GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Front-end clunking ('07 thread)

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/06, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Front-end clunking ('07 thread)

Please let me know if there's already thread for MY '07 front-end clunking...

I have GT/CS with 1,500 miles on the clock and the front-end's been clunking little from day 1. After reading threads on MY '05-'06 clunks, I'm getting the feeling if these TSBs have ever applied to MY '07. IS Ford just saving money using same defect parts, cause many Mustang owners think these clunks are "normal"... I've been driving BMWs before Mustang, and when BMW clunks, something is broken/weared out and it needs to be fixed. I assume it's the same thing with Fords... Iäm getting paranoid day by day for this clunking... I hear it when I sleep too

Anyway, let me know if you're experiencing same problems and if you're hearing things (clunking, not voices ).

My problem is that I bought the car from Overseas Military Sales, picked it up from Colorado dealer (which is not actually my dealer) and I'm not going to take my car over to them (I have my reasons). So, how does Ford Warranty work? Can I drive it to any Ford dealer and say that they need to check if something's loose or wth is going under there?

I appreciate your help .

Meeks
Old 11/2/06, 10:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Any dealer will look at it and cover it. And I don't use the dealer where I bought my car, especially for suspension related stuff [I drive 45 miles to another dealer where I know the Service Manager]...

Mike E
Old 11/2/06, 10:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Is your 07 completely stock? any particular time you hear that clunking?

I didn't hear any clunking in my 06 until I put some springs and shocks on it... I get it on bumpy roads or over speed bumps...

everything is torqued to spec and installed properly... and having drivin a lowered car before, some noise is expected..

I'm waiting to ride with someone else with almost the same setup to see if my noises are normal or a little off....

in the end.. the only solution is to turn the radio up or buy a louder exhaust.
Old 11/2/06, 10:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06GTwBOOST
Is your 07 completely stock? any particular time you hear that clunking?

I didn't hear any clunking in my 06 until I put some springs and shocks on it... I get it on bumpy roads or over speed bumps...

everything is torqued to spec and installed properly... and having drivin a lowered car before, some noise is expected..

I'm waiting to ride with someone else with almost the same setup to see if my noises are normal or a little off....

in the end.. the only solution is to turn the radio up or buy a louder exhaust.
It's completely stock yet. I hear it constantly in low speeds going over anything...
Old 11/2/06, 11:24 AM
FR500 Member

Take it to the nearest dealer and have them look at it. It doesn't matter where you got the car from.
Old 11/2/06, 11:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

hmmm

I'd take it to the dealer and have them look at it...

report back...

if you lived close i'd ride along and listen and give you a second opinion..

Do you know anyone wiht one that you can ride along and see if theirs does it?

or you can go "test drive" another 07 and see if it does the same thing?

if you goto the dealer and they find a problem, report back as to what they say... i'd be interested.
Old 11/2/06, 01:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I thought the same thing about my 05 and took it in for a checkup; dealer service rep said everything was OK...
Old 11/2/06, 02:03 PM
Bullitt Member

I've had my GT/CS since late June; have had no problems at all. Does your car have the engine block heater installed from the factory? If so, check to see that the cord is secured properly.
Old 11/2/06, 02:40 PM
GT Member

I had the same clunking noise. I swore it was from the front. Check your rear sway bar. they are known to get loose and cause this symptom.
Old 11/2/06, 02:50 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't have engine block heater... I'll need to pop my hood up though again to check that there's nothing loose... it sounds to be very suspension related though... I'll jack up my car tomorrow to check rear sway and the whole thing tomorrow... anyone know DIY place w/ car lift near Boulder?
Old 11/2/06, 08:20 PM
Bullitt Member

10 Bucks it is your front upper shock towers. They have a graphite/carbon style seal or bearing. I forget what the call it. Anyway it is on the upper part of the shock tower. Where the strut come through the body. Take a look at them. You will see the bearing falling apart. Let me know if this helps.

Kevin
Old 11/2/06, 08:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Cobrakev
10 Bucks it is your front upper shock towers. They have a graphite/carbon style seal or bearing. I forget what the call it. Anyway it is on the upper part of the shock tower. Where the strut come through the body. Take a look at them. You will see the bearing falling apart. Let me know if this helps.

Kevin
Kevin - is that the original problem Ford had with the '05's that caused the low speed "clunking" when turning? I had that problem with my '05 and it was VERY annoying.....my '07 GT/CS doesn't have that issue (1K miles so far).
Old 11/3/06, 06:06 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Cobrakev

Kevin

I agree, Have them look at your Strut Mount Bearings.
Old 11/3/06, 07:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I think so, just took them a few years huh.
Old 11/3/06, 08:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Anyone knows the exact name for this graphite/carbon part? I'll take a look at it 2morrow. I can see it under hood or under fenderwell?
Old 11/4/06, 07:02 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mvon919
Anyone knows the exact name for this graphite/carbon part? I'll take a look at it 2morrow. I can see it under hood or under fenderwell?

I believe it is called Strut Mount Bearing
Old 11/4/06, 09:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Thunder
I believe it is called Strut Mount Bearing
I bet it is!
Old 11/4/06, 02:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Checked every bolt and nut in suspension today. With limited tools that I have, I found nothing to be loose. Anyway, I'll drop it to some Dealer next week to get it checked w/ proper tools. To be frank, I think these sounds are "normal" and I can't compare smoothess with german made cars.

What's the the best suspension package for S197 that replaces every part, including Upper Strut Bearings. Would be nice to have Camber/Caster adjusting in Strut Plates too.

anyway, I installed Honda S2000 "Engine Start" button and it works and looks nice.

Miikka
Old 11/4/06, 08:22 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had my 07 since August- ZERO problems!
Old 11/4/06, 09:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
I've had my 07 since August- ZERO problems!
You probably don't consider some noises as problems as I do. I'm used
to loud cars, but not anything that comes somewhere other than engine and wind. Cause of that, I'd say I have a problem in my head. I just need to leave them be, cause they seem to be "normal".

Honestly, I need to take it to the dealer (maybe BMW dealer knows how to make it quiet?)

Quick Reply: Front-end clunking ('07 thread)