GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Flowmasters or Ford Racing (Borlas)?

Search this Thread

Old 11/22/05, 08:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read the exhaust thread and done numerous searches and have narrowed it down to these two axle-backs. I want something louder/better than stock but not crazy loud (no Loudmouths) that would annoy my wife and neighbors. I don't mind some drone as long as it doesn't rattle my teeth out or make it hard to listen to music on the highway. I also don't want to break the bank. Right now I'm leaning towards the Flowmasters. Here are the pros and cons that I see:

Flowmasters Pros:
-Blacked out mufflers for the stealth look
-They claim it "provide(s) minimal interior resonance while delivering a deep and aggressive exterior tone"
-From the videos I have heard, a deep, burbly sound at idle
-Pretty cheap at $275

Flowmasters Cons:
-Aluminized, not stainless steel (will it rust out more easily?)
-As large and heavy as stock
-Some people have had defective passenger mufflers recently
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ford Racing Pros:
-Borlas for much cheaper
-Stainless steel
-50% lighter than stock
-Dealers might not question since it's a Ford part

Ford Racing Cons:
-Teeth rattling interior resonance at certain RPMS (?)
-Not as deep sounding as the Flows
-More expensive by at least $60
-Borderline too loud for some people? (maybe me)

What do you guys/gals think? :scratch:
Old 11/22/05, 08:19 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Flowmasters Pros:
-Blacked out mufflers for the stealth look... check
-They claim it "provide(s) minimal interior resonance while delivering a deep and aggressive exterior tone"... check
-From the videos I have heard, a deep, burbly sound at idle... check
-Pretty cheap at $275... check

Flowmasters Cons:
-Aluminized, not stainless steel (will it rust out more easily?) So? In 7 or 8 years you'll probably have a GT500.
-As large and heavy as stock true
-Some people have had defective passenger mufflers recently not on mine, installed by muffler shop

I waited 6 weeks for Borlas and gave up, then ordered the Flowmasters. I am glad it turned out the way it did. The GT is now complete.
Old 11/22/05, 09:51 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Well, I can vouch for the Borla's. Ask anyone who has them..... they sound INCREADIBLE. The sound is DEEP btw. And you can't beat 4" tips and stainless steel.

And I'm sure both systems drone about the same IMO.
Old 11/22/05, 10:09 PM
FR500 Member

Dan, the Borla/FRPP ambassador

I'll throw in my praise for the FRPP/Borla's

But I must warn you, that your wife may not be too crazy for them. They do drone, I think it comes down to how tolerant you are to it, and by everybodies opion on this issue, is impossible to quantify unless you hear them in person, IMO.

What you think is incessant drone, I may find cool

With my CAI on now it got a tad louder, and I now "burble" more on decelleration.. I love burble
Old 11/22/05, 10:18 PM
Bullitt Member

I run the Flowmasters and they do have a drone also. But if you are in overdrive at freeway speeds, the car is almost quite as stock. If you are running a CAI, The exhaust is deeper with more bass. I took off My CAI for a Tune to get done, so I'm back to running the stock airbox and the exhaust is quieter now. I've always been a Flowmaster man, once again it is personal preference. But before I decided on the Flowmasters, I had thought I had decided about a half dozen times (magnaflow, Bassani, FRPP, Steeda, IMCO, SLP LM) which one to go with, then on a impulse I ordered the Flowmasters. I have not second guessed my decision since I put them on. I'm now just trying to decide now to go with Long Tubes and a catted X pipe, or the Off road H pipe from Brenspeed.
Old 11/22/05, 11:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've been debating Flows vs Corsas. Corsas are hella expensive at $600 - hope they're worth it.
Old 11/23/05, 05:15 AM

it went down to those two sets of mufflers for me as well (frpp/borla vs. flowmaster)... i ended up going with the frpp and am happy as can be with them... they sound great... they are loud, however i don't think too loud.... enough to hear something, but not overwelming to me... when i crank the stereo a bit, it gives me a perfect mixture of tunes and hearing the car... which i hardly do anymore since i just love listening to the car now... my girlfriend thinks they are too loud, which puts them just about at perfect in my book... ; )

my buddy who had a 500+hp mustang a few years back was pushing me and pushing me to put the flows on.... basically, flowmaster is the only option for him... i did a bunch of research online, listened to every sound clip i could find and settled on the frpps... after we popped them on, he was in shock at how good they sounded and regularly comments on how good it sounds ever since... i have those weekend harley guys giving me thumbs ups and talking to me about my exhaust quite regularly, which if you've heard one of them lately says something.... i have no idea how they can even hear me over their exhaust...

they are deep and mean sounding... they do have some drone spots... but i find that i often try to keep it in those spots (reference the girlfriend comment above... : ) they are a bit raspy, no confusing them with chambered mufflers, but very tough sounding... and yes lots of burble.... very cool... also they look really nice... they hide under the car so you really can't see muffler under the bumper any more... much better looking than it looked stock imo... and the 4" tips are really sharp...

i honestly think that you will be happy with either option though, since the flows sound great too... enjoy... : )
Old 11/23/05, 05:52 AM
Bullitt Member

I have the flowmasters, and have noticed no drone. They have a better sound than stock, but not too loud. I also paid less than 250.00.
Old 11/23/05, 06:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

LOVE MY FLOWMASTERS!!!! THEY SOUND GREAT!! I payed $245 for them, great price
Old 11/23/05, 06:43 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The ONLY gripe I have with the Borla's/FRPP is the rolled tips...they look like a million bucks..when they are CLEAN...

The flowmasters are not for everyone.
I'm not a fan myself, but I know why people like them.

Honestly best bet is to hear both side by side and then make a decision.
Magnapacks VS Borla's...again, ask Adrenalin and he'll tell you the sound difference... I think he's itching to get a pair :P
Old 11/23/05, 07:18 AM
Bullitt Member

My FRPP's are rolled tips... that is if i know what a rolled tip is. Is it just that the metal rolls inside at the end of the tip sort of rounding it off and making it look a bit thicker? If so then FRPP's are rolled as well. Keeping mine from staying black at the bottom is a PITA.
Old 11/23/05, 07:21 AM
FR500 Member

The FRPP tips are, in fact rolled. The very same tips that are on the Borla's. No difference (except that one says Ford Racing and the other says Borla).

I think Boomer might be confusing the Steeda Borlas with the FRPP ones, those do in fact have slash cut tips vice the rolled ones.
Old 11/23/05, 08:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by bryman@November 22, 2005, 10:08 PM

Flowmasters Pros:
-Blacked out mufflers for the stealth look
-They claim it "provide(s) minimal interior resonance while delivering a deep and aggressive exterior tone"
-From the videos I have heard, a deep, burbly sound at idle
-Pretty cheap at $275

Flowmasters Cons:
-Aluminized, not stainless steel (will it rust out more easily?)
-As large and heavy as stock
-Some people have had defective passenger mufflers recently
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can't comment on the Borlas but as far as your Con's go on Flows.

--The muffler is half the size of the stock muffler and lighter

--Haven't heard of the defective passenger muffler but now I will pay close attention to mine
Old 11/23/05, 09:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a pair of 7 year old 3 chamber Flowmasters on my F100. They are still rock solid and sound exactly the same as the day I bought it. And that's after about 70k miles so far.

Or, to put it another way, I wouldn't worry too much about the long term durability of the Flowmasters. They are a very well made muffler.
Old 11/23/05, 10:00 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget the FM's four inch tips.....

Go with THE FLOW, baby..... go with THE FLOW......
Old 11/23/05, 10:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

my passenger muffler had an issue and flowmaster sent me a new one for free! they said they changed the weld parameters and it should fix it.

by the way...i love my flows! they are awesome!
Old 11/23/05, 08:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for all your input. I think I'm gonna go with the flow
Old 11/23/05, 09:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
To bad you ruled out the SLP's, they are not even as close to being as bad as you are assuming. They are loud at first start up of the day...for about 10 seconds, also loud and mean at WOT, other than that they are pretty quiet to tell you the truth. They look great, tips and under car, made of stainless, and can be had for about 150.00 used, 300.00 new.
Old 11/26/05, 12:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MaverickMLFD371@November 23, 2005, 7:33 AM
LOVE MY FLOWMASTERS!!!! THEY SOUND GREAT!! I payed $245 for them, great price

Come on man, that's like saying you a hot celebrity and not giving her name. Where did you get them that cheap?

:nono:
Old 11/26/05, 03:31 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Whoops my bad...
Yes I was thinking Steeda... not FRPP...

Carry on

Quick Reply: Flowmasters or Ford Racing (Borlas)?