GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP Gears..Any Troubles?

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/05, 11:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
:bang: Has anyone had any trouble with Ford Motorsports gears. I have installed 3.73's in my Auto...so far,it has been set up 3 times. Ford has checked backlash and pinion settings and it is perfect! My installer cannot believe how bad these gears sound. Not only do i have a whine...there is some sort of clunking,pulsing,sound as you coast down to a stop or if you are crawling along. Everything has been checked and rechecked...and checked again. I have made calls to Drivetrain Specialties,Ford,and will be calling Randys Ring and Pinion in Seatle. Only thing we can figure is that there is something wrong with gearset? Can anyone shed some light on this...we are stumped!!!
Old 7/12/05, 05:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Fidele, it may not be the gear set. I followed up your last post about this problem with a similar story. My newly installed Precision Gear 4.10's - also installed by a very reputable shop - are to loud for me to put up with for much longer. And I only have 100 miles or so on them. I'm getting "The Howl" between 45 and 65 mph and some grumbling/binding on deceleration, most noticeable @ about 50 mph.

My installer had predicted "some" noise after determining that my carrier wasn't all it could be. I need to get with him again for an explanation as to exactly what he means. My 3.55's weren't the picture of silence, but they didn't sound like a hovercraft either. Obviously going to a steeper gear will accentuate any noise, but it shouldn't be this bad.

I love this car with the 4.10's. It's a totally different beast. I don't want to go back.

Too many of us have this "Noisy gears installed by a reputable shop" story. I'm inclined to believe my installer about the bum carrier. Question is, what to do now?
Old 7/12/05, 05:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Man its a shame to hear that...I was really interested in gears especially after someone here on TMS said it was "Gods gift to the '05 Mustang" I was sold. I really hope we can get down to what exactly the culprit is for this problem. :notnice:
Old 7/12/05, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by Blk'05@July 12, 2005, 6:59 AM
Man its a shame to hear that...I was really interested in gears especially after someone here on TMS said it was "Gods gift to the '05 Mustang" I was sold. I really hope we can get down to what exactly the culprit is for this problem. :notnice:
I have Ford Racing 4:10's installed and they howl like a MF. They are LOUD at steady cruise at any speed and quiet at either accl or deceleration. Get the 4"10s for sure, just don't get the FFRP's. Doc
Old 7/12/05, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by sybidoc@July 12, 2005, 6:52 AM
I have Ford Racing 4:10's installed and they howl like a MF. They are LOUD at steady cruise at any speed and quiet at either accl or deceleration. Get the 4"10s for sure, just don't get the FFRP's. Doc
How strange... I had FRPP 4.10s installed last week. I have absolutely zero noticeable noise from them. I have almost 500 miles on them so far (at all speeds up to 130mph), including 20+ runs on an 1/8-mile track. I love them!!!
Old 7/12/05, 01:14 PM

I did have one set of 4.10's with a casting flaw, but it seems that different people are having some sound with different brands. It's a crap shoot with the installer. Reputable or not.
Old 7/12/05, 04:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

What are the alternatives? Other reputable brands besides FRPP?
Old 7/12/05, 04:48 PM

Motive gears are one alternative to FRPP.
Old 7/12/05, 07:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Has anyone tried the motive gears? Same problem occurring?
Old 7/12/05, 08:56 PM
GT Member

I have motive gears and they aren't much better than the FRPP gears. I have had 2 different brands of gears (FRPP and Moitve) installed 3 different times by different shops and the car still whines. I am convinced that there is a flaw in the stock carrier.
Old 7/12/05, 09:00 PM
GT Member

yea it sounds like a flaw....gears should not whine at all...that is really bad. You will end up chewing up the spider gears if it is even slightly off
Old 7/12/05, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by Blk05GT@July 12, 2005, 7:59 PM
I have motive gears and they aren't much better than the FRPP gears. I have had 2 different brands of gears (FRPP and Moitve) installed 3 different times by different shops and the car still whines. I am convinced that there is a flaw in the stock carrier.
I would tend to agree with you. Especially since my FRPP's worked perfect on the first try. I hope you get it resolved.

Oh, did the stock gears whine at all before you swapped them out?
Old 7/12/05, 09:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Clem@July 12, 2005, 7:39 AM
My installer is going to measure carrier and housing to see what is up next week. He has ordered another gear set anyways(wirth different lot #'s) We are grasping here...but we will see. I always had "whine" ,"howl" since new...but this other noise sounds like the rearend is coming apart. Only hear it at low speed,costing down to stop,or crawling along..at like idle and up. Really stinks! Hope to get some answers by next week! Thanks for the reply!
Hey Fidele, it may not be the gear set. I followed up your last post about this problem with a similar story. My newly installed Precision Gear 4.10's - also installed by a very reputable shop - are to loud for me to put up with for much longer. And I only have 100 miles or so on them. I'm getting "The Howl" between 45 and 65 mph and some grumbling/binding on deceleration, most noticeable @ about 50 mph.

My installer had predicted "some" noise after determining that my carrier wasn't all it could be. I need to get with him again for an explanation as to exactly what he means. My 3.55's weren't the picture of silence, but they didn't sound like a hovercraft either. Obviously going to a steeper gear will accentuate any noise, but it shouldn't be this bad.

I love this car with the 4.10's. It's a totally different beast. I don't want to go back.

Too many of us have this "Noisy gears installed by a reputable shop" story. I'm inclined to believe my installer about the bum carrier. Question is, what to do now?
Old 7/12/05, 09:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by don_w@July 12, 2005, 3:02 PM
How strange... I had FRPP 4.10s installed last week. I have absolutely zero noticeable noise from them. I have almost 500 miles on them so far (at all speeds up to 130mph), including 20+ runs on an 1/8-mile track. I love them!!!
Can you find out what the backlash settings were and any other measurements! Thanks!
Old 7/12/05, 09:33 PM

Question...let's say the backlash is set at .010. The pinion can be set at a certain depth and the carrier can be moved side to side with shims (as I understand it sets the backlash). For simple numbers for this exercise lets say the pinion is set at a depth of 1 inch and the carrier has a 1 inch shim on right side and a 2 inch shim on the left side. So...can you set the pinion at a 2 inch depth (closer to driveshaft) and have a 2 inch shim on the left side and a 1 inch shim on the right and still get the same backlash? I guess what I'm asking is...Does it matter where the pinion is set at. Do you tighten it as much as you can (crushing the collar) and just go from there to set the backlash? If some people are having an issue with whine and some are not, is there maybe a sweetspot for the pinion to be set at?
Old 7/12/05, 09:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Blk05GT@July 12, 2005, 10:59 PM
This is what my installer is going to find out. He has made many calls and is going to measure up everything next week to see if it is all trued up...or is there a machining flaw.
Old 7/12/05, 09:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by don_w@July 12, 2005, 11:22 PM
I would tend to agree with you. Especially since my FRPP's worked perfect on the first try. I hope you get it resolved.

Oh, did the stock gears whine at all before you swapped them out?
Yes my stock gears did whine since new...but i now have clunking,pulsation just before i stop...or when going really slow. WE put car up on lift with it idleing in gear and you can hear noise...and actually feel housing and axle tubes thump on rotation!
Old 7/12/05, 09:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 169stang@July 12, 2005, 11:36 PM
Question...let's say the backlash is set at .010. The pinion can be set at a certain depth and the carrier can be moved side to side with shims (as I understand it sets the backlash). For simple numbers for this exercise lets say the pinion is set at a depth of 1 inch and the carrier has a 1 inch shim on right side and a 2 inch shim on the left side. So...can you set the pinion at a 2 inch depth (closer to driveshaft) and have a 2 inch shim on the left side and a 1 inch shim on the right and still get the same backlash? I guess what I'm asking is...Does it matter where the pinion is set at. Do you tighten it as much as you can (crushing the collar) and just go from there to set the backlash? If some people are having an issue with whine and some are not, is there maybe a sweetspot for the pinion to be set at?
My installer set both depth and backlash. My original backlash was 13-14thousanths...he set it at 7thousanths. It had zero noise on accel...but more whine on deaccel. He then redid it with10thousanths...now have whine both ways...so i would say that it does matter where you set both. Ford says just throw in pinion...and just set ring gear spacing and baclklash and be done with it...but hat was really sloppy. Rearend sounded like it had 100000miles on it.
Old 7/12/05, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by Fman67@July 12, 2005, 8:36 PM
Can you find out what the backlash settings were and any other measurements! Thanks!
I'll try to find out.
Old 7/13/05, 05:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Fella, our troubles don't appear brand related, so that leaves installation or material defect as the culprit. My 4.10 whiners are made by Precision Gear, a brand that no one else seems to be running. I'll quiz my installer to get the before and after backlash settings.

If some of us did get POS carriers, what can be done? Other than an obvious hgh $ replacement, that is. It's going to be tough to go back to 3.55's after experiencing the 4.10's. As many have said, and IMO, they are the perfect gear for our manual tranny cars.

My bad Fidele, didn't mean to leave you out. I'm sure those 3.73's really woke up that automatic!

Quick Reply: FRPP Gears..Any Troubles?