GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Flowmaster Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/06, 05:50 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flowmaster Install Question

I just got my Flowmasters and installed them last night and have a question. The left side exit pipe (looking at rear of car) looks fine centered with the rear bumper panel exhaust cut-out with equal clearances around the sides and the muffler looks level. It didn't take much time or adjustment to get it good.
But the right side seems to be a little low and to the right and even the muffler itself seems to be tilted slightly and not perfectly level. I loosened up the brackets and the muffler clamp but it doesn't seem to want to move in the direction I need it to. Actually it seems tighter on the right pipe then the left pipe. I also noticed there is a protrusion/bump on the stock pipe end that seems to line up with a notch on the end of the Flowmaster pipe. I assume this is for alignment purposes and maybe that's why I can seem to twist the muffler in the direction I need because the bump on the pipe is against one side of the notch.
If you have Flowmasters and had this or a similar problem what was the easiest way to adjust so they sit level and centered with the back bumper panel exhaust cut out? Right now they're on fine and don't rattle or leak but it bugs me a little that the right side isn't sitting quite right.
Thanks in advance...
Old 7/26/06, 06:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by blaster
I just got my Flowmasters and installed them last night and have a question. The left side exit pipe (looking at rear of car) looks fine centered with the rear bumper panel exhaust cut-out with equal clearances around the sides and the muffler looks level. It didn't take much time or adjustment to get it good.
But the right side seems to be a little low and to the right and even the muffler itself seems to be tilted slightly and not perfectly level. I loosened up the brackets and the muffler clamp but it doesn't seem to want to move in the direction I need it to. Actually it seems tighter on the right pipe then the left pipe. I also noticed there is a protrusion/bump on the stock pipe end that seems to line up with a notch on the end of the Flowmaster pipe. I assume this is for alignment purposes and maybe that's why I can seem to twist the muffler in the direction I need because the bump on the pipe is against one side of the notch.
If you have Flowmasters and had this or a similar problem what was the easiest way to adjust so they sit level and centered with the back bumper panel exhaust cut out? Right now they're on fine and don't rattle or leak but it bugs me a little that the right side isn't sitting quite right.
Thanks in advance...
Loosen the clamp at the over-axle pipe/muffler connection, then loosen the clamps near the H-Pipe (toward the front of the car). When you loosen the H-Pipe clamps you will see the exhaust move a little. Now go check your exhaust tip alignment. If it is centered go tighten the H-Pipe clamps then the over-axle clamps in that order. If they don't center on their own have a friend hold them in position while you tighten the clamps.
The over-axle clamps should be tightened as tight as you can get them.
I have a MSWORD file write up on this if you want me to send it to you.
Old 7/26/06, 09:21 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
Loosen the clamp at the over-axle pipe/muffler connection, then loosen the clamps near the H-Pipe (toward the front of the car). When you loosen the H-Pipe clamps you will see the exhaust move a little. Now go check your exhaust tip alignment. If it is centered go tighten the H-Pipe clamps then the over-axle clamps in that order. If they don't center on their own have a friend hold them in position while you tighten the clamps.
The over-axle clamps should be tightened as tight as you can get them.
I have a MSWORD file write up on this if you want me to send it to you.
Thanks, I think that's good enough info and I shouldn't need the MsWord doc. I'll try it this weekend. Thanks again...
Old 7/28/06, 06:40 PM

I put MACs on mine, but did the same procedure, and it worked fine. Looks great!