GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Forged Parts /engine block?

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/06, 10:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see some people add forged internals to their engine block if they are throwing on a supercharger for added durability. But since our engine block is aluminum and most engines that have forged internals from the factory have cast iron blocks...do you guys think they actually block itself won't fair as well?
Old 3/3/06, 10:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm consulting my 'bible' - Sean Hylands's book on the 4.6 Liter Engine...now this is in regards to the previous generations aluminum block, but he states:

"...the later block certainly should be adequate for moderate power levels of up to 600 HP"."

So far, all of the damaged blocks, I've seen from supercharging came from the impact of the non-forged pistons and/or rods breaking up...but I'm no expert on the matter.
Old 3/3/06, 10:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racerx @ March 3, 2006, 12:48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'm consulting my 'bible' - Sean Hylands's book on the 4.6 Liter Engine...now this is in regards to the previous generations aluminum block, but he states:

"...the later block certainly should be adequate for moderate power levels of up to 600 HP"."

So far, all of the damaged blocks, I've seen from supercharging came from the impact of the non-forged pistons and/or rods breaking up...but I'm no expert on the matter.
[/b][/quote]

That's a little more comforting in that case. Maybe I'll drop a line to Sean and see if theycan elaborate. Then I can't see any1 buying a iron block unless they were thinking about turning they stang into a funy car...
Old 3/3/06, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
David (169stang) went with an iron block for his turbo set-up. I'm planning on a Teksid aluminum block for my rebuild. It's stronger than the 05/06 3V block, and if you can find one, it's cheaper. But, I think the stock 3V block is actually pretty good and can handle quite a bit... except maybe a high speed rod flying through it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
Old 3/3/06, 09:48 PM
Cobra Member

I don't think the block will be an issue. The Z06 has an aluminum block. She's looking about 460 RWHP.
Old 3/3/06, 11:19 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ March 3, 2006, 12:28 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
David (169stang) went with an iron block for his turbo set-up. I'm planning on a Teksid aluminum block for my rebuild. It's stronger than the 05/06 3V block, and if you can find one, it's cheaper. But, I think the stock 3V block is actually pretty good and can handle quite a bit... except maybe a high speed rod flying through it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Sean Hyland stakes that block is good for 1600HP!!!

How much do the Teksid blocks go for?

Don...would you be so kind as to keep us informed as to what modifications are required to make that block work with the 05? Thank you!
Old 3/4/06, 10:01 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ March 3, 2006, 3:28 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

Is the Teksid block a H.P. die casting or is it sand cast?

Look at the Ford GT block. It's a 5.4L aluminum block based on the 4.6L/5.4L architecture, but extra ribs and reinforcement have been added for 600+ horse supercharging.
Old 3/4/06, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MrDrezzUp @ March 3, 2006, 10:22 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Sean Hyland stakes that block is good for 1600HP!!!

How much do the Teksid blocks go for?

Don...would you be so kind as to keep us informed as to what modifications are required to make that block work with the 05? Thank you!
[/b][/quote]
I've seen two Teksids on e-Bay in the last week. One sold for $610 (I think) and the other (with a crank) for $750. And if everything works out, I'll for sure post details.
Old 3/8/06, 10:08 AM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racerx @ March 3, 2006, 9:48 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
Is that rwhp or at the crank?
Old 3/8/06, 11:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rebel73 @ March 8, 2006, 12:11 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Is that rwhp or at the crank?
[/b][/quote]

I can't say for 100% certainty, but I would think it would be 600HP at the crank, based on the way Sean mention's HP numbers in his book and on the chapter of him building a 405HP N/A Cobra engine - it clearly shows it being dynoed on an engine stand.

Also, the block that he mentions that is good for 600HP is from the previous generation's WAP block. I don't know how similar it is to our S-197's. Perhaps someone here can comment?
Old 3/10/06, 11:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

JDM is putting a lot of faith in the stock 05 alum block. Their 5.0L forged shortblock uses a stock 05 alum block. I trust their judgment, they are a pretty big name.

Call them and ask them what they think. They have always been extremely helpful to me.