GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Flowmaster ROCKS!

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/06, 06:26 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flowmaster ROCKS!

I took delivery of my factory ordered Stang last week. My first mod was the Granatelli CAI(410040-P). Awesome product with good gains and no tune(See Granatelli's threads). My second mod was the Flowmaster AMs. I can not say enough good thing about this exhaust. Some say they aren't loud enough. Believe me, they're loud enough- BUT a good loud. I don't know why anyone would want anything louder. With the windows up and the AC blasting, my shaker has to be mid-way to here my new Tool CD.

Exhaust: Seriously, I'm no noob to fast cars and racing bikes. I've had an array of exhausts on all of them. This is, by far, the best sounding exhaust I've evey heard. Notice, I said best, not loudest. There is a big difference... I don't know, maybe the 07s sound a little different, maybe the CAI helped- It's hard to tell, but ALL heads turn when I drive by. As far as the "loudness" scale goes, I would have to say if stock is a "1", these would be a solid "3". Maybe a "4" at WOT.

Drone: I never really understood this phenomena. It has been explained to me as irritating, mind splitting, cab vibrating, etc. That being said, I have experience ZERO drone. I know that there is bad loud, and good loud. Bad loud would be compared to listing to Pantara with cheap Delco speakers. Good loud- Soundgarden with Bose, hence FLOWMASTERS.

Rattling: Well, obviously, if these Flows start to rattle, then I would have to question their quality. I can not make an assessment on that issue as I have not experience it, however, I do understand and sympathized with those of you who have... I would be very disappointed as well. I hope that it does't happen!

Install: Simple, actully very simple- 40 minutes max. Fit was perfect the first time. A 13 metric ratcheting wrench will help tremenously. I purchasted two u-bolt clamps($1.50 each) and attached them right-up-and-against the factory nub and torqued them down. NO PROBLEMS. I probably wouldn't have needed them, but I did not want to crawl back under car. Maybe over-kill. Typically, I do "that" with most everything. I'm a thread stripper.

Looks: The 4" rolled polished stainless steel tips look incredible. I ordered the GTAP which included the SS tips. The Flows dwarf the factory tips. They fill in the cut-outs perfectly. The rear of the vehicle looks much meaner.

Comparisons: Cost was never a factor. If I thought that I wanted Corsas, I would have purchased them. I admit, I was really considering FRPP(Borlas), but the "phenomena"(drone) spooked me. They may even be better. I don't know. But after months of research, I am very happy with my decision.

Conclusion: Flowmasters ROCK!
Old 8/27/06, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I definatley agree to me they are just right. I tried Pypes Violators but I did not like their sound at WOT. I always ran Flowmasters on other cars I had. Since installing the Flows I have put on an Airaid CAI and the car is even much louder now. I noticed the other night while cruising on the highway that with the stock mufflers I would have to keep the stereo low to hear the exhaust sound but not anymore you now have the best of both worlds good tunes and the sound of the awesome exhaust blending together.
Old 8/27/06, 09:37 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice, glad you like them. The flows were my first exhaust, they have a really nice tone to them. I got the frpp/ borlas on now, they sound absolutely amazing too.
Old 8/27/06, 11:18 AM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You made a wise decision buying the saddle style exhaust clamps. I had to crawl back under my car and install those because the ones supplied were crap.

They do sound nice; I still get complements on the sound.
Old 8/28/06, 10:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

I agree about the tone, I really like the sound! I only had 2 comlaints. It's not quite as loud as I wanted (I remember flowmaster 40's being a bit louder than these on my previous vehicles) and the rolled tips, I didn't like. I had a shop weld on my stock tips inplace of the chrome rolled tips, looks much better IMO, but thats purely a personal opinion (as are the like or dislike of the tone or volume!)

I'm going to try an catted X pipe to replace the stock cats and H pipe to see if the sound gets any louder, hopfully with out changing the nice tone to much.
Old 8/28/06, 01:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Word up, love my flowmasters. Once i fixed my assinine clamping job they've been perfect.