GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

First Post! FR CAI and tune or Bamachips?

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/07, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Post! FR CAI and tune or Bamachips?

Hello everyone. I am a long time lurker and I've finally decided to post. I've gotten quite an education on the Mustang while browsing these forums for the past month or so.

My wife decided that she wanted a Vista Blue Cali Special Mustang GT (auto) a while back, so we've been doing our research. We decided since it was this late in the year to go ahead and wait for the '08's to come out. However, we might go ahead and get an '07 due to a great deal. Either way, we will have to order the car, since there are no more Vista Blue GT/CS's with our wishlist of options available. We're anxiously awaiting the '08 order guide before making a decision.

I want to add a few "upgrades" to the car (still convincing my wife that it's necessary). Went to a dealership yesterday and spoke with a manager who seemed to be very mod-friendly, however he kept trying to get me to buy the FRPP accessories, since they would be covered by the warranty. However, after reading this forum (and few others), I am SOLD on Bamachips. My question is:

Should we buy the FR CAI and tune (or maybe even the "drag pack") or should I risk warranty issues and get the much-hyped Bamachips JLT II and SCT tuner combo? Is the difference worth the risk?

Thanks guys!
Old 4/15/07, 10:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Bama tune hands down! No risk involved. You will not be sorry.
Old 4/15/07, 10:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Go Brenspeed or Bama...... don't go FR. Brenspeed has really started to come into their own this past year, with having a new shop location, inhouse dyno, and three shop cars ('05,'06,'07) that they install and test each item that they sell/install.
Old 4/15/07, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

That is another great option. I dont see Brenspeed much on this board but Brent is also very good at tuning.
Old 4/15/07, 02:27 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,796 Posts
Chris, I don't know if your aware of this or not ? but the Ford racing CAI is designed by Steeda as a direct result of their partnership in Ford's technology transfer program..Therefore both the Steeda and FR CAI are one in the same and will not void your factory warranty coverage..However the FRPP programmer is nothing more than a single preloaded tune file which is calibrated for only the CAI and 91-93 octane fuel that provides just a slight improvement over your stock program files..As a matter of fact the programmer does nothing to improve your throttle response associated with that dreaded factory throttle lag nor includes an end user adjustability option to select from in case you want to make changes to any of the parameters and should you decide to add more mods in the future ? the FR programmer is once again completely worthless..That being said, I would highly recommend purchasing the Steeda/FRPP CAI along with the SCT X-CAL II programmer and tunes from Brenspeed as a combo or you could just purchase the CAI from Brenspeed and then get your X-CAL II programmer with custom tunes from Bamachips.. Either way ! you definitely won't end up disappointed...
Old 4/15/07, 06:28 PM
Bullitt Member

I was thinking about this also.... i saw that my dealership has a FRPP CAI....I presumed that when they installed it they would have to tune the car to it. But From what I am reading this CAI/Factory tune is not any good?
Old 4/17/07, 02:32 AM
V6 Member

I absolutely love my JLT2 CAI and 91 Race tune from Bamachips. Everytime I punch it the smile just spreads ear to ear.
Old 4/17/07, 06:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Little to no reason to go with FRPP. My car has run perfect with the Brenspeed SCT2 tunes and C&L's racer CAI.

You should have no concern w/ warranty work. Although I haven't taken my stang back to the dealership since I picked it up Jan '05. Emissions testing required a swap back to stock to retune and get all the sensors working again, but that's a 15 min job. Don't know about your area, but you should have to worry about that for some years.
Old 4/17/07, 07:33 AM
Bullitt Member

SO the FRPP Tune/CAI is no where as good as a package as one from Bamachips, Tillmanspped, or Brenspeed, etc.???? And is there any difference between these tuners that makes one Tune better than another? I have read over and over they are all credible, but didnt know if there was a difference?
Old 4/17/07, 07:51 AM
GT Member

I have the BamaChips 93 Race tune with the C&L Racer intake and I love it!
Old 4/17/07, 10:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tampa07GTCS
SO the FRPP Tune/CAI is no where as good as a package as one from Bamachips, Tillmanspped, or Brenspeed, etc.???? And is there any difference between these tuners that makes one Tune better than another? I have read over and over they are all credible, but didnt know if there was a difference?
That is correct. It is much more conservative than any of the other three you mentioned. It also has no user adjust ability. If you change gears, get different size tires/wheels or put am o/r pipe on you can not make the adjustments needed. With a different tuner you have that ability.
Old 4/17/07, 10:58 AM
V6 Member

Bamachips + JLT = new car
Old 4/17/07, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Anyone know the Phone number to Bamachips???
Old 4/17/07, 11:43 AM
Bullitt Member

yeah its listed in the contact us part of the website??

http://www.bamachips.com/store/index...e2cd61441c119c
Old 4/17/07, 05:29 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,796 Posts
Originally Posted by Tampa07GTCS
Only the FRPP tuner/programmer is what you want to stay away from..However the FRPP cold air intake is designed by Steeda and is just as good as the C&L and JLT in which you can purchase both the Steeda CAI and SCT X-CAL II programmer with custom tunes as a combo from Brenspeed for $624.00