GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP handling kit best bang for the buck

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/07, 01:20 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FRPP handling kit best bang for the buck

Downs Ford in NJ fitted an FRPP handling pack to my GT on Friday, and it has transformed the car. No more wobbly back axle, dive under bracking and wheel hop. Instead it has turned into a nice back road carver, without making the ride any firmer.

My Car also has 20inch foose nitrous fitted and the kit went on without a problem, no rubbing and good alignment. I would highly recommend Brian and the guys at Downs for the great job, excellent customer service and the kit for transforming the handling of my baby
Old 3/27/07, 01:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am going with the Saleen suspension and the Saleen Parneli Jones watts linkage.
Old 3/27/07, 01:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Cati

I live in Toms River. Rick at Downs Ford hooked me up with the FRPP Handling Pack and then in November with the First FRPP/Whipple intercooled Super Charger. They are the #1 Ford Motorsports dealer in the country.

He's great to deal with and bends over backwards to help his customers. He also is a registered bdealer for many other outside performance part manufacturers. Go back for the supercharger you will not be dissappointed!!!!
Old 3/27/07, 01:45 PM
Cobra R Member

i have a feeling this is the setup i am going to go with when its time for suspension on my 07. cant wait
Old 3/27/07, 02:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Let me know when you want to take atest drive!!!
Old 3/27/07, 02:05 PM
Cobra R Member

today would have ben perfect.. lol, however i am not sure maybe in a couple weeks on a saturday or something.
Old 3/27/07, 02:40 PM
Cobra Member

So ride quality hasn't been diminished? I thought I've heard (and read) they can be pretty darn firm. Maybe they've softened the tuning?
Old 3/27/07, 02:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Nope the ride is MUCH harder but the car handles 100 x better. I couldn't believe the difference.
Old 3/28/07, 12:00 AM
Cobra R Member

If you end up going this route, make sure you try johnbleakleyford, they have the best deals I have found on the ford racing stuff good luck, they have saved me a bunch.
Old 3/28/07, 12:17 AM
Cobra R Member

Thats the setup I want to go with, it seems to be the best as far as ride quality from what I hear
Old 3/28/07, 10:52 AM
V6 Member

Is the handling firmer? Well, it depends what you are comparing against

If it is the stock wheels with huge side walls, yes it is!. If you are comparing to either 19 or 20 inch wheels with low profiles not that much more.

If you want much softer ride than this kit, you will be really hard pushed to find the level same handling.

I am english and moved over to the US three years ago, my previous cars have all been sporty and I used to drive hard on roads and speeds in cars like BMW 330sport, M3 and scoobies that would see me in sing sing rather than a few points, and the handling now is nearly as good as these cars and well worth the small ride compromise

The ride over the crap westchester, NY roads is much improved . When you it a bad peice of tarmac rather than the car wallowing around and waiting for the suspension to decide what to it, it just handles it and moves on to the next thing.

Another big difference is wheel hop, this is much noticably reduced and it seems like a well sorted complete package. In my view that's 99% of the battle, if you buy strut from company a , spring from b and the damping and spring rates aren't matched you are not going to get much more out of it and for all of the hassle I really have to question the worth of mixing and matching when it can go all so badly wrong and this kit is so really good.

In closing I had similar concerns, the kits is great and for me my suspension is sorted and now onto brakes and supercharging......
Old 3/28/07, 03:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

What is included with this kit? Which springs does it come with? I have a set of Roush springs, I wonder if they're the same ones.
Old 3/28/07, 03:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Check out FordRacingParts.com the kit is all inclusive. The springs are not Rousch I believe they are Eiebach but I am not certain
Old 3/28/07, 03:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ahh... so you get sway bars and a strut brace with it. I wonder if the sway bars play much of a role or if most of the improvement lies with the springs and shocks.
Old 3/28/07, 05:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by NDHESQ
Check out FordRacingParts.com the kit is all inclusive. The springs are not Rousch I believe they are Eiebach but I am not certain
The FRPP Springs are Eibacks.I ran 20's on my 06GT with the FRPP handling pack and the ride was firm,plenty of feedback and as stated...cutting curves without lateral roll out,,woooboy,fun stuff.I can't wait to slam my 07'GT.
Attached Thumbnails FRPP handling kit best bang for the buck-hpim0196a.jpg  
Old 3/28/07, 07:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cati
scoobies that would see me in sing sing rather than a few points . . .
what the he!! does that mean???

I love English expressions!
Old 3/28/07, 09:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GrabberOgre
The FRPP Springs are Eibacks.I ran 20's on my 06GT with the FRPP handling pack and the ride was firm,plenty of feedback and as stated...cutting curves without lateral roll out,,woooboy,fun stuff.I can't wait to slam my 07'GT.
Which Eibach are they? Since most 05+ springs are progressive rate, how do you compare them?

What wheels are on that legend lime?!? If they're Shelby Redlines, do you have more pics?

Sorry about the threadjack... carry on...
Old 3/28/07, 11:06 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm about 90% sure they are the eibach pro's
Old 3/28/07, 11:51 PM
Bullitt Member

OK I dont want seem out of line but read CrazyAls post over here. Its very informative and discusses each suspension part in great detail.

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_16962...tm.htm#1696246
Old 3/29/07, 07:04 AM
V6 Member

Hi your are not out off line..

Crazy Al's point are very interesting, I am not sure I agree with them all, especially the front sway bar ( changing dynamic balance point and dive on the front end of a car as porky as a GT is a big deal and this sway bar has a lot to do with that ) and again you are in the process of mixing and matching.

Don't get me wrong I am a suspension nut. I have raced bikes ( Superbike and Motocross ) for a number of years, Include competing at the Isle of Man TT races and if you can't sort your suspension out you are going to be in a world of hurt very quickly.

I just think the Ford Kit is a very nice one stop shop and would recommed it for 98% of fast road driving. If I was to take the car on the track and compete it would be very different, big weight reduction programme and many dollars. If you want to go down the lower my car, bit better handling route, it one I would recommend the ford kit for comfort, drivability, warranty etc

Regarding english expressions roughly translated this means " I have driven very rapidly in Subaru WRXs etc and if caught by the Local or State Police I would have been serving a few weeks at her majesties pleasure rather than having my driving license decorated with a few speeding points"

Anyway...in closing this kit is the dog's nuts.....the ducks guts ( this means it's really good ) toodle pip old chaps must go and have my tea and scones as it's time for tiffin

Quick Reply: FRPP handling kit best bang for the buck