GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Flowmaster Videos

Search this Thread

Old 11/1/05, 11:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is always a lot of questions about the Flowmaster "American Thunder" Aft-Axle Exhaust on here, so I decided to put together a couple of videos with my Flowmasters.

One video is a comparison of the stock vs. Flowmasters at a standstill while revving the engine up a bit. The 2nd video is about a minute and a half collage of me driving around with the windows up. I tried it with the windows down, which in person sounds a lot better than windows up, but the camera was picking up so much wind noise it was drowning out the exhaust, so I had to do it windows up.

You still don't get the whole effect of the new exhausts low sound frequency, but with some decent PC speakers, it gives a pretty good idea of the difference from stock.

I have made each video available in Real Media (.rm) & Windows Media Video (.wmv), incase your don't have a player for one format or the other.

Go to my website, www.2006-Mustang-GT.com , and click on the "Video Clips" icon. The exhaust videos are the two at the bottom of the list. Hope this helps out those still on the fence on staying stock or getting the Flowmasters. Enjoy!
Old 11/1/05, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the videos. I'll be sure to check it out when I get home.
Old 11/1/05, 12:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

thanx for the vid. I have the Flowmasters and was wondering just the real difference would be. It may be an optical ilusion but, the right tip looks close to the bodywork.
Old 11/1/05, 12:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Eleanor Dreaming@November 1, 2005, 3:34 PM
It may be an optical ilusion but, the right tip looks close to the bodywork.
The right tip is a little to the right, but it looks closer in the video than it really is. I was short on time the day I put it on, and I've been so busy with yard work that I've not had the chance to get it all aligned correctly. Have to get to it next weekend, I hope.
Old 11/1/05, 12:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for going to the trouble to make the videos and post. That kind of participation is what makes the forum such a great resource!
Old 11/1/05, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by stang9325@November 1, 2005, 2:08 PM
Thanks for the videos. I'll be sure to check it out when I get home.

Love your Avatar... Did you make it?
Old 11/1/05, 01:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 2006GT@November 1, 2005, 3:31 PM
Love your Avatar... Did you make it?
Thanks. No actually my sister found it on some site, can't remember which one though. Laughed my hiney off when I saw it though, figured everyone else would get a kick out of it too.
Old 11/1/05, 08:22 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by KWMJ-KTP@November 1, 2005, 12:54 PM
There is always a lot of questions about the Flowmaster "American Thunder" Aft-Axle Exhaust on here, so I decided to put together a couple of videos with my Flowmasters.

One video is a comparison of the stock vs. Flowmasters at a standstill while revving the engine up a bit. The 2nd video is about a minute and a half collage of me driving around with the windows up. I tried it with the windows down, which in person sounds a lot better than windows up, but the camera was picking up so much wind noise it was drowning out the exhaust, so I had to do it windows up.

You still don't get the whole effect of the new exhausts low sound frequency, but with some decent PC speakers, it gives a pretty good idea of the difference from stock.

I have made each video available in Real Media (.rm) & Windows Media Video (.wmv), incase your don't have a player for one format or the other.

Go to my website, www.2006-Mustang-GT.com , and click on the "Video Clips" icon. The exhaust videos are the two at the bottom of the list. Hope this helps out those still on the fence on staying stock or getting the Flowmasters. Enjoy!

Nice Video....I have automatic too.Do you start off in first gear on the video?JohnnyT
Old 11/1/05, 08:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great videos bud!

I really liked the driving video. At first, I heard this rattle every time you turned the car around and got back on the gas. I finally figured it out when I turned off my computer speakers (which have the sub sitting right above the monitor) and fired up my Senn headphones (powered by a hand built amplifier...). That rattle was gone. And the Flows sounded good.

From my hearing, it sounded like the Flows didn't change then nature of the sound much, just dropped the tone an octave or so (and a bit louder of course). Definitely sounds MUCH better than stock.

When I first got the car, I thought it was loud enough. Now, well, maybe not...

I think your videos have finally convinced me that the Flowmasters will be the mufflers I put on my car. Very well done and THANKS!
Old 11/2/05, 03:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by johnnytuinals@November 1, 2005, 11:25 PM
Nice Video....I have automatic too.Do you start off in first gear on the video?JohnnyT
I just had it in Drive when I made the video since I was holding the camera with my right hand. Most of the acceleration from a stop was at about 50%-75% throttle, except for the last clip on the video.
Old 11/2/05, 03:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by shatter@November 1, 2005, 4:01 PM
Thanks for going to the trouble to make the videos and post. That kind of participation is what makes the forum such a great resource!
It's no trouble at all! It's just nice to be able to help others on the forum, as many on the forum have helped me out with questions and decisions that I have had too.
Old 11/2/05, 04:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks Kenny for the vids.
Question, what other exhaust systems did you consider before deciding on the Flowmasters? What were your pro and cons?
Old 11/2/05, 06:21 PM

Great website! I watched all the videos. I've read alot about the Flowmasters and have been considering them for my 05 but always wanted to hear them first. This has been a great help. I look forward to you adding more stuff to the site.
Old 11/3/05, 07:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TacoBill@November 2, 2005, 7:10 PM
Thanks Kenny for the vids.
Question, what other exhaust systems did you consider before deciding on the Flowmasters? What were your pro and cons?
My main two sources of information was an article in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords a few months back, and of course, all the members here on the forum.

The Muscle Mustang article compared the Flowmaster, Ford Racing/Borla, Bassani, Magnaflow, and more to see if there were any power gains. The Flowmasters had the best low-end power gain, and did not loose any power at the top like some of the other exhausts did, compared to stock.

Another factor was price. I got them from Summit for around $275. Some of the other exhausts are $400-$500, but not all of them.

And last of all, I did not want anything too loud and noisy, but rather an exhaust that just sounded better and deeper.

The Flowmasters just seemed to best fit the bill for what I had in mind, and I am glad I decided on them. They really add to the experience of driving these cars, IMO.
Old 11/3/05, 08:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks Kenny.
I have several sound clips of various exhaust systems and so far, I'm sold on the Flowmasters.
Old 11/3/05, 08:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

I love my Flowmasters, but they did cause my mileage to go down. Well maybe they didn't cause it to down, my right foot probably had more to with it. I just love to hear that sound.
Old 11/3/05, 10:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

Yup, love my Flowmasters, waiting for Flowmasters to send me my new kit for the defective weld in the right muffler, should be here soon....
Old 11/3/05, 11:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Speak of the Devil! Just called Flowmasters for a UPS Tracking number, got the number, tracked it, already Delivered Today!! Sweet!!
Old 11/3/05, 11:30 AM
V6 Member

Hey thanks a lot for the videos, Kenny. Im sure this is going to help out a lot of people that are considering the flowmasters... including myself. Thanks again man!
Old 11/4/05, 12:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I had made reference to a Muscle Mustang and Fast Ford article above, so I figured I would add this spreadsheet somebody here on the forum had put together using information from the article. Here is the link...

S197 Aft-Axle Exhaust Comparison