GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP/Borla stingers HOW LOUD?

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/06, 08:31 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

I'd like to hear from people who have stock manifolds/cats-mid pipe and is running a set of the FRPP Borlas (4" tip stinger model...I think it is GT or GTQ model number, the 49 state legal one). I'd like a set of mufflers that sound deeper and a bit louder than the stock GT mufflers...but I don't want them to be crazy loud. I don't want to wake the neighborhood when I go to work at 5am [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nono.gif[/img] . I listened to sound clips, and I like the FRPP/Borla sound, but clips don't tell you how loud the car will be (pooty microphone and computer speakers). Anyone care to comment on the sound levels of this setup?

Tilt
Old 2/8/06, 09:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tilt @ February 8, 2006, 9:34 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hi all,

I'd like to hear from people who have stock manifolds/cats-mid pipe and is running a set of the FRPP Borlas (4" tip stinger model...I think it is GT or GTQ model number, the 49 state legal one). I'd like a set of mufflers that sound deeper and a bit louder than the stock GT mufflers...but I don't want them to be crazy loud. I don't want to wake the neighborhood when I go to work at 5am [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nono.gif[/img] . I listened to sound clips, and I like the FRPP/Borla sound, but clips don't tell you how loud the car will be (pooty microphone and computer speakers). Anyone care to comment on the sound levels of this setup?

Tilt
[/b][/quote]
I don't like loud exhausts. I have the FRPP/Borlas and I don't think it's obnoxious at all. The drone is bad though.
Old 2/8/06, 10:27 AM
Bullitt Member

care to explain your quote "the drone is bad", I am thinking about getting these as well and would like to know how BAD the drone is and in what RPMs it starts and ends.
Old 2/8/06, 10:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have 4.10 rear gears and my drone starts at around 1500 and ends around 2000. It is especially noticeable in 5th gear under heavy acceleration. Sounds like my head is inside a subwoofer. EXTREMELY ricey sounding...like "fake" bass (tons of it). My only consolation is that it only sounds like that from inside the car (drone only happens inside the car). It sounds great on the outside at all RPMs, I think.
Old 2/8/06, 11:30 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dcranford @ February 8, 2006, 11:30 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
care to explain your quote "the drone is bad", I am thinking about getting these as well and would like to know how BAD the drone is and in what RPMs it starts and ends.
[/b][/quote]

You can always down shift if the drone's too much.
Old 2/8/06, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

http://andyman82.com/files/startup.mpg
Old 2/8/06, 12:34 PM
V6 Member

Thanks a lot atomic iI. That clip was exactly what I was looking for. The door closing and footsteps provide a level to compare the exhaust sound to. Thanks a ton. I think this is the setup I'm going to get. Is that your car in the video? Those are the Borla's that are the same as the FRPP GT?

Tilt
Old 2/8/06, 12:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Tilt - here's a little video I did last year. It has clips of the stock setup and the FRPP/Borla ones for comparison.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=35113
Old 2/8/06, 01:30 PM
V6 Member

Thanks racerx. Another excellent clip for my decision making.

Tilt
Old 2/8/06, 02:37 PM
GT Member

i dont think its loud at all .... although if you add long tubes and a o/r x pipe it will def get louder
Old 2/8/06, 04:11 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tilt @ February 8, 2006, 2:37 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks a lot atomic iI. That clip was exactly what I was looking for. The door closing and footsteps provide a level to compare the exhaust sound to. Thanks a ton. I think this is the setup I'm going to get. Is that your car in the video? Those are the Borla's that are the same as the FRPP GT?

Tilt
[/b][/quote]

Those are the Borla catback's and yes they are the same as the FRPP, just a different stamp. Yeah that's my car.. i had just finished with a loooong paint detailing all through the night.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZGarske01 @ February 8, 2006, 4:40 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
i dont think its loud at all .... although if you add long tubes and a o/r x pipe it will def get louder
[/b][/quote]

It's semi loud... and loud when I want it to be. I am about a week away from ordering the hooker super comp coated long tube headers and will be running that with the stock h-pipe and no cats. I can't flippin wait to tear up this city
Old 2/8/06, 04:50 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the Borla cat backs and they are quite a bit louder than stock. This past Sunday, Import-Slaya and I got together to compare mods. He is still running the stock system. Driven back to back, my car is much louder than his. I had never heard mine go down the road so I had Mike drive it around the parking lot one time. It sounds awesome and with the 4.10's my neighbors know my every move. My stealth days are over!

The drone the clockworks mentioned comes in for me about 1700 and go away at 2000 rpms. I agree it's at it's worst in 5th gear when trying to accelerate through that rpm range. Yes, you can drop it down a gear and avoid it, but I don't always feel like doing that. Some days I hate it, some days it's no big deal. If it were my daily driver, I may not have done the Borlas. There is no performance gain, so it's strickly for entertainment purposes. But since I only drive it for that reason, the sound is perfect! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/8/06, 06:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Clem @ February 8, 2006, 6:53 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I have the Borla cat backs and they are quite a bit louder than stock. This past Sunday, Import-Slaya and I got together to compare mods. He is still running the stock system. Driven back to back, my car is much louder than his. I had never heard mine go down the road so I had Mike drive it around the parking lot one time. It sounds awesome and with the 4.10's my neighbors know my every move. My stealth days are over!

The drone the clockworks mentioned comes in for me about 1700 and go away at 2000 rpms. I agree it's at it's worst in 5th gear when trying to accelerate through that rpm range. Yes, you can drop it down a gear and avoid it, but I don't always feel like doing that. Some days I hate it, some days it's no big deal. If it were my daily driver, I may not have done the Borlas. There is no performance gain, so it's strickly for entertainment purposes. But since I only drive it for that reason, the sound is perfect! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Before I heard the Borlas in person, I was very happy with the stock exhaust. What's not to like--nice growl, louder than most other cars stock exhausts, best stock Mustang exhaust produced.

Then I heard the Borlas. Oh man do they sound good. They are definitely more of presence inside of the car than stock. From the outside they actually aren't obnoxiously loud, but are clearly louder than stock. Basically, mothers will grab their children when you roar by! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

The drone. As Adam mentioned, this can be pretty rough from the 1700 to 2000 rpm range. This is very dependent upon how you drive the car, though. If you are commuting on the highway and will be sitting in 5th gear, this may not be the system for you. If you don't mind keeping the revs out of the drone zone, then it may not be a problem. I rarely let the revs drop below 2,500 when I drive and plan on installing gears this Spring, so I am now considering these. Yes, they sound that good.

Oh man, my wife and neighbors might form a Frankenstein pitchfork mob, though... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img]
Old 2/8/06, 07:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Here are a bunch of videos of the Borla/FRPP's inside the car.
Enjoy.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/gkaufman/
Old 2/8/06, 07:31 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(atomic_il @ February 8, 2006, 11:08 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
http://andyman82.com/files/startup.mpg
[/b][/quote]

does that thing rev? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/8/06, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZGarske01 @ February 8, 2006, 1:40 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(atomic_il @ February 8, 2006, 3:14 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I am about a week away from ordering the hooker super comp coated long tube headers and will be running that with the stock h-pipe and no cats. I can't flippin wait to tear up this city
[/b][/quote]

I predict trumpets in your future. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
Old 2/8/06, 08:07 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2005sonicgt @ February 8, 2006, 9:34 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
does that thing rev? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

http://andyman82.com/files/rev.mpg ... not the best video

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ February 8, 2006, 10:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I predict trumpets in your future. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

nah i don't.. but we'll see. I will post clips of all types [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/8/06, 10:42 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(atomic_il @ February 8, 2006, 9:10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
http://andyman82.com/files/rev.mpg ... not the best video
nah i don't.. but we'll see. I will post clips of all types [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

i had jba long tubes and offroad h pipe and had that " trumpet" sound. just giving you a heads up
Old 2/9/06, 04:43 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for all the clips guys. Gkaufman....I couldn't get the sound to play on your clips, just video pictures. Something about the AVI encoding. I'm on a mac/unix machine. I'll try to convert the files and get them to play.

Tilt
Old 2/9/06, 06:37 AM

they are quite a bit louder than stock... very deep.. with lots of burble....

sometimes in the morning when i start it up i wonder if its too load and tell myself that i probalby shouldn't do any more to the exhaust... however, that feeling stops after i get about half a block away from my house... ; )

drone has been covered so i wont go into it, but yeah they have alot of drone at certain rpm ranges... doesn't really bother me though...

very mean sounding when you get on it... i love em... : )

Quick Reply: FRPP/Borla stingers HOW LOUD?