GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

First time at the Dragstrip....

Search this Thread

Old 2/26/05, 02:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, here I go. I've street raced since I've been driving. Right or wrong, I've been successful on the street's. I've never had the hottest set-up's or the baddest wheel's, but more the will and heart to win. I've been in car's that had no business winning, and some how be it determination or even sheer luck, I have landed on my feet. For me, there's nothing like pulling up to a stop light to find a "willing" opponent ready to go. The adrenaline pumping as you survey the area for the law, and any other obstacle's. Watching the opposite lane stop light's, "staging" your car for the green light. There you are, in defiance of "man's" law, just you and your machine as one, with the soul purpose of defeating your oponent. I do not race in neighborhood's, or in front of school's, or where kid's gather. I apply common sense, and street "etiquette" in my racing addiction. Just a little back ground, so you know where I'm coming from. With all that said.....

This was my first time at a legal strip. It's the "Strip" at Las Vegas Motorspeedway.
I must say it was a blast!! It was very crowded as it was opening night for the "Midnight Mayhem" run what you brung series. There had to be 800-1000+ racer's ready and dieing to run the track. It was very hectic and chaotic, people going every which way, not knowig where to go. I can see that sucsess lie's within your "staging" procedure's. They herd you up to the staging area and rush you through to the line, and there really isn't a "line" sotra speak, more like a guy hand signaling you meanwhile your light is signaling down to green. New to this year is a stoplight set-up that replaces the traditional "tree". So it goes red, yellow, green, go...With all that it was still real fun and I'm hooked for sure. I'm going to practice, practice, practice till I get it right!

The first slip is my first run, second slip, second run. I am #164, first oponent was some sort of Honda, second was a 60's Dodge Dart Moded up hot.Any analysis and tip's would be greatly appreciated! BTW: I learned alot from this site and was more well prepared than I would have been other wise! Thank's guy's! :worship:
Old 2/26/05, 02:55 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At least your times look consistent. I have not been to a track yet but I know launch is everything.

Congrats
Old 2/26/05, 03:03 PM
Bullitt Member

im a old street racer too,and it takes a lot of practise to get some of the times guys are getting on this board.Your right,its all in the start.
Old 2/26/05, 03:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Glad to hear you had a good time at the track!

Looking at your 60' times were you getting a lot of wheel spin off the line? With those mods and a reported 300+ rwhp I'd think you'd be further into the 13's if not high 12's. Did your shifts go well? Were you hammering it?
Old 2/26/05, 03:47 PM
Cobra Member

Yes, I was spinning alot at launch. I was trying to hold at 3k rpm's, then dump the clutch. I was having a hard time catching the light's right. I was powershifting right at 6 grand and chirped the 1-2 shirt on the second run. I need to work on heating my tires up, and adjusting the tire pressure, I think? The car is definatley alot faster than my ability's at the moment.
Old 2/26/05, 04:05 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Vegasjay@February 26, 2005, 4:50 PM
Yes, I was spinning alot at launch. I was trying to hold at 3k rpm's, then dump the clutch. I was having a hard time catching the light's right. I was powershifting right at 6 grand and chirped the 1-2 shirt on the second run. I need to work on heating my tires up, and adjusting the tire pressure, I think? The car is definatley alot faster than my ability's at the moment.
Heating up those tires are not really going to help you. They are a harder compound then a true race tire. You best 60' will come from a true drag tire like the et street or drag radial. All out racing requires a slick. It's hit or miss with the stock factory or most daily driven street tire. You lost 3 tenths to the 60' but ran 22 mph out the back door. With your mods you should run about 106mph. Good luck. It will come with practice. Just my 2 cents.
Old 2/26/05, 04:16 PM
GT Member

Those times look good for a first run. Obviously the key is getting that 2.2 60ft time down under 2 and you are in business. Maybe lose a little pressure and slip the clutch instead of just dumping it.
Old 2/26/05, 04:23 PM
Cobra Member

A tire change is planed for sure. I would like a good all around set of performance tires. I don't want to limit my self to just drag racing. I guess I'm going to have to invest in a set of drag tires, just for going to the strip. I want to race in road course's also. Thank's for the tip's guy's! I think your right with slipping the clutch, on the street dumping the clutch launches better, but at the track, not so good. Black Magic, how did you come up with the 22 mph .I'm new to this and would like to know how to make certain calculation's.
Old 2/26/05, 04:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Those are great times for your first time out Now you see how good 169stang is doing when he cuts 1.8's with the stock tires. Keep practicing!

The Boss Hog
Old 2/26/05, 04:40 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by The Boss Hog@February 26, 2005, 5:34 PM
Those are great times for your first time out Now you see how good 169stang is doing when he cuts 1.8's with the stock tires. Keep practicing!

The Boss Hog
Thank's 169stang is my hero! :worship: I have gained alot of respect for those puting down good times.

If you guy's that have track smart's could go through the launch in detail. Mechanical, and technique wise, that would be awsome!
Old 2/26/05, 05:33 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Vegasjay@February 26, 2005, 5:26 PM
A tire change is planed for sure. I would like a good all around set of performance tires. I don't want to limit my self to just drag racing. I guess I'm going to have to invest in a set of drag tires, just for going to the strip. I want to race in road course's also. Thank's for the tip's guy's! I think your right with slipping the clutch, on the street dumping the clutch launches better, but at the track, not so good. Black Magic, how did you come up with the 22 mph .I'm new to this and would like to know how to make certain calculation's.
Vegas, the 22 mph out the back door is 1/4 mile mph - 1/8th mile mph. That can tell you down the road if there is a problem with your car's performance. You can see if you have a problem from the start or at the end. Some old school math varies from car to car (power adders make a difference here) but for this level here is a simple rule for most of us. Take your 330' et and x it by 1.555 = your 18/th mile et. Take your 1/8th mile et x 1.555 = your quarter mile time. That is a pretty good formula for et's. Yours will not match this math because of the 60' and spinning. But you can see by the math that you beat the formula each time, meaning you are gaing speed at every stage down the track. Example:When 169stang hooked pretty well (1.88 60') on 1 of his passes he had a 5.43 330' time. Take 5.43 x 1.555 = 8.44 1/8th et. He actually ran 8.43. See who close it is IF you hook well. His 8.43 1/8th et x 1.555 = 13.10. He ran a 13.14 on that pass for the 1/4. Which shows a little loss in accerlation. Stronger outlaw cars will beat this math and will use a x 1.54 formula. Anyway you can also track your performance by who fast your run from the 1/8th to the quarter. Take your 1/4 et - your 1000' time and will show you something like 2.15 secs etc. Then you can see if mods have helped your top end charge. Just something to mess with. Enjoy.
Old 2/26/05, 05:50 PM

Justin, I could barely read your slip. Are you on stock tires? Sorry, I didn't do a search for your mods to see what shoes you have.
Dumping the clutch only gets you 2.1's or 2.2's. I figured that out after about 2 runs. I then went by method of foundation work. I started out by not reving at the line and working on the clutching, due to lack of tires to hook. If you had some sort of slick on there...dump away. I then began revving at 2000 rpm and now I'm at 4500 rpm. 5000 rpm is too much and the tires would always break loose. I began to get a consistant clutching method.
I disagree with heating the tires does no good. It does help. When you heat the tires and run, then pull around back in line and everything is stuck to your tire...that alone says something. My 60' times got better with heating. The other night, I started shifting at 6000-6300 rpm and I got a higher mph. I actually hit 106 mph on one run with a 60' of 1.99. This means it was still pulling at that rpm. It took me about 8 trips to the track with maybe a total of 20 or 24 runs. I didn't notice control arms with your mods. Have you experienced wheel hop. If so, shut her down or you could be creating potential damage. They aren't expensive and will remove the wheel hop. I finally received my wheels and am waiting on my slicks. Can't wait. Congrats on the times! You're off to a great start and will be getting those times down with seat time. Just try to remember what you do different each time and analyze it, you'll get a technique and will definately be in the 12's.
Old 2/26/05, 06:17 PM
Cobra Member

Thank you guy's very much! Black Magic that formula is great and just what I was looking for! 169stang my tires are stock, and I did get some wheel hop. Not to bad but I did order the BMR lower control arms today.I'll work on my clutching technique, and try shifting at higher rpm's. I really appreciate the help, it help's point me in the right direction! I can't wait to see your #'s w/slick's!!
Old 2/26/05, 06:29 PM

Me too! I'm back to the drawing board since I changed my gears. I will have to learn again once I get the slicks. I think the weak point in the car will eventually be the drive shaft. I'll address that when it breaks.
Old 2/26/05, 06:44 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Vegasjay@February 26, 2005, 7:20 PM
Thank you guy's very much! Black Magic that formula is great and just what I was looking for! 169stang my tires are stock, and I did get some wheel hop. Not to bad but I did order the BMR lower control arms today.I'll work on my clutching technique, and try shifting at higher rpm's. I really appreciate the help, it help's point me in the right direction! I can't wait to see your #'s w/slick's!!
Your welcome. A lot of us have good points. When I ran stock tires I tried to stay out of the water box. Water, no matter how long you burn them down will remain between the treads then leak out on the starting line. And I always do atleast a dry hop or quick spin to clean the tires before I run. Anyway great times for your first time out. Good luck, take notes, even have someone cam cord you can help.
Old 2/26/05, 10:56 PM
V6 Member

All of my friends that "street race" have trouble at the track. It seems like the fact that you are running for your best time, and not actually racing somebody seems to make them stink. You just aren't all there like you are on a street race. I have not been to the track to race before, and not sure if I ever will. I'd rather find a nice road, late at night, and use a G-tech. I know, it's not that accurate, but whatever. I don't like the pressure associated with 400 people watching you race someone. Maybe an automatic, but not a stick.
Old 2/26/05, 11:02 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Keep it up Vegas. :drive:
I too am a virgin at the drag strip.
Thanks for asking these questions, as it gives me some pointers.

Thanks too everyone for their input. I am finding it very helpful. :worship:
Old 2/27/05, 02:51 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by iiibdsiil@February 26, 2005, 11:59 PM
All of my friends that "street race" have trouble at the track. It seems like the fact that you are running for your best time, and not actually racing somebody seems to make them stink. You just aren't all there like you are on a street race. I have not been to the track to race before, and not sure if I ever will. I'd rather find a nice road, late at night, and use a G-tech. I know, it's not that accurate, but whatever. I don't like the pressure associated with 400 people watching you race someone. Maybe an automatic, but not a stick.
I see what your saying. For me personally, the crowd doesn't bother me. It actualy put's back some of the adrenalin that street racing offers. My biggest obstacale is the staging/launching procedures. In a street race it seems to me that you have more time to get your stuff right. If I can get the staging/launching down, I'll be set. Once I get past the launch I'm o.k., because instinct kick's in and I pull through the gears hard and consistant. I also find late night practice run's to be a blast, and rather relaxing for me.
Old 2/27/05, 03:28 PM

My first few times at the tree, my adrenaline was pumping. I was so concerned about getting beat and was worried about the 400 people watching. My next run, I just zoned out, concentrated on what I did before and what I was going to do this time. I didn't even look at the car I was racing, because I didn't want that to have any bearing on my technique improvement. After a few trips to the track, and maybe 18 passes, I would be in a zone when I pull up to the staging area. I usually would have the radio on and window down when doing my burnout. Roll up the window, roll up to the line, and get on it. Now, occasionally, I will glance over to the car I'm up against and use it for pumping me up as opposed to nervousness. I know this may sound really silly, but this is me, while at the track, inside my head. Scary place!
Old 2/27/05, 03:36 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Vegasjay@February 27, 2005, 4:54 PM
I see what your saying. For me personally, the crowd doesn't bother me. It actualy put's back some of the adrenalin that street racing offers. My biggest obstacale is the staging/launching procedures. In a street race it seems to me that you have more time to get your stuff right. If I can get the staging/launching down, I'll be set. Once I get past the launch I'm o.k., because instinct kick's in and I pull through the gears hard and consistant. I also find late night practice run's to be a blast, and rather relaxing for me.
At the track by me, Moroso, the clock doesn't start until you go, so let the light go, and not let it rush you. Your reaction times will obviously be crap, but who cares, just go for the best 1/4 time. A lot of people get the pressure from having to time the light perfectly, working sooooo hard for that reaction time, then screw up the run because they weren't ready.

Quick Reply: First time at the Dragstrip....