GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Ford Denies Warranty because of Aftermarket Parts

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/06, 10:07 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own a 2005 Mustang GT, I have several Modifications to the engine mostly cosmetic, Steel Braided hose, Plenum cover Ect. The three major engine mods I have is a K&N Cold Air Intake, Granatelli Motor Sports 62 mm Billet Throttle Body and Steeda Underdrive Pulleys.

The Problem Started last week when I hit a large puddle in a rain storm and the engine got real wet, a few hours later I got a Check Engine Light, I used my SCT II to view the CEL Code. It Showed a DTC P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit" I reset the codes and the CEL came back the next day. So I dropped my car off at a Ford Dealer. They called me later and said that the problem is the generator, but they could not replace it under warranty because of the aftermarket underdrive pulleys, and he said that they may have damaged the generator.

I looked up the code DTC P0340 and I found a TSB 06-02-09 DTC P0340/P0344/P0345/P0349 - 4.6L 3V AND 5.4L 3V

Some 2005-2006 Mustang GT vehicles, equipped with 4.6L 3V engine, may exhibit a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0340 and/or P0344. This may be due to a malfunctioning diode or open phase connection in the generator.

I also Contacted Steeda Performance Parts in Pompano Beach, they stated that the underdrive pulleys only replace the Harmonic Balancer and Water pump pulleys, they do not touch the generator. They also stated to me that these pulleys were designed by ford engineers and are installed on some performance mustangs sold on some ford dealer's lots including Saleen, SVT and Roush mustangs. So Ford can not deny warranty coverage of the alternator because of the Steeda pulleys.

They told me to go to SEMA.ORG website and Read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, and that the dealer must prove that the aftermarket parts caused or contributed to the failure. I pointed this out to the dealer and they got very defensive and told me to take the car to my mechanic, put the stock pulleys on then if the car gets a code, they will fix it. Well this was going to cost me more time from work and cost to have the pulleys swapped out. I did not see anywhere in the law where the Burdon of proof falls on my shoulders to help him prove his case. He now is saying that Ford Corporate denied warranty on the generator and he will not replace it at his cost. I again pointed out that there are cars in his lot that have the same aftermarket products installed and they warranty them, his comment, theirs were installed by a certified Ford mechanics. (his comment here makes no sense). And How about the "Pattern of failure" the TSB, it does not say "if you have aftermarket parts installed you get this error".

Even If I reinstall the stock Pulleys I am tagged in their computer as a problem, no ford dealer will help me, I asked Several in the area and they all say the same thing, WARRANTY VOID PERIOD. "we do not fix modded cars"

This of course in the short story, the long story is still in play, Going to dealer on monday, they have had my car for 6 days now.
Old 4/15/06, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought a used alternator from ebay...

Good luck to you.
Old 4/15/06, 10:34 PM
GT Member

This stuff really gets to me. I once had a 97 with an "extended warranty" and wouldn't you know it, whatever failed somehow wasn't covered.

When I bought my 05, I PURPOSELY told them I was going to put N20 on the car and race it at the track. They dropped the extra warranty they wanted me to buy in like 2 seconds flat. Knowing I was going to mod this car, I wasn't about to spend $1500 for them to tell me its not covered by buying the extra super duper warranty.

Those pulleys didn't effect the generator one bit, they just don't want to cover it.
Old 4/15/06, 11:02 PM
Cobra Member

go to another dealer and try again.

-Dan
Old 4/15/06, 11:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

that blows. usually they're more than happy to accomodate 'cuz the dealership just sends the bill off to Corporate head office. Especially on something that has a TSB out on it. It's not like you're blowing 30lbs and cratered the motor. jeez
Old 4/15/06, 11:36 PM
Cobra Member

btw, you should just drive into my dealership if you ever blow your motor. My very good friend is the Foreman, I get big perks...

-Dan
Old 4/16/06, 12:00 AM

It seems that dealerships can choose to not perform warranty work if you have mods. Yes, you could probably fight it and eventually get them to perform the warranty...but would you really want them working on your car at that point. Just as mentioned above, find another dealership.
Old 4/16/06, 07:54 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
That's why I am afraid to put on any mods I can't pull off quickly. If you can take a car back to the dealer looking stock, there isn't anything they can say. Wait until the warranty is over or fight the man. Those are the rules. They will fight things that are obviously warranty problems, aftermarket parts give them an easy reason to say NO. I even ordered the full replacement sequential tailight harness for more money because there is no splicing wires (and I have been building electronics since 1966).
All it takes is one dealer in the world to report it to the central computer and then everyone knows and will not touch it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
Old 4/16/06, 08:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

It sucks about how dealers can void warranties, but you did an engine modification, and the extra power and messing with the balance of the engine (with the pullies), caused your generator to go.

The magnusson moss act is very misleading, really it only means that if you do an engine modification, and your radio breaks, that they cannot void the warranty. However, if you do an engine mod, and anything in your drivetrain goes, its coming out of your pocket.

The bottom line is that unless you get the dealer to either perform the modificaitons, or recommend a shop to do the mods and the dealer will uphold the warranty. But because you didnt, you gotta pay to play.
Old 4/16/06, 10:20 AM
Cobra Member

welcome to what I have been saying all along....Best bet try another dealer or better yet start making freinds with the service advisors at the ford dealerships..hope it works out for ya
Old 4/16/06, 05:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

I noticed that you are in Virginia. If you want to drive up to Maryland (Gaithersburg), you can try Sheehy Performance. They are a performance shop owned by Sheehy Ford, and they do warranty and maintenance work just like a dealer does. Let's just say that I've heard they are a bit more reasonable when it comes to mods and warranty work. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] Google them--they have a website.
Old 4/16/06, 05:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Import-Slaya @ April 16, 2006, 5:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I noticed that you are in Virginia. If you want to drive up to Maryland (Gaithersburg), you can try Sheehy Performance. They are a performance shop owned by Sheehy Ford, and they do warranty and maintenance work just like a dealer does. Let's just say that I've heard they are a bit more reasonable when it comes to mods and warranty work. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] Google them--they have a website.
[/b][/quote]

Does anybody know a dealer in CT like this?
Old 4/16/06, 07:06 PM

or in michigan?

I live in the metro area. I don't know of anyone else that has a Ford dealer that they like and trust. I'm trying to find one in case of warranty work, that isn't going to flip over a CAI.

any help?
Old 4/17/06, 09:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Check out the article in the June MM&FF.
Old 4/18/06, 04:35 AM
V6 Member

Scott, that blows!! Which dealer did yoou take it to so we can all avoid them? Give Chris at Excessive a call. When I was down there a couple of months ago they were sending an '05 GT to a Ford Dealership on a flatbed for service. They were talking to the Tech on the phone and sounded pretty chummy with them. They may have a good point of contact at the dealer that can hook you up. Give it a shot and let us know how it all play's out. Good luck, Joe
Old 4/18/06, 07:21 AM
Bullitt Member

I've been wondering about this. Thanks for making a topic about it.

My mom works for a dealer and she's pretty chummy with all the guys at service, so maybe something can be hopefully worked out...but I don't know.

The key is making sure nothing goes wrong! (yeah right) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 4/18/06, 08:18 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eleanor Dreaming @ April 17, 2006, 11:35 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Check out the article in the June MM&FF.
[/b][/quote]

I saw that too
Old 4/18/06, 09:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

that sucks. i cant wait to see my ford dealers face when he sees my Kenne Bell S/C under the hood
Old 4/18/06, 10:48 PM

Contact Ford Corporate directly, and file a formal compliant..I checked with 2 different Ford dealers about this and according the parts and service managers, the dealership by itself, cannot void you're warranty, the dealer must have a field represenative, conduct a full investigation, in addtion to bringing in a Ford engineer, who must then determine and prove beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the actual aftermarket part was the actual cause of the warranted part or parts failure, I was also informed that you can purchase Roush UD pullies directly from the Ford Accessories website, which are considered to be ford performance parts, and if you have an authorized Ford technician install them for you..you're factory warranty will not be affected in anyway, so you may also want to consider this as a future option, as well..otherwise if you have to...retain an attorney and take you're dealer to court..I can almost guarantee that once the dealer is made aware..they will change thier tune, real quick..Anyway hope this is helpful...Good Luck [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/19/06, 10:40 AM
Cobra R Member

What article in June MM & FF? I must have missed it.

Quick Reply: Ford Denies Warranty because of Aftermarket Parts