GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

First impressions of new Steeda suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/08, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First impressions of new Steeda suspension.

Great!!
I put Steeda Sport Springs, Steeda Pro Action Shocks and Heavy Duty Upper Strut Mounts in. Also added a BMR adjustable pan hard bar, Roush 18 x 10 wheels and 285/40-18 Kumho Ecsta MX tires all the way around. I drove around with just the wheels and tires for about a week. That alone made a huge difference over the stock 235/55-17s. Even with more rubber I still had a hard time not breaking the rear loose.

Then I had the rest of the stuff installed and had the car aligned according to Steeda's recommendations. Wow is the only word I have. The car sits perfect. Rides even better than stock. Only large bumps upset the car. I drove from Mississippi to New Orleans yesterday and what a difference on the highway. Had the car up to 135 and I could take my hands of the wheel. No drifting any more. Solid as can be. The only problem was coming into New Orleans. The roads here just suck. I had to drive around 40 mph on 10 because I was bottoming out the suspension.

It's easier to break the rear end loose now it seams. But when I break it loose the car doesn't seam to want to break loose and go to one side or the other. I can keep my foot in it and it will stay straight and it's so easy to put the car where you want it without loosing control. Also I haven't had any wheel hop at all. I am still going to install rear LCAs and UCA. Also going to install a BMR pan hard bar stiffener and whatever rear sway bar I come up with. Haven't done any research on that yet.

Have to give a shout out to Steeda. Got the springs and Upper Strut Mounts on sale. And I called them about 10 times asking questions and they took the time to explain alot of stuff to me. Great company.
Old 11/2/08, 08:09 PM
V6 Member

Have any pics?
Old 11/2/08, 09:26 PM

Not yet. My camera is back home and I'm out of town for work. I'll try to get some later this week.
Old 11/2/08, 11:09 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by chuckieduck
Not yet. My camera is back home and I'm out of town for work. I'll try to get some later this week.
Sounds good. I'm interested in a similar setup and would like to see how it sits. Thanks.
Old 11/2/08, 11:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the reason your rear is coming out so easy.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=5

Take it easy for a bit and your tires will last longer.
Old 11/2/08, 11:50 PM
Cobra Member

Ohh yea....Where are your pics!!!!!!
Old 11/9/08, 07:10 PM
V6 Member

Did you get a chance to take some pics?
Old 11/11/08, 01:40 PM
Cobra Member

Any additional updates?? Considering those sport springs and just want to ensure they don't have too much of an impact to drive-ability.
Old 11/11/08, 07:41 PM

I will try to get some pics in the morning. I just drove it from New Orleans to Chesapeake Va. and love the ride. In my opinion it rides so much better than stock. The bigger bumps really upset the car. I mean kidney jaring. If any of you have driven down Interstate 10 going into New Orleans knows what I mean. I love the way it drives. I would highly recommend this set up.
Old 11/12/08, 06:00 AM
Cobra Member

thanks for update. I stunbled on a killer deal for a new set of the Steeda sport shocks and although was not planning on doing any suspension upgrades right now, may snag them for a future project.
Old 11/13/08, 06:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
Stay away from the BMR front swaybar. Mine clunks and its driving me insane.
Old 11/14/08, 10:12 AM

Cavero,

If that's your car in your Avatar, then no wonder it clunks.

As far as my tires go, I have about 1,400 miles on them already from the drive back home. Still not enough traction. I can still lay two lines all the way through an intersection in second.

The weather here has sucked for the last couple days, but I will get some pics as soon as I can.

Last edited by chuckieduck; 11/14/08 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11/14/08, 12:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by chuckieduck
Cavero,

If that's your car in your Avatar, then no wonder it clunks.

As far as my tires go, I have about 1,400 miles on them already from the drive back home. Still not enough traction. I can still lay two lines all the way through an intersection in second.

The weather here has sucked for the last couple days, but I will get some pics as soon as I can.
LOL, no thats a screenshot from Gran Turismo 4 I took...
the problem with the BMR bar is that the end stops aren't set far enough apart so when the bar moves right they've got enough play to whack the sway bar mounts.

On those tires: I've got the Kumho Ecsta ASX all seasons (not sure what the difference between ASX and MX are). I know what you're talking about. Great grip but once you break em lose, they slide all day.
Old 11/14/08, 08:17 PM
Bullitt Member

I just got done installing Steeda Ultra-Lites , Steeda ProAction struts, and the Steeda heavy duty upper strut mount tonight. I have a FRPP front and rear sway bar sitting in the garage ready to go on as well but the wrong hardware came with it from a Granatelli sway bar so that will have to wait until I get the right stuff. I recently put on a BMR strut brace and the A-arm brace from FRPP too. I just got back from driving it and it is 100% better than it was. The only thing I am a little dissappointed in is that I thought it would sit lower. Maybe I just need to see it in the daytime. I also have a CHE adjustable panhard bar and panhard brace too. I can't wait to get the sway bars and panhard bars on and then dump the KDWS's for a set of Nitto's.
Old 11/14/08, 11:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
I just got done installing Steeda Ultra-Lites , Steeda ProAction struts, and the Steeda heavy duty upper strut mount tonight. I have a FRPP front and rear sway bar sitting in the garage ready to go on as well but the wrong hardware came with it from a Granatelli sway bar so that will have to wait until I get the right stuff. I recently put on a BMR strut brace and the A-arm brace from FRPP too. I just got back from driving it and it is 100% better than it was. The only thing I am a little dissappointed in is that I thought it would sit lower. Maybe I just need to see it in the daytime. I also have a CHE adjustable panhard bar and panhard brace too. I can't wait to get the sway bars and panhard bars on and then dump the KDWS's for a set of Nitto's.
Pics please... Sounds like you have all your sus. parts taken care of
Old 11/14/08, 11:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Anything in particular? I didn't take pics during the install, but I can shoot some after pics. I will be pulling off the tires when my panhard stuff comes in and I can shoot some spring pics if needed. The front spring install was a breeze. The rear took a bit longer to my surprise. The CHE anti-squat brackets were a bear to get lined up, but they are very beefy and it was worth it. I will have J&M LCA's, CHE brackets, Steeda springs and struts, Ford Racing sway bars, and soon CHE panhard bar and brace when it is all done.
Old 11/15/08, 09:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
The only thing I am a little dissappointed in is that I thought it would sit lower.
Its funny you should say that. I've always thought the same thing too but last night I parked next to someone's stock GT, and saw just how much of a drop it really was. The front..eh not so much but the rear was definitely at least 3 inches lower. Besides, the bonus of not doing an extreme drop is that curbs and speedbumps don't present any more of a threat than they did before.
Old 11/15/08, 01:04 PM
Bullitt Member

That is good to know. The next time I see a stock Mustang, I will go and park next to it for a comparison. I didn't want a radical drop anyway, but I guess I was expecting to be "wowed" by the drop when I finished. It definitely handles a lot better though.
Old 11/15/08, 01:45 PM
Cobra Member

please update your impressions of the Ultralites once you get them installed as I am debating between those and the Sport springs.
Old 11/15/08, 05:36 PM
Bullitt Member

My Ultralites are installed and my impression so far is that they are much stiffer than stock, but aren't teeth jarring. I took it out and did a whole bunch of quick hard right and lefts. Even with the stock sway bars, there is a significant decrease in roll with much sharper cuts. I haven't been on a rough road yet, so it remains to be seen how it will feel in that situation. On driveway bumps, speed bumps, and asphalt level changes you can feel them more, but it does not bottom out or rattle anything in the interior. If the sport springs are a lot stiffer than the Ultralites, I would be a bit worried about the ride being too harsh. I have a feeling once I get the FRPP sway bars and CHE panhard bars on, it will be even stiffer which is going to be just about right for me. I do have J&M LCA's which Chuckieduck does not have and that probably tightens up the rear end a bit. I think Chuckieduck will be even happier once he gets his LCA'a installed.

Last edited by 07 GT/CS; 11/15/08 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: First impressions of new Steeda suspension.