GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP Hot Rod cams

Search this Thread

Old 12/18/08, 05:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FRPP Hot Rod cams

Anyone added these cams, i am wondering about using these just for the sound of the cam and the 30hp they claim, i really do not want a massive cam till i go SC
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=10309

2005-2009 Mustang GT High Lift Hot Rod cam set
Part # M-6550-3V*
Old 12/18/08, 11:40 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Quite a few have added these, have you tried a search?
Old 12/19/08, 03:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Okl after going through this whole forum i guess the FRPP Hot Rod cams will do their job. I am not looking for much since all i want is the sound, i know these cams will not give me any power at all seing as how they were only made to give a 3v the old push rod engine sound. I think i will buy a set of these for now to get a good sound out of my set up. But i will buy some Comp Stage 3 cams when i get my SC installed sometime at the end of 2010 lol.
Old 12/20/08, 01:24 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Sounds good, post a vid when you get them in...
Old 12/20/08, 03:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
Okl after going through this whole forum i guess the FRPP Hot Rod cams will do their job. I am not looking for much since all i want is the sound, i know these cams will not give me any power at all seing as how they were only made to give a 3v the old push rod engine sound. I think i will buy a set of these for now to get a good sound out of my set up. But i will buy some Comp Stage 3 cams when i get my SC installed sometime at the end of 2010 lol.
I like these cams, they seem to add power and a nice lope.

http://www.evoperform.com/videos/3vcam.wmv.
Old 12/20/08, 06:15 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by TTS197

That idle sounds amazing!!!
Old 12/21/08, 11:05 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
That idle sounds amazing!!!
Now Imagine the Pypes MM instead of those horrid Flows... Perfection?
Old 12/21/08, 01:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SlamMan02
just asking as a flowmaster user why are they so horrid
Old 12/21/08, 06:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by polodinks

i went through 5 sets of flows on my car with all sorts of problems from the tips falling off, bad welds on the muffler, and the PITA broken baffles. All my sets have had so much rattle when i stepped on the gas, it made me want to push the car down the street. To me its just not a good sound for this car. This is just my personal opinion, and to all who are having great luck with yours and love the sound i am happy for you. In the end its all in what makes you happy and the flows dont. On the other hand my steed mufflers also known as a more aggressive borla stinger has the sweetest tone in my opinion and i would give buying those mufflers over and over again till im blue in the face. The steeda ones work the best with long tube and a Hpipe even though that are a straight through design.
Old 12/21/08, 08:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Were they the American Thunder mufflers made for the Mustang or the 40's adapted for the Mustang? Also, why spend the money for a different cam for no gain in performance, just sound. Is that true that the cam only improves the sound of the engine at idle and no performance gains? I see in the catalog is claims 30 hp with long tube headers and CAI. However, let's say I put this cam in with just the CAI and a tune, no improvement at all?
Old 12/21/08, 09:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by polodinks
John pretty much nailed it on the head.

I have never like the way Flowmaster, and most chambered mufflers in general, sound like a Metallic, Tin, machine gun at higher RPMs. And this dislike is only perpetuated by the fact that 'everyone and their mother' runs Flows and many even make comments like, "You runnin Flows?", as if to dub ALL EXHAUST modifications as the universal Flowmaster. Furthermore, I think these 3V Stangs are very fussy about exhaust in general and few options seem to produce what I feel is a clean, loud, smooth, roaring rumble. So when it kinda rubs me the wrong way when ALL I hear on the road is Flowmasters with an Off road mid pipe.

With that said, a buddy of mine used to run an Off Road H with Flowmasters and it sounded great at Idle, but since then I have convienced him to ditch the Flows in favor of the Pypes Midmuffler sys. with resonators and it sounds amazing!! But hey, everyone has their own opinion and if you like your combo who am I to tell you other wise?
Old 12/21/08, 09:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
Were they the American Thunder mufflers made for the Mustang or the 40's adapted for the Mustang? Also, why spend the money for a different cam for no gain in performance, just sound. Is that true that the cam only improves the sound of the engine at idle and no performance gains? I see in the catalog is claims 30 hp with long tube headers and CAI. However, let's say I put this cam in with just the CAI and a tune, no improvement at all?
The Flowmasters in the video posted above are the new "Classic" series, not American thunder or 40 series.

The Thumper cams in the video are new from Comp. and are supposed to give a good mix between power and sound. With that said, I truely believe its hard to get the 'best of both worlds' on these Modular Motors (The 3valve in particular) Yes, you will see gains with these cams with just a CAI/Tune but you will see better gains with more mods.
Old 12/21/08, 09:34 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by SlamMan02
Perfection indeed!
Old 12/21/08, 10:30 PM
Cobra Member

I think there are cams out there that improve performance, just not these
Old 12/22/08, 09:27 AM
V6 Member

Some should sell remanuafactred modified performance heads with these cams pre-installed. Easy bolt on!
Old 12/22/08, 04:07 PM
Cobra Member

if you guys ever get around to trying the steeda mufflers i highly recommend. best if used with h pipe and long tubes and it sure does give a deepeest tone to the exhaust that i have ever encountered on this car, i have found my "perfect" exhaust setup and im happy for others who have found theirs.
Old 12/22/08, 04:09 PM
Cobra Member

the only flows i would recommend would be the super 44 series for the sn95, other than that they really need to think about there products a little better for the S197 model. Maybe some straight through designs from them
Old 12/25/08, 05:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

To get back on topic, no offence guys because i do need to change out my Coffins already so i was thinking FRPP or some other brand, But to answer your question GT, yes these cams were only designed for sound and some mild performance. They are meant to be installed in the FRPP 3v crate engine. The purpose of these cams was to give the sound of an old push rod engine to the new 3v. And yes a Thumper Cam from Comp Cams would be a better choice but for someone that just wants sound and does not want to go with more and more HP.
Old 12/26/08, 09:17 PM
GT Member

these cams are on sale at cj pony parts for 740.95 until the 31 st.
Old 12/26/08, 10:47 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Originally Posted by TTS197

I'm still partial to these Crane cams with the magnaflows behind them

At around the 2 minute mark they come down off the cold idle, then I've got some from inside. No idea why I'm partial though

Last edited by EagleStroker; 12/26/08 at 10:49 PM.

Quick Reply: FRPP Hot Rod cams