GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Fried My Trans.

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/07, 05:45 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fried My Trans.

My trans. started slipping, I looked underneath the car and seen some trans. fluid on the trans. case. I took it to the dealer and they called today and said the trans. over heated and blow trans. fluid out the vent pipe. They also said the trans is fried. Anyone else had this problem ? Do to my mod's do you think a TCI tq. converter would be a good investment in prolonging my trans. life ? They are probably going to cover it under warranty, however if it happens again I will be paying for sure. I only have about 1500 miles on the trans. since the s/c install and have only been down the track 4 times, I don't beat on the car. Any suggestions appreciated !
Old 6/14/07, 06:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cfr865
My trans. started slipping, I looked underneath the car and seen some trans. fluid on the trans. case. I took it to the dealer and they called today and said the trans. over heated and blow trans. fluid out the vent pipe. They also said the trans is fried. Anyone else had this problem ? Do to my mod's do you think a TCI tq. converter would be a good investment in prolonging my trans. life ? They are probably going to cover it under warranty, however if it happens again I will be paying for sure. I only have about 1500 miles on the trans. since the s/c install and have only been down the track 4 times, I don't beat on the car. Any suggestions appreciated !

You say "do to your mods" We cannot see all of your mod's. If your thinking of a TCI TQ you must have an auto. You have no signature to speak of ...help us aout a little. Give us a little more info. Maybe you need to call Brenspeed and get Brent's opinion. 480rwhp is probably overkill on a stock auto. JMO!
Scott
Old 6/14/07, 06:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
A torque converter would be awesome for performance... but for longetivity I would look at a deep oil pan and see if anyone makes an add-on oil cooler. I would think a converter would make the tranny run hotter?? I don't know, but I can say atleast with the previous auto trans that a converter will WAKE THE CAR UP!
Old 6/14/07, 07:00 PM
GT Member

I'm running 455 rwhp on the street the 480 I have used once at the track. The reason I asked about the converter, many people on the forum say the converter is the weak spot with the auto. I don't understand why my trans. decided to run hot, maybe it was low on fluid to begin with or maybe there was another leak and the dealer just wants to blame the s/c. I know Brent for one has an a/t and beats on it much harder then I ever have and his and many others have not done this to my knowledge. I would like to hear from anyone who's had this problem.
Old 6/14/07, 07:28 PM
GT Member

My next question would be, do you think the deep dish oil pan that Brenspeed sells that holds an extra 4 qts. would be a better mod. then the converter for longivity purposes.
Old 6/14/07, 07:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
As I said above, I think the deepdish pan would help out with the lifespan.
Old 6/14/07, 08:11 PM
FR500 Member

Yup! Definately get the deep sump pan, it will also allow you to monitor your own levels. Having been through this myself (the leaking part) it wouldn't surprise me if you had a small leak that you didn't notice, and then whammo, before you know it, you have a funky acting tranny. I was lucky, a new flush and fill fixed it right up for me and I do it regurlarly at 15k miles now, I just don't trust it to hold up to my abuse without giving it some fresh fluid and topping it off every 15k.

Since you are blown with an auto. I'd consider neccasary mods to be an additional trans cooler, deep pan with dipstick AND as a bonus for more performance a good converter.
Old 6/14/07, 09:32 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the input guys, I guess I will be getting the deep dish from Brent.
Old 6/14/07, 09:54 PM
GT Member

Does increasing the line pressure, hard on the trans. or does it help, I have heard both.
Old 6/14/07, 11:33 PM
Bullitt Member

they will cover THAT on warranty?????????A MIRACLE!!!!You must be a lucky guy .........
Old 6/22/07, 07:42 PM
GT Member

Got my car back today it's running great. They replaced the 3rd. gear band that was burt up, a few other parts were also replaced incluing the tq. convertor. It was all covered under warranty, very lucky considering my mods. They did tell me it wouldn't be next time hopefully there won't be a next time. I did add the bigger trans. pan from brenspeed.
Old 6/22/07, 07:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

What dealer is this? Tried to PM you but you have it turned off.
Old 6/22/07, 08:24 PM
GT Member

The PM should work now.
Old 6/22/07, 09:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 07 HOSS Mustang
they will cover THAT on warranty?????????A MIRACLE!!!!You must be a lucky guy .........

Wow... I got beef about interior cabin noises and the "Ford Rep"(not my dealer tech) noticed the car sat lower then stock. This Ford rep does visits and it so happens to be the day I go in to pick up my car and he was uneasy about the lowering springs and how it "caused" dash rattle along the a-piller. You got a friendly dealer if u ask me.