GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

The final say on a MSD Window Switch (good news nitrous guys)

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/06 | 02:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I've been working for the past few weeks on a solution to the window switch problem. I didn't want a big nitrous controller and I didn't want to break open my Zex nitrous control box. The trick is you must use a universal automotive relay to control the zex box with a window switch like MSD makes. Basicly I have the window switch and the relay set up to turn on when I flip my switch inside the car and when my set rpm is reached it turns on the zex box so I can begin spraying nitrous without accidentally spraying too low and pooling nitrous in the intake. The switch also turns off the zex box at a higher rpm so if you miss a shift you don't hit the rev limiter and hurt something.

Here is a (very) basic picture of the wiring schematic. I didn't use a seperate 12V source for the relay I just decided to hook it to the switch in the car.
Old 4/27/06 | 01:30 AM
Cobra Member

How did you come up with that wiring? I've posted this to you before but those relay points are backwards. Before you make a mistake and possibly screw things up I think you should take a look at this...

I should also add that spraying too low, under 3000rpm, and pooling the nitrous/fuel atomization isnt the issue, its too great of cylinder pressures that will do the engine in very easily.

Always keep it above 3000rpm for that reason alone.

-Dan
Old 4/27/06 | 05:54 AM

I kinda figured this would happen
Old 4/27/06 | 11:29 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(169stang @ April 27, 2006, 4:57 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I kinda figured this would happen
[/b][/quote]
I could build your entire nitrous electrical system and not have an issue in the long run. If I had a list of every wire from every component I could draw out a diagram that would work but the one I posted above is pretty much how you want to do things.

I hang out with others on Nitrous only message boards, you should take my niche advice cause its some of the best you'll find around here. Remember, calling Zex could get you some answers too.

-Dan
Old 4/27/06 | 12:31 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cleveland @ April 27, 2006, 11:32 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I could build your entire nitrous electrical system and not have an issue in the long run. If I had a list of every wire from every component I could draw out a diagram that would work but the one I posted above is pretty much how you want to do things.

I hang out with others on Nitrous only message boards, you should take my niche advice cause its some of the best you'll find around here. Remember, calling Zex could get you some answers too.

-Dan
[/b][/quote]

Dan I have the basic Zex kit, can you do up a drawing for me please? My wife who is a theatrical electrician was very impressed with your nicely done drawing by the way.
Old 4/27/06 | 02:49 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cleveland @ April 27, 2006, 1:32 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

-Dan
[/b][/quote]
I'm not doing anything with nitrous on this car. You're pretty direct and lack tact sometimes and when I read this thread, I was expecting you to reply just as you did. I can't say whether you or he are incorrect. But I did know that when he posted about the window switch wiring...and if it was against anything you've ever stated, his way would be wrong. One way or the other, my prediction was accurate. No big deal. It doesn't mean much of anything. I don't care who is correct or incorrect and don't dislike anyone for who they are or what they've stated.
Old 4/27/06 | 02:56 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cleveland @ April 27, 2006, 2:33 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
How did you come up with that wiring? I've posted this to you before but those relay points are backwards. Before you make a mistake and possibly screw things up I think you should take a look at this...

I should also add that spraying too low, under 3000rpm, and pooling the nitrous/fuel atomization isnt the issue, its too great of cylinder pressures that will do the engine in very easily.

Always keep it above 3000rpm for that reason alone.

-Dan
[/b][/quote]

Hey thanks for posting the same pic off LS1tech that everyone has. That schematic doesn't work with us for the Zex box for obvious reasons that I've already explained to you. Everything is inside the zex box and it's really irritating to have to take apart the nice little box just to get a window switch on there. My drawing was confirmed by a friend of mine who is a tech at one of the largest mercedes benz dealers in the country and the idea was confirmed by 4 seperate people who work with him. I'm sorry if I didn't do it exactly as you said. I did it better. Sorry pal.

I wired it up just like the drawing I posted shows and guess what? <span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%">IT WORKS</span>.
Old 4/27/06 | 03:35 PM
Cobra Member

Hey man, thats fine, I wasnt trying to be a smart hiney. If it works for you great but why would you do something "sub-par" when it has to do with nitrous and an engine that you would rather not blow up.

Your idea of working may be different than safe and within spec.

I dont know what your background is with electrical anything but good luck to ya and that wiring.

You dont need to get any "help" from me anymore.

Oh, 169stang, I didnt mean to directly reply to you, I know you arent into Nitrous for your car, sorry.

-Dan
Old 4/29/06 | 09:57 AM

No problem