GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Ford Racing Ford Racing Part# M-5230-GTA

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/06, 01:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by st06vert
Mine is a little nicer and better than taco bills exhaust. Oh wait a minute we have the same ones and he help me with the install.
Almost had me going there until I finshed reading the second sentence.

Yes, both ST and I are happy with the Stingers.
Old 7/3/06, 04:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sams66
Mustang Buster,

I just got back from Pensacola. My company is opening an office in the region, very nice area. we do construction and related work for the Navy and Air Force world wide.

back to the mufflers, the add says the GTA mufflers have 4" tips as well. and I dont really want anything super loud, and love the sound of the shelby hertz that is why I am going to get them. My local FRP dealer said 270 out the door!

Sam
Sam, Yep, we like Pensacola, there in not as much to do as a lot of places, but the beaches are nice. Let me know next time you are going to be this way.

Wow, $270 out the door, that is great! I hope I can get a similar deal once my 2007 arrrives. So are you going to order them? If so you will have to let us know the details. I like the Borla Stingers as well, but like you, I don't need something very loud, and if the tips on the GTA mufflers are in fact double-walled like it looks like in the pics, I would prefer that to the rolled edge tip of the Borla's. Also, please let us know if they are lighter or heavier than stock, and please confirm the 4" tip size and double-walled slant tips when they arrive. Thanks, and looking forward to seeing some pics after you get them installed!
Old 7/3/06, 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

I will definitely post up some pics. probably going to be awhile though, parts guy said that it would take around a week or so. FYI, talk to Scott at Matthews Ford in Oregon (toledo), OH, really nice guy and knows his parts, 419-698-4444.

Good Luck

Sam
Old 7/3/06, 06:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone, Do you know for sure that the FRPP have 4" tips, or 3 1/2" as the site informs. I know the "Borlas" have 4", and the FRPP are suppose to be the same, however, the FRPP site states 3 1/2". I seen several "threads" where some have claim that FRPP have 4" tips as well. Thank you!
Old 7/3/06, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Anyone know how these sound with an off road h pipe?
Old 7/4/06, 08:44 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by STANG_IT
Anyone know how these sound with an off road h pipe?
Yep check this thread out http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2...irl-55573.html best one I heard yet. It has Borla singers but they're the same thing
Old 7/4/06, 11:08 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by sams66
doesnt it say in the add for the Hertz shelby that the parts are from fords new power pak and if that is correct then the mufflers in the power pak at the 5230-gta.
Yes, that is correct. The 5230-gta mufflers are the mystery mufflers I'm talking about. The FRPP "5230-5gt" mufflers are the Borla Stingers. But so far no one has identified the FRPP "5230-gta" mufflers. They are no doubt made by someone else for Ford, but who?
Old 7/4/06, 11:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think the GTAs are Borla. They look just like the V-6 muffler which has Borla on the side.
Old 7/5/06, 09:25 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 1trickpony
I think the GTAs are Borla. They look just like the V-6 muffler which has Borla on the side.
The Borla V6 muffler is the same as the GT oval can muffler. But those are not the FRPP GTA mufflers, here's a comparison photo between the Borla oval cans and the FRPPs:

Old 7/26/06, 10:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Anyone, Do you know for sure that the FRPP have 4" tips, or 3 1/2" as the site informs. I know the "Borlas" have 4", and the FRPP are suppose to be the same, however, the FRPP site states 3 1/2". I seen several "threads" where some have claim that FRPP have 4" tips as well. Thank you!
Yes, the 5230-GTA (part of the FRPP Power Pack) has 4-inch tips.

From the FRPP site:

M-5230-GTA

T-409 stainless body with highly polished 4.0" diameter tips
Louder, "throatier" exhaust note
50 state legal
Old 7/26/06, 05:49 PM

After all the research, and finally landing with the Borla S type, I'm pretty sure the GTA part # are also Borlas but a toned down version of the Stingers. The GTA's will have a more traditional shape. I believe I pulled up both versions from whatever site I was at at the time (can't remember, months ago). I also remember reading a thread where somebody wasn't happy with the Borla/FRPP sound until he figured out he had put the GTA's (milder) on instead of the "S" type.

Keep in mind the "power pak" also mentions an X pipe and cat back similar to the GT500. Those same axlebacks, alone, on a stock GT may sound quite different than on a Shelby thats making much more power running a different X.

Beware the "video" made for TV as TacoBill said. They can do so much with sound that you may be unhappy if you go with something unheard, live, by your own two ears. I'm about a month into the Borlas and they're sounding even better now.
Old 7/26/06, 06:32 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a set of the GTA's on order, but they are on backorder until around mid-September. I will let everyone know what they are when they come in. I already got the x-pipe in, and can't wait to install them. Of course if someone would just go look under a GT-H and take some pictures for us up close, we would know for sure, ha, ha.
Old 7/29/06, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Mine (M-5230-5GT) were $369 plus shipping from Downs Ford.
Hey TacoBill, can you tell me the contact info on who to call at Downs Ford to order the M-5230-5GT exhaust? The place I was going to order them from is about $30 more and a lot further away so shipping is a lot more. Thanks for the help!
Old 7/29/06, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cable
Hey TacoBill, can you tell me the contact info on who to call at Downs Ford to order the M-5230-5GT exhaust? The place I was going to order them from is about $30 more and a lot further away so shipping is a lot more. Thanks for the help!
Contact Joe or Jennifer at 800 378 3673 ext 958, Mon-Fri 10-6 and Sat 10-2 EST.
Old 7/29/06, 11:10 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by DUD121
After all the research, and finally landing with the Borla S type, I'm pretty sure the GTA part # are also Borlas but a toned down version of the Stingers. The GTA's will have a more traditional shape. I believe I pulled up both versions from whatever site I was at at the time (can't remember, months ago). I also remember reading a thread where somebody wasn't happy with the Borla/FRPP sound until he figured out he had put the GTA's (milder) on instead of the "S" type.
Again, these GTH mufflers are NOT the "milder" Borla mufflers. The pic I posted above is a comparison pic of the "milder" Borlas compared to the GTH mufflers:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...6&d=1151903398

This picture is NOT of the Stingers. Here's a link to the Stingers, they look completely different than the milder oval can Borlas:

http://www.borla.com/applications/lo...ressive/11750/

Neither the oval can nor Stinger Borlas look anything like the GTH mufflers. Perhaps Borla is making a 3rd muffler that Ford is using for the GTH, but I doubt it because they would likely have it on their site by now.
Old 7/29/06, 11:24 PM

Here's another option from FRPP, it's the M-5230-GTQ mufflers.

This set was accidentally shipped to me first.

I have no idea how these would've sounded (never installed them), but I assume the 'Q' stands for Quiet.
Attached Thumbnails Ford Racing Ford Racing Part# M-5230-GTA-img_7390m.jpg   Ford Racing Ford Racing Part# M-5230-GTA-img_7392m.jpg  
Old 7/30/06, 01:27 AM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,787 Posts
I don't know, if any of you are aware of this..But, the louder axle back exhaust, from FRPP is really designed by Steeda Autosports..Although, they may resemble Borla stingers..They are not made by Borla..In fact, Ford and Steeda, share a partnership called the Transfer Technology Program, through (SEMA) which means that Steeda designs Ford's aftermarket performance parts, which consist of the FRPP racing package, in accordance to Ford's engineering specifications and calibrations..Steeda, also designs the FRPP cold air package, as well..Anyway, here's a link for the Steeda version, of the louder axle back exhaust, your looking for..Once you take a look for yourself, you'll agree they look exactly the same, as the FRPP racing exhaust..http://www.steeda.com/products/exhaust.php
Old 7/30/06, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
..Once you take a look for yourself, you'll agree they look exactly the same, as the FRPP racing exhaust..http://www.steeda.com/products/exhaust.php
Tribal knowledge in several Mustang Forums (incl. TMS) say that the FRPP M-5230-5GT's are made by Borla.

Not saying that you're wrong, as I can't validate your statement, but has anyone else heard of this?

btw- They are not exactly the same...
Attached Thumbnails Ford Racing Ford Racing Part# M-5230-GTA-img_7416m.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 7/30/06, 09:14 AM

The Steeda tip does not look rolled at the edge (hard to tell in that pic) & the hanger on the FRPP looks to rap round the pipe and welds onto itself. The Steeda one looks to only weld at the pipe.
Old 7/30/06, 09:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Tribal knowledge in several Mustang Forums (incl. TMS) say that the FRPP M-5230-5GT's are made by Borla.

Not saying that you're wrong, as I can't validate your statement, but has anyone else heard of this?

btw- They are not exactly the same...
I called ford dealers and frpp before ordering. They all said its borla. Why would they say something thats not true .
They don't look the same. Side by side with stinger its identical.

Quick Reply: Ford Racing Ford Racing Part# M-5230-GTA