GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FLOWMASTER

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/06, 11:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by scramblr
Ditto on the drone under load in 4th and 5th, but that's what down shifting is for. I just put in the C&L CAI with XCAL 2 at lunch today and let me tell you, the sound definately got deeper and just a bit louder. Flows had a nice growl before and now it just got better.
I have the same setup as scramblr - ditto on the drone under load. Definitely manageable. The drone isn't all that loud that it gets offensive, and it's only under load. You just downshift to get out of it. Love these mufflers and see no need to get anything else.

My only advice that I can offer is that if you get Flowmasters, THROW AWAY THE CHEEP CLAMPS and get something else. Do NOT use them!!!

My Flowmasters have a rattle that keeps returning, and when I check it's ALWAYS the crap clamps that are loose and rattling. One of these days soon I will pull the mufflers and replace the clamps with something that actually WORKS.
Old 9/19/06, 12:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I'm gonna go with the Flowmasters myself.
Old 9/19/06, 05:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrkabc
I have the same setup as scramblr - ditto on the drone under load. Definitely manageable. The drone isn't all that loud that it gets offensive, and it's only under load. You just downshift to get out of it. Love these mufflers and see no need to get anything else.

My only advice that I can offer is that if you get Flowmasters, THROW AWAY THE CHEEP CLAMPS and get something else. Do NOT use them!!!

My Flowmasters have a rattle that keeps returning, and when I check it's ALWAYS the crap clamps that are loose and rattling. One of these days soon I will pull the mufflers and replace the clamps with something that actually WORKS.
$3.00 for a set saddle clamps will solve your problem. You wont even have to remove you mufflers. Just slip over and torqe down.
Old 9/19/06, 08:15 PM
V6 Member

I put my flowmasters on Friday, put about 600 miles on them over the weekend. I love the way they sound!
Old 9/20/06, 07:41 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't get to much of anything when I had them.
Old 9/22/06, 09:35 AM

I have a brand new set in the box for a GT if anyone wants them. $250 shipped.
Old 9/22/06, 11:49 AM
Bullitt Member

There is a picture on one of these Mustang Forums somewhere showing how to use the Flowmaster provided clamps to avoid the clamp rattle. I used this method on the driver's side muffler when it started to rattle 4 weeks ago and it has been fine since. The passener side muffler was not rattling so I left it alone with the clamp in the stock location.

Basically, make sure that you straddle the stock locator button with the two banded Flowmaster clamp. You might also spray a little lube (like WD-40) on the threads so you can get them crimped down a little tighter.

Or weld them on...
Old 9/25/06, 09:07 AM
GT Member

What, no love for MAC?

Listen to the clips at www.brenspeed.com
Old 9/25/06, 09:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

All of them have drone, if you say no, you just dont know what your listening to or you downshift before you get in the RPM range.
Old 9/25/06, 12:27 PM

I have the FFRP 5230 GTAs on my Gt and there is ZERO drone. They are are very throaty sounding but not much louder that the stock manual GT mufflers.

I have the magnaflows on my Wifes V-6 and they are slightly louder but different sounding, not so throaty soundy but very deep. Very little to no drone.
Old 9/25/06, 12:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mot250
There is a picture on one of these Mustang Forums somewhere showing how to use the Flowmaster provided clamps to avoid the clamp rattle. I used this method on the driver's side muffler when it started to rattle 4 weeks ago and it has been fine since. The passener side muffler was not rattling so I left it alone with the clamp in the stock location.

Basically, make sure that you straddle the stock locator button with the two banded Flowmaster clamp. You might also spray a little lube (like WD-40) on the threads so you can get them crimped down a little tighter.

Or weld them on...
Thanks mot250, I did install mine that way, and they STILL freaking rattle. All was fine for about three weeks, and now I'm starting to hear the rattle again. It's definitely not the muffler internals, I changed mine last year for the newer design without the bad welds. Also, right after tightening the clamps I get no rattle.

I've had it - going to pull those idiot Flowmaster clamps and get some real ones ASAP.
Old 9/26/06, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

gotta tighten the ever living heck out of those flowmaster clamps or yeah get some good clamps. Since I retightened mine a month or so ago I've had not a slight bit of problem, been great. Love my flows!
Old 9/28/06, 08:10 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks mot250, I did install mine that way, and they STILL freaking rattle. All was fine for about three weeks, and now I'm starting to hear the rattle again. It's definitely not the muffler internals, I changed mine last year for the newer design without the bad welds. Also, right after tightening the clamps I get no rattle.

I've had it - going to pull those idiot Flowmaster clamps and get some real ones ASAP.
I say again... Buy a cheap set of saddle clamps. A U-bolt with 2 nuts will provide more torque than 1...
Old 9/28/06, 12:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cowtown
gotta tighten the ever living heck out of those flowmaster clamps or yeah get some good clamps. Since I retightened mine a month or so ago I've had not a slight bit of problem, been great. Love my flows!
This is where the WD 40 come in... I was able to get the nut on an additional 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. But then I was just being too cheap to source a better clamp if I could force these to work...
Old 10/3/06, 07:30 PM
Bullitt Member

A little antisieze on the threads works best. Double up on the washer (use thick ones) and Torque to 35-40lbs. And like mot 250 said, straddle the "nub" on the stock exhaust pipe. You won't have any more clamp problems.