GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Falken Azenis RT-615

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/08, 12:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Falken Azenis RT-615

Anybody using these? I would like some feedback on their performance with the S197 Mustang.
Old 9/2/08, 12:29 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pwny
Anybody using these? I would like some feedback on their performance with the S197 Mustang.
+1. I have been looking at these as well. Just wondering how they hold up compared to BFG's. The Falken's have a wear rating of 200 whereas BFG's are 400.
Old 9/2/08, 12:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Adrenalin, how many miles do you put on your car? If its anything like mine, I only drive it about 6 miles a day. I think I can make the tire last a decent amount of time at that pace.
Old 9/2/08, 12:47 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have over 65,000 km on my BFG's right now. These tires should last me till Oct 30th when I store the car for the winter. When I bring it back out in April I plan on getting new tires.
Old 9/2/08, 12:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Do it. I think you won't have to worry about it.

I just want a sticky tire that will do great on the street, as well as the road course.
Old 9/2/08, 09:56 PM
Bullitt Member

The RT-615's are a great tire. I do not have them on my Mustang, but had them on my STI, and LOVED them. They grip wonderful, have great wet traction, and have pretty good tread life for how sticky/grippy they are.
Old 9/3/08, 09:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 08VistablueGT
The RT-615's are a great tire. I do not have them on my Mustang, but had them on my STI, and LOVED them. They grip wonderful, have great wet traction, and have pretty good tread life for how sticky/grippy they are.
Awesome. Thanks for the input.
Old 9/3/08, 10:38 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll chime in

Had these on the stang last year on the rear with a different style of Falkens up front.

the 615s in 295/40/18 - nothing I have seen looks better - AND they are right about the stock ride height so you don't have to worry about the speedo

grip - pretty good but the BF Gs (which I am running now) are definitely better in the rain.

The main drawback for me was the the treadware rating. Even with 400+ to the wheels, I am a fairly conservative driver - driving to work and around town, there are no hard launches off stoplights etc.... with normal diriving and ONE day of some thrashing (three serious tire spinning launches or so), within 13k miles I was AT the center treadware indicators. and at almost $250 a pop for each tire, THAT wasn't going to fly.

So - a pretty cool tire but if you drive HARD and especially launch hard often, I wouldn't expect any kind of longevity from them.

Right now, in grip coupled with tire life comparison, I would go with the BF Gs

Last edited by Burke0011; 9/3/08 at 10:54 AM.
Old 9/3/08, 10:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'll be getting the 17" version of the tires, so I am not too concerned about price.

I also don't have that much power haha!

Anyways, thanks for the input Burke!
Old 9/3/08, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Haven't tried them on the Mustang yet, but I do have a set for my Miata and have had three sets of the previous version of the Azenis (RT-215) on different cars. Very good dry traction tire for a decent price, not great in the rain, but I've driven much worse in the wet, their wet performance drops off the lower the tread gets. They can over heat and get greasy if pushed too hard for too long, when autocrossing on them, I usually have to start spraying them down after my 2nd run to keep them cool.
Old 9/3/08, 10:54 AM
Big Falken Tires

I'll be getting the 17" version of the tires, so I am not too concerned about price.

I also don't have that much power haha!

Anyways, thanks for the input Burke!

Old 9/3/08, 12:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ministang
Haven't tried them on the Mustang yet, but I do have a set for my Miata and have had three sets of the previous version of the Azenis (RT-215) on different cars. Very good dry traction tire for a decent price, not great in the rain, but I've driven much worse in the wet, their wet performance drops off the lower the tread gets. They can over heat and get greasy if pushed too hard for too long, when autocrossing on them, I usually have to start spraying them down after my 2nd run to keep them cool.
I have heard the Falkens are prone to greasing, but my friend swears they don't. He has never had a greasing problem.
Old 9/3/08, 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have heard the Falkens are prone to greasing, but my friend swears they don't. He has never had a greasing problem.
Depends a lot on the kind of driving being done. Autocrossing on a hot day is about the worst kind of abuse you can do to heat the tires up a lot in a really short time. Never had a problem with them getting too hot or losing traction except for that. I have heard reports of them getting a little greasy or overheating for people using them at open track days, but that depends a lot on a lot of different factors, like the weather, the track, what kind of car, the length of the track session, etc.
Old 9/3/08, 02:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ministang
Depends a lot on the kind of driving being done. Autocrossing on a hot day is about the worst kind of abuse you can do to heat the tires up a lot in a really short time. Never had a problem with them getting too hot or losing traction except for that. I have heard reports of them getting a little greasy or overheating for people using them at open track days, but that depends a lot on a lot of different factors, like the weather, the track, what kind of car, the length of the track session, etc.
He was using them to auto-x. I'll have to ask him what car though, as he drives a lot of his friends' cars from his club.
Old 9/4/08, 07:59 AM
Cobra Member

Sticky cornering, better when warmed up. Not long tread life. Not the best option if your looking for standing launches as they are built more for cornering, but they do fairly well.
Old 9/4/08, 09:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
Sticky cornering, better when warmed up. Not long tread life. Not the best option if your looking for standing launches as they are built more for cornering, but they do fairly well.
Exactly what I want
Old 9/4/08, 09:31 AM
Cobra Member

Exactly what I want
Honestly, other than gas pedal induced sideways.. I have not unstuck my car. Part being that I only have 2,000 miles in the driver seat so am taking it relatively easy but I have hit the curving on and off ramps pretty heavy and it just goes where pointed! The springs/tokico's/swaybars etc. are a piece of it, but the tires deserve most of the credit.
Old 9/4/08, 09:31 PM
V6 Member

i've been running my rt615s for 16 months now. I'm not a master of rubber but I do know how my car runs and I notice everything.

I'm currently on my own mission to sample several different tire sets, I'm on my third kind of tire, the azenis, and they are by a HUGE margin the best so far.

The dry grip is just unbelievable, panic-invoking even. I havent broken them loose around a turn, simply due to personal fear. Compared to the stockers and my old continentals, thinking of the grip of the azenis makes me laugh as there is no comparison b/w them and my old tire sets. Just be sure they are warmed up, if cold it's like driving on ice. If it rains a lot where you live, and you dont like power sliding around corners, these tires are not for you.

I've gotten about 15k out of them and I'm not quite down to the treadwear indicators. I thought I'd get 12k out of them with the way i drive.

Even with my meaty 18s and 45/40, the sidewall is still very stiff, and like someone said they look fantastic, I've actually gotten compliments on the tires themselves.

Downside to this tire? hmmm i don't want to blame the rt615's center zig-zag rib for my car following paint lines on the road, that is pure speculation at this point, I'll know for sure when i replace them in a few months. Road noise on the freeway is pretty bad, but thats the price of admission.

I'm going pilot sport ps2 next. Not because I dont love the azenis, but as i said I want to try and drive on several different tires myself till i determine which is best for me. I'll most likely be back to this tire down the road. hope this helps. do it do it.
Old 9/5/08, 06:54 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by Kingpin2B
i've been running my rt615s for 16 months now. I'm not a master of rubber but I do know how my car runs and I notice everything.

I'm currently on my own mission to sample several different tire sets, I'm on my third kind of tire, the azenis, and they are by a HUGE margin the best so far.

The dry grip is just unbelievable, panic-invoking even. I havent broken them loose around a turn, simply due to personal fear. Compared to the stockers and my old continentals, thinking of the grip of the azenis makes me laugh as there is no comparison b/w them and my old tire sets. Just be sure they are warmed up, if cold it's like driving on ice. If it rains a lot where you live, and you dont like power sliding around corners, these tires are not for you.

I've gotten about 15k out of them and I'm not quite down to the treadwear indicators. I thought I'd get 12k out of them with the way i drive.

Even with my meaty 18s and 45/40, the sidewall is still very stiff, and like someone said they look fantastic, I've actually gotten compliments on the tires themselves.

Downside to this tire? hmmm i don't want to blame the rt615's center zig-zag rib for my car following paint lines on the road, that is pure speculation at this point, I'll know for sure when i replace them in a few months. Road noise on the freeway is pretty bad, but thats the price of admission.

I'm going pilot sport ps2 next. Not because I dont love the azenis, but as i said I want to try and drive on several different tires myself till i determine which is best for me. I'll most likely be back to this tire down the road. hope this helps. do it do it.
Excellent - good post man

let us know how the Pilot Sports go!
Old 9/5/08, 09:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Kingpin2B

Awesome input. This helped immensely.