GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Ford Racing / Bullitt cold air kit

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/08, 08:59 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Racing / Bullitt cold air kit

I was able to get a great deal on this CAI without the ProCal tuner tool. Since Christmas is just around the corner, I'll be on a tight budget for a while. If I installed this CAI without a tune (for now) would there be any bad side affects?
The car has very low miles and is used only for an ocassional week end cruise and i'd get a proper tune in the spring.
Old 12/2/08, 09:14 PM
Cobra Member

I would not recommend it. From everything I have read, the MAF on these cars are very sensitve and even the smallest change to airflow from adding this mild CAI could cause you to run lean. Wait until you get a tuner and tune to be on the safe side.
Old 12/2/08, 10:42 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,699 Posts
Originally Posted by HPwhitevert
I was able to get a great deal on this CAI without the ProCal tuner tool. Since Christmas is just around the corner, I'll be on a tight budget for a while. If I installed this CAI without a tune (for now) would there be any bad side affects?
The car has very low miles and is used only for an ocassional week end cruise and i'd get a proper tune in the spring.
Andy !!!

Whatever you do, do NOT use the FRPP CAI without the ProCal tool, or without getting an aftermarket tune first. Otherwise, your car will go into fail safe mode, and will not run properly.

The reason I know this, is I have the Steeda version. Which also has the same 90mm MAF housing as the FRPP CAI.

In the meantime, just be aware that whenever your using a CAI, which has a larger MAF over your stock airbox. You must use a hand held programmer that's designed for that particular CAI, in order to function properly !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/2/08 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12/3/08, 01:37 AM
GT Member

thanks for the advice. this unit is an 85mm housing and I must re-use the stock mass air meter sensor.
Old 12/3/08, 07:01 PM
V6 Member

If this is the intake you are reffering to you will deffinetely need a tuner. Bamachips did the tunes for mine and couldn't be happier with the results.
Old 12/3/08, 08:57 PM
GT Member

Thanks Joe - yep, it's similar - only difference is that it does not have the air silencer box on the bottom of the inlet tube and it has a painted 'Ford Racing" logo on the 'scoop housing'.
Looks good on your CS up in there too. Did you use the Diablosport Predator?
Old 12/4/08, 04:36 AM
V6 Member

Thanks Joe - yep, it's similar - only difference is that it does not have the air silencer box on the bottom of the inlet tube and it has a painted 'Ford Racing" logo on the 'scoop housing'.
Looks good on your CS up in there too. Did you use the Diablosport Predator?
Mine is from a Bullitt. It is the one that Doug developed tunes from. I went with the SCT because I have an auto and Doug said he can do more for autos with the SCT.
Old 12/4/08, 01:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by JOEGTS
Mine is from a Bullitt. It is the one that Doug developed tunes from. I went with the SCT because I have an auto and Doug said he can do more for autos with the SCT.
Got an e-mail in to Doug right now...
Old 12/4/08, 08:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Bullitt intake and got my tunes from Tillman. The 91 race tune is unbelievable...
Old 12/4/08, 08:39 PM
V6 Member

Got an e-mail in to Doug right now...
Be patient, he is hard to get in touch with sometimes. I promise it will be worth the wait!
Old 12/5/08, 10:35 PM

thanks for the advice. this unit is an 85mm housing and I must re-use the stock mass air meter sensor.
You'll still need to reflash, as the Bullitt intake is 85mm. Where as the stock MAF housing is 80mm.
Old 12/6/08, 12:02 AM
GT Member

Thanks for the advice guys. the FRPP CAI arrived today. Even from the size of the intake filter I can see that you guys are correct - a tune is absolutely necessary. The surface area of the FRPP cone filter vs. the OEM panel filter has got to be over 2X - it's a monster. Plus I'm using the 3D Carbon inboard fog grill and I have a design idea on how to get even more cold air up into the scoop filter bucket at speed.

The stock filter box and tune must really choke down these 4.6L/3V engines.

The box included all mounting hardware and a 2009 FRPP catalog but no install instructions. This looks pretty straightforward to me but does anyone have an installation instruction sheet on this?
Old 12/6/08, 07:32 AM
GT Member

pics of FRPP CAI

Attached are pics of this out of the box. 2 things I found interesting:

1) This CAI came with mounting hardware, including a longer front stud for mounting the hydraulic block and the front of the filter bucket. You do need to reuse 1 capscrew that holds the stock box down in the rear. You must also reuse the stock MAF, but new screws are provided. in addition a large plug is included for the hole in the filter bucket. I'm not sure why that 1 1/2" hole is even there. I have read on other posts where the Ford Bullitt version came with no mounting hardware.

2) The intake tube has molded over plugs where the silencer would be mounted and inside of the tube has an internal skeleton - see pics. This looks to me like it would cause unnecessary turbulence and pressure drop due to the rough internal surface. Seems that this piece could use an aftermarket improvement that would have a smooth bore, maybe even a heat insulating material/design.

Overall however, this is well engineered and looks like the filter bucket will fit as advertised up into the depressions on the hood blanket and seal out under hood heat. Now I need that tune...
Attached Thumbnails Ford Racing / Bullitt cold air kit-bucket-end.jpg   Ford Racing / Bullitt cold air kit-tb-end.jpg   Ford Racing / Bullitt cold air kit-tube-bottom.jpg   Ford Racing / Bullitt cold air kit-filter-bucket.jpg   Ford Racing / Bullitt cold air kit-hardware.jpg  

Ford Racing / Bullitt cold air kit-maf-connection.jpg  
Old 12/6/08, 11:08 AM
Bullitt Member

That was the same setup I got except mine was missing the front stud. I had to bore out the metal part of the grommet and use a longer bolt to hold it down. What is this silencer I keep reading about?
Old 12/6/08, 11:57 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
That was the same setup I got except mine was missing the front stud. I had to bore out the metal part of the grommet and use a longer bolt to hold it down. What is this silencer I keep reading about?
If am not mistaken, the non-FRPP Bullitt intakes came with silencers on the intake tube as do the ones you get from KC. Check out this thread, especially post #22 that shows the pictures of the "silencers".

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=460983
Old 12/6/08, 03:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok, so it is those funky pieces on the underside of the intake tube that look like a plastic goiter... I don't have those thankfully. How do they work and what exactly does a "silencer" accomplish?
Old 12/6/08, 04:49 PM

I must have misunderstood your initial post, as I thought you were referring to the original FRPP 90mm CAI, instead of the new Bullitt 85mm version.

At any rate, you'll still need a computer reflash. As your factory tune, is designed for the 80mm stock MAF housing/airbox.
Old 12/6/08, 06:09 PM
Cobra Member

silencer is a noise tuning device to dampen the inlet frequencies.

Inside of the tube may be rough, but sometime turbulence is good for maintaining good flow dynamics.

Last edited by RadBOSS; 12/6/08 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12/6/08, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RadBOSS
silencer is a noise tuning device to dampen the inlet frequencies.

Inside of the tube may be rough, but sometime turbulence is good for maintaining good flow dynamics.
Well, I kind of like the howl of a good intake so I'm glad I don't have them.
Old 12/7/08, 02:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Is this the intake Diversified Products is selling on ebay

Last edited by GtStang4; 12/7/08 at 03:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Ford Racing / Bullitt cold air kit