GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

First post..and a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/05, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just want to say that this forum is my favourite, have been lurking for a while and thought I could get some opinions.

Now I know that an axle-back does not requirer a tune. I want to get the Bassani axle back.

I also know that the K&N Aircharger requires not tune. I am getting that too.

Steeda pullies require no tune. That is also on my list.

I reckon that these three could possibly give me anywhere from 20-25 rwhp, which is nice. My only concern is that all three of these done together may require a tune. Would that be the case or would it still be fine without a tune?

I am not comfortable with doing a tune, for whatever reason. I think it has been ingrained in my head all the headaches dealers may give with a reflash, even though they are suppoed to be undetectable...part of me is still skeptical. heck, my dealer broke my nuts on lowering my car and almost giving me a hard time fixing a rattle because they suspect that the rattle would have never materialized without the firmer springs!

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Old 7/14/05, 09:23 AM
Bullitt Member

I think it has been ingrained in my head all the headaches dealers may give with a reflash, even though they are suppoed to be undetectable...part of me is still skeptical
First welcome to the forum Dino I share your skepticism. But you can always reflash the car to the stock settings, right. My 2 cents
Old 7/14/05, 09:34 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by coladin@July 14, 2005, 9:20 AM
Just want to say that this forum is my favourite, have been lurking for a while and thought I could get some opinions.

Now I know that an axle-back does not requirer a tune. I want to get the Bassani axle back.

I reckon that these three could possibly give me anywhere from 20-25 rwhp, which is nice. My only concern is that all three of these done together may require a tune. Would that be the case or would it still be fine without a tune?

I am not comfortable with doing a tune, for whatever reason. I think it has been ingrained in my head all the headaches dealers may give with a reflash, even though they are suppoed to be undetectable...part of me is still skeptical. heck, my dealer broke my nuts on lowering my car and almost giving me a hard time fixing a rattle because they suspect that the rattle would have never materialized without the firmer springs!

Hi and welcome abord.
First off, hate to burst your bubble, but I doubt you are going to get the horse power gains you are hoping for with the list you have. The axle backs are going to just be a couple of ponies at best. The underdrive pulleys, maybe another 5 to 7. The air charger is not going to make up the difference. Power is going to come from a tune, period. As for the combination of all three requiring a tune, I doubt it will "require" one, but it certainly won't hurt. As for your dealer being a ball buster about it. Well, some are, some aren't. Have any other dealers locally you could check out? If so, I recommend it. It is not worth them being richard heads over you changing out something that has nothing to do with whatever repair you need. And don't let them pull that "void your warranty" crap on you either.
Old 7/14/05, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by hawgman@July 14, 2005, 11:37 AM
Hi and welcome abord.
First off, hate to burst your bubble, but I doubt you are going to get the horse power gains you are hoping for with the list you have. The axle backs are going to just be a couple of ponies at best. The underdrive pulleys, maybe another 5 to 7. The air charger is not going to make up the difference. Power is going to come from a tune, period. As for the combination of all three requiring a tune, I doubt it will "require" one, but it certainly won't hurt. As for your dealer being a ball buster about it. Well, some are, some aren't. Have any other dealers locally you could check out? If so, I recommend it. It is not worth them being richard heads over you changing out something that has nothing to do with whatever repair you need. And don't let them pull that "void your warranty" crap on you either.

I think a guy from powersurgeperformance.net on stangnet said he dynoed the axle back Bassanis and got 4rwhp.

The K&N, I have seen anywhere from 15rwhp on thweir site to as lowas 10rwhp.

The pullies? Something around 5-7 rwhp.

I wonder if there may be a multiplier effect? Sometimes a CAI and axle back may gain more together or something like that.

I know the tune won't hurt, it is like a mental block that I have to get past. At some point.

Yeah, it will boil down to finding a good dealer. This dealer I have bought 4 Fords in the last 5 years (98 Contour V6, 99 Mustang GT, 2002 Explorer EB V8, 2005 Mustang GT), so I usually get top notch treatment. Some in service, though, hardly ever see me because I change them too often and rarely require anything other than oil and filter!
Old 7/14/05, 09:47 AM
Cobra Member

No, you're not going to get a multiplier affect out of the mods.
As for what K&N says on their site about their gains.....take that like you would any other person that is selling something and talking good about their product. And yes, I mean any other one, not ******* K&N at all. Just saying there are ALOT of aftermarket parts and pieces out there that claim big claims. But the reality of it is slightly different. I am sure that the K&N is a good solid +15hp with a tune. But I still don't buy it giving you that without one. And to the best of my knowledge I have not seen anyone support that number (without a tune) with dyno sheets yet either.
Old 7/14/05, 10:28 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by hawgman@July 14, 2005, 9:50 AM
No, you're not going to get a multiplier affect out of the mods.
As for what K&N says on their site about their gains.....take that like you would any other person that is selling something and talking good about their product. And yes, I mean any other one, not ******* K&N at all. Just saying there are ALOT of aftermarket parts and pieces out there that claim big claims. But the reality of it is slightly different. I am sure that the K&N is a good solid +15hp with a tune. But I still don't buy it giving you that without one. And to the best of my knowledge I have not seen anyone support that number (without a tune) with dyno sheets yet either.
I was skeptical too until my friend Michael (manystangs) saw a dyno, in person, of a stock black GT at 262 rwhp. They bolted on the K&N and an hour later, with no tune, they were getting 277 rwhp. There were no other mods. Now, whether this is typical or not, I do not know, but the gains K&N claims are clearly attainable without a tune.
Old 7/14/05, 11:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

I have the K&N, the Flowmasters, I have the JET Throttle BodySpacer coming 2morrow, going to install that and see what kind of gains I expect. I am going the same route as "coladin". Im taking safe measures for the vehicle for now, I will be purchasing Shorty Headers, Steeda Underdrive's and will be looking into the JET Module, rather than the SCT ro Diablo.

I have the K&N on the car right now, no tune, with hydrocarbon trap. Man does the car kick better than it did when I had the stock air box. K&N is not the only company that advertises 15-17 horse gains without a tune. MAC has the same thing with their kit and report 16.2 horses with their kit. If people are reporting the same results as I am with the K&N kit, whyy do you need the dyno sheets? K&N has been around for a long time and they make great parts for cars and they take the time to make their kits and to test them to insure accurate results. I don't need a dyno sheet to tell me that it gave me 15 horses, I can feel it when i hit that gas and it puts me into the seat more than it did with the stock airbox........so the answer to everyone's big skeptical view of the CAI for K&N and the MAC, YES!!!! You can achieve the results without a tune.......
Old 7/14/05, 02:23 PM
Cobra Member

I wish you would quit teasing us with that throttle body plate
Old 7/14/05, 04:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by hawgman@July 14, 2005, 4:26 PM
I wish you would quit teasing us with that throttle body plate

I cant help it, sorry. THROTTLE BODY SPACER WILL BE HERE 2MORROW, YAY!!! LOL!!! Felt the need to rub it in,
Old 7/15/05, 12:44 AM
Bullitt Member

I guess I just don't see it... where is the magic? where is the mis-direction??? Physics is physics... and if the computer sees too much air going in, it trips a CEL... who cares what sort of intake is installed?

If you install a C+L on an otherwise stock GT, you will get a CEL for Lean

If you install a K+N, (and nothing else!!) you won't?

The only reason would be because the K+N doesn't let as much air in as the C+L...

more air plus more gas = more bang... if you have more air and same gas = lean condition...

So without a tune, the K+N is better... with a tune, the C+L is better... and if you are planning on adding anything else... the C+L with tune is better..
Old 7/15/05, 08:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by coladin@July 14, 2005, 11:20 AM

Yeah I think you may see 20rwhp from the three mods listed without a tune. The tune does so much more for tha car and really adds value to any mods that such as those.