GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Ford Racing X Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/06, 04:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ford Racing X Pipe?

What benefit if any should I expect by removing the H pipe and adding this FRPP X pipe? I was thinking of going with the same setup as the Shelby Hertz and Shelby GT and adding the FRPP mufflers too.

X Pipe
http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php...c2e11168713209

Mufflers
http://www.lethalperformance.com/pag...axle-back.html
Old 9/4/06, 06:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
I want to know too...

I've been bitten by the mod bug BAD....
Old 9/5/06, 10:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
What benefit if any should I expect by removing the H pipe and adding this FRPP X pipe? I was thinking of going with the same setup as the Shelby Hertz and Shelby GT and adding the FRPP mufflers too.

X Pipe
http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php...c2e11168713209

Mufflers
http://www.lethalperformance.com/pag...axle-back.html
Rich,

I really like the X-Pipe, it gave it a slightly louder more aggressive sound over stock. It is not overly loud and didn't cause any resonance or drone. Ford and Shelby say the X-Pipe is probably only good for about 5hp, which you aren't going to really feel, but it did feel slightly quicker, but I am sure that is just because it sounds faster. I bought a tubing cutter for about $20 and installed the X-Pipe myself, which was pretty easy to do on Rhino Ramps.
I ordered my X-Pipe for $120, and the GTA's for $270 from Matthews Ford (near Toledo, OH). The shipping total was $30 for both the X-Pipe and the mufflers, so that is still the cheapest place I have found. Even the local FRPP dealer here in Pensacola couldn't beat it. As soon as I get the mufflers in and installed I will post some pics and a report.
Old 9/5/06, 11:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Um... a tubing cutter? What exactly are you cutting and why? Maybe this is too much trouble for very little return. Thoughts?
Old 9/5/06, 01:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to cut out the existing h-pipe and then bolt in the new x-pipe.
Old 9/5/06, 04:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mrkabc, take a look in the last two issues of 5.0 Mustang. They show pics of installing the X-pipe in a project car. They dropped the stock pipes from the headers. It does seem like a fair amount of work. But, a good muffler shop should be able to do it for not to much money.
Old 9/5/06, 05:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Buster
Rich,

I really like the X-Pipe, it gave it a slightly louder more aggressive sound over stock. It is not overly loud and didn't cause any resonance or drone. Ford and Shelby say the X-Pipe is probably only good for about 5hp, which you aren't going to really feel, but it did feel slightly quicker, but I am sure that is just because it sounds faster. I bought a tubing cutter for about $20 and installed the X-Pipe myself, which was pretty easy to do on Rhino Ramps.
I ordered my X-Pipe for $120, and the GTA's for $270 from Matthews Ford (near Toledo, OH). The shipping total was $30 for both the X-Pipe and the mufflers, so that is still the cheapest place I have found. Even the local FRPP dealer here in Pensacola couldn't beat it. As soon as I get the mufflers in and installed I will post some pics and a report.
Have you installed the GTA's yet or are they on back order?
Did you drop the H-pipe or do it in place?
Old 9/5/06, 06:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by pville piper
Have you installed the GTA's yet or are they on back order?
Did you drop the H-pipe or do it in place?
I won't get the GTA's until mid-September as they are still on back order. The instructions that come with the X-Pipe show it being done in place on a lift. I did all the marking and cutting in place, but then dropped the left side down pipe/cat to make it easier to slide everything back together, as the X-Pipe slides on at an angle. If you had a lift, you will have enough room and wouldn't need to do that step. I did it just with Rhino Ramps, and it was still an easy install.
Old 9/5/06, 07:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'll probably order the X pipe and see how that goes since a fairly cheap mod. After that I will decide weather or not to pull the trigger on the mufflers. I'm going to Las Vegas on Sunday for business and I am going to cut out early Monday morning and go out to Shelby Automotive and take their 10:30 tour. I hope to hear some new Shelby GT's and that should pretty much answer my questions as far as the sound goes. I want something between stock and the Borlas that I had.

I got your pm graig and thanks for the info!
Old 9/6/06, 09:01 PM
Cobra Member

Bassani also makes a short X Pipe that in my opinion is a better X-Pipe than the Ford unit. I was going to get the FRRP but then discovered the Bassani. And it is 50 State Legal which i do not think the FRRP is.

Here is where the Bassani is sold. http://www.ninosport.com/

Richard
Old 9/6/06, 09:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD
Bassani also makes a short X Pipe that in my opinion is a better X-Pipe than the Ford unit. I was going to get the FRRP but then discovered the Bassani. And it is 50 State Legal which i do not think the FRRP is.

Here is where the Bassani is sold. http://www.ninosport.com/

Richard
That is incorrect. The FRPP X-Pipe is 50 state legal. All it does is replace the H with the X, the cats are not touched. The Bassani does the same thing and also requires cutting. The FRPP one is the same X-Pipe that is being installed on all Shelby GT-H's and Shelby GT's, and they are all 50 state legal. Also, the FRPP X-Pipe only costs $120 and is stainless, but the Bassani is $272, or $317 if you want it in stainless, so I am not sure why you think it is better? If the FRPP one is good enough for Carol Shelby, then it is good enough for me.
Old 9/6/06, 10:37 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote=GRAYPNY] I want something between stock and the Borlas that I had.

Mac
Old 9/6/06, 10:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well I ordered one today and I'll see how it sounds. Like I said I will probably go with the mufflers too but I really want to hear the combo before I order them. I agree, if it's good enough for the Shelby GT I think it will be good enough for me!
Old 9/6/06, 11:13 PM

Rich,

Is the dealership the only place to order the FRPP X-pipe? I see on the FRPP website that I can get the GTAs but not the x-pipe.
Old 9/6/06, 11:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

I love living near Rich, he always orders all the toys that I then get to check out! I am very interested in hearing the x-pipe. Getting the Shelby GT-H/GT exhaust sounds like a cheaper way to go than the Corsa's and if they sound nice it'll be a double score for the win!
Old 9/7/06, 08:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Yeah TOYS R ME and the next time we get together I'm even going to let you be the pilot.
Old 9/7/06, 08:51 AM
Cobra Member

That is incorrect. The FRPP X-Pipe is 50 state legal. All it does is replace the H with the X, the cats are not touched. The Bassani does the same thing and also requires cutting. The FRPP one is the same X-Pipe that is being installed on all Shelby GT-H's and Shelby GT's, and they are all 50 state legal. Also, the FRPP X-Pipe only costs $120 and is stainless, but the Bassani is $272, or $317 if you want it in stainless, so I am not sure why you think it is better? If the FRPP one is good enough for Carol Shelby, then it is good enough for me.
Last time i checked it was only 49 state legal. And that was about two weeks ago. FRRP has obviously not updated the site then. And here is a link to the site. Find the little Red Asterik at the top just after the part number and then at the bottom of the page read what it says.

http://www.performanceparts.ford.com...tKeyField=9049

Richard
Old 9/7/06, 10:00 AM
Bullitt Member

What if any performance gains are there from switching the H pipe for the FRPP X pipe but keeping the stock mufflers?

What change in sound is there? I personally am happy with the sound of my pony and get many compliments. I leave for work at 6:00 a.m. I think my neighbors would be unhappy if I were any louder though!!!
Old 9/7/06, 01:58 PM
V6 Member

I wonder how it sounds with my flowmasters. I would like to hear a bit more and more agressive. But I have always heard that H Pipe will give you more of a hollow sound while X pipe gives you a raspier sound.
Old 9/7/06, 02:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 06SilverBulet
I wonder how it sounds with my flowmasters. I would like to hear a bit more and more agressive. But I have always heard that H Pipe will give you more of a hollow sound while X pipe gives you a raspier sound.
I'm with you - I have a similar setup to you as in C&L, Flowmasters, and we live in CA!

If it isn't smog legal though I'm questioning the value of this mod, especially since we'd need to cut the stock H pipe (meaning no going back inexpensively).

Quick Reply: Ford Racing X Pipe?