you won't have any problems. I have the steeda cai which is the same as the frpp and I have the stingers from borla same as frpp. If you can't trust these scam artist dealerships, I will do it for you if you drive up to CT.
Old 6/13/07, 11:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd just do it myself.
Old 6/14/07, 05:03 AM

Thank you for your responses so far. Generally I agree that it would be easier, cheaper and more fun to do the install myself. However, for the same reasons some of you brought up (dealer issues, warranty, future resale, etc), I am very inclined to have a dealer do it.

Anyway, here is my personal mod story. I have had my 'vert for 2 years now (yes, only 1 year left of warranty) and after reading these forums, I started to get the itch. So I went to my local dealer to test drive a Shelby GT because I was interested in a short-throw shifter as my first mod. I didn't have an extensive test drive, but was sold on getting a new shifter. They even offered a test drive of a used supercharged Saleen, but I declined as I was upfront about my mission (and maybe because I didn't leave my credit card at home).

I met with the parts manager to get estimates on the Hurst, but decided that I want to keep the stock ****. The only other option he could provide was the Roush. So, I told him I'll think about it some more before pulling the trigger.

Afterwards, I called a speed shop that sells the Hurst/Tri-Ax/Pro 5.0 and asked his opinion on shifters and he recommended the Tri-Ax and, on a whim, I brought it and had him install it the same day. While there, I found out that they had one power pack left in stock that they could let go for cost (I can't resist a bargain).

I called back the dealer to let him know I decided against a shifter (he didn't needed to know I already had a new one) and that I went with the power pack instead. Well, his reaction was that they won't do the install because I didn't buy the part from them. So then I started calling all dealerships in my area and have gotten quotes of 325, 500 and 550. Finally, I found one that quoted me 150 and that's where I am going. Wish me luck as this dealer stated they never installed one before, but, based on all your comments, I believe this should be doable based on the amount of time it should take.

Thanks for listening (reading) to my boring story.
Old 6/14/07, 08:01 AM
Bullitt Member

If you don't mind the drive down to the Jersey Shore call Rick at Down's Ford MotoSports Dept in Toms River. Tell him I gave you his name and request Bob does all the work on your car.

Be warned the "power" bug is infectious you WILL NOT be satisfied with just a CAI and a tune. Go all the way and get "Whipplized" with the Ford Super Pack.

I put mine on almost a year ago after going the CAI route first and have never regreted the decision. I think my car will keep up with all the new over priced "Special Editions" Mustangs that seem to come out every day.

Good Luck
Old 6/14/07, 09:07 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by NDHESQ
If you don't mind the drive down to the Jersey Shore call Rick at Down's Ford MotoSports Dept in Toms River. Tell him I gave you his name and request Bob does all the work on your car.

Be warned the "power" bug is infectious you WILL NOT be satisfied with just a CAI and a tune. Go all the way and get "Whipplized" with the Ford Super Pack.

I put mine on almost a year ago after going the CAI route first and have never regreted the decision. I think my car will keep up with all the new over priced "Special Editions" Mustangs that seem to come out every day.

Good Luck
Do you have a stock suspension on the super pack? I was thinking of getting it but don't want a stiff suspension, at least not like the one of ford racing handling pack's. What kinda mileage do you get? Thanks for any help.

Ok I read your sig so don't reply to the dumb question, but i'm still curious about keeping the suspension stock. Thanks
Old 6/14/07, 09:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I am very happy with the FRPP suspension, others have preferred putting their own set ups together with pieces from various companies. I would strongly recommend against supercharging and keeping the stock suspension. I know Ford Motor Sports warns against doing so.

I can tell you my car is my daily driver, it handles like it is on rails now, but the ride is harder than stock. Its personal choice I guess, for me it was well worth the handling gains.
Old 6/14/07, 10:09 AM
Cobra Member

definately should not take 4-5 hours for intake and mufflers, especially for a mechanic.
Old 6/14/07, 11:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
With a lift! No more then 15 minutes for mufflers!
Old 6/14/07, 11:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by NDHESQ
I am very happy with the FRPP suspension, others have preferred putting their own set ups together with pieces from various companies. I would strongly recommend against supercharging and keeping the stock suspension. I know Ford Motor Sports warns against doing so.
Hmmmm... interesting... why is that? Is it because of wheel hop?
Old 6/14/07, 12:06 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's a warranty?

Quick Reply: FRPP Power Upgrade Pkg Dealer Installation Cost