GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

First time at the Dragstrip....

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/05, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the track by me, Moroso, the clock doesn't start until you go, so let the light go, and not let it rush you. Your reaction times will obviously be crap, but who cares, just go for the best 1/4 time. A lot of people get the pressure from having to time the light perfectly, working sooooo hard for that reaction time, then screw up the run because they weren't ready.
[/quote]
What are you driving out at Moroso?

EDIT: Sorry, I should have PM's him
Old 2/27/05, 04:02 PM
V6 Member

I have never run before. Too scared off all the people watching. When my cojones get a little bigger, I will take my Porsche 914 out that has a 911 motor in it though.
Old 2/27/05, 04:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Im pretty sure firebird raceway works the same way, u can have a 4 second reaction time, and still pull a 15sec ÂĽ mile. If its not that way, then i really need to work on my .780 reaction times :bang:
Old 2/27/05, 04:23 PM

That's the great thing about racing, no matter what track you're at! It doesn't matter what you run, or how you run. Everyone there is there to have fun. EVERYONE had their first runs at the track at some point in time. Don't worry what other's think. Just race your car.
Old 2/27/05, 06:49 PM
V6 Member

Heh, I sit in the stands, I hear the frigin criticism from the people. They don't hold back on anyone.
Old 2/27/05, 07:08 PM

The best part about that is that while your sitting up there, I'm in my car enjoying myself and not having a care about what the bleacher racers are saying.

EDIT: My point is not to worry about what others are saying up there.

P.S. What are they saying up there while I'm running?
Old 2/27/05, 07:22 PM

Justin, I forgot to mention...I've messed around with my tire pressures also. 15psi, 25psi and stock 36psi. What I've noticed, is that at the lower the tire pressure, the slower I went. I ran my best times 13.1 @ 36 psi. I don't know why or how, maybe coincidence. I know logically, if the tires are smaller (by less psi), the less the wheel will travel under the same rpm's of the motor. The whole idea of the less psi is to get more rubber on the track to hook better and lower your 60'. That wasn't the case for me. I'm figuring that with stock tires, 1.8 is the best I'm going to get. It all just felt perfect. Besides, it's a pain waiting in line to fill the tires back up when the night is over.
Old 2/27/05, 07:55 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by 169stang@February 27, 2005, 9:11 PM
The best part about that is that while your sitting up there, I'm in my car enjoying myself and not having a care about what the bleacher racers are saying.

EDIT: My point is not to worry about what others are saying up there.

P.S. What are they saying up there while I'm running?
I will letcha know next time I go. I'm not hanging out with the group of people that I normally went with anymore, too much drama there.
Old 2/27/05, 08:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I hope that you liked the track enough to stop racing on the street.
Old 2/27/05, 08:59 PM
Cobra R Member

When i went, i let my friend run it, and people in the crowd were goin "I thought that thing was suppose to be fast" lol. Even though we were getting shizzy et's, we were beating most the cars we were up against, the track was horrible, and it was showing for everyone.
Old 2/27/05, 09:36 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by MustangDan@February 27, 2005, 10:43 PM
At the very least, I am not one of the people that are going to the street racing events where all the rice boys and what not hang out and close down the streets. It is usually when the dude in the M3 or LS1 Vette is creeping that it happens. And usually it is over before 50, one way or the other.

I'm not doing 100 down streets inside of the city. I will seldom open it up past 70 in a 50.

And occasionally you run into someone on the highway, although if it's not late at night with little traffic, I'm not going for it.

Bad justification, but at least I'm not like most of the other people on the street.

I think that most of the people I have raced on the street wouldn't consider it a street race, more a display of power, etc. Typical 40 year-old males.

Still wrong, but I wanted to at least clarify.

And I too hope I will like the track.
Old 2/28/05, 07:34 AM

Justin, I would suggest just as a trial method since you are new to the strip and using street tires, leave the line at near idle. Maybe just a throttle tap prior to launch just as you would leaving a street light in normal driving. This will give you a baseline for what your car will do without spinning the tires. Now, this will be less impressive to those watching you but I bet you will be surprised when you see your ET. This method worked for me and my wife thanks to my father's help (Raced Nitro-Harley for 15 years). We dropped 2 tenths of a second off of an 02 GT doing this. You will be able to eventually improve your ET with a more radical launch but you must know what the car will do leaving the line at varying RPMs and near idle will eliminate time costly tire spinning. If you are new to racing the tire/clutch frying launches will be awesome to watch but won't give you the learning curve you need to understand your car and driving style.

P.S. Make sure that you are avoiding (driving around) the water box prior to the burnout. This keeps water from getting into your tread and leaking down to the ground at the starting line leaving you in a small puddle of inconsistency. No need for a big tire smoking burnout either, just rev it up enough to spin them over a few times to clean them off. Tire temps do increase with a burnout but temp checkers have found that street tires return to normal operating temp before you even get to the staging beams.
Old 2/28/05, 03:40 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Very informative Derek
Old 2/28/05, 04:57 PM
Cobra Member

Thank's again David, Derek, and everyone ! These are the tip's I have put together so far for next time:

1: Establish a baseline, starting at lower RPM's 1k, then work my way up.
2: Practice clutching technique off the line.
3: Avoid the water box.
4: Leave tire preasure at 36 psi, to avoid two many variables.
5: Don't sweat the light, E/T is more important than R/T.
6: Shift at higher RPM's, 6200-6300.
7: Take note's on each run, pay attention to launch RPM's and resulting E/T's.
8: Have friend record run's, so I can examine them.
9: Have FUN!!!!

My BMR lower control arm's will be installed before the next race. They also have test and tunes on wednesday's, that might be less hectic and aid in my practice/learning. IMO people in the stand's can say what they want, there in the stand's who gives a rat's hieny what they think. These tip's should yield much better result's and a foundation for me to improve on! Thank's again!!
Old 2/28/05, 05:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by MustangDan@February 27, 2005, 9:43 PM
We'll see! Muhahaha