GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Exhaust - Sound Rating

Search this Thread

Old 10/20/06, 08:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exhaust - Sound Rating

I'm looking for opinions and wondering how the following axlebacks rate for Loudness, Deepness and Drone on a scale of 1-10.

_______________Loud__Deeper__Drone
MAC
FRPP Stingers
Pypes Violators
SLP Loudmouth

Also I was thinking about the FRPP or Pypes X-Pipe but I have read that the X is louder but potentially raspier, not necessarily deeper. I have no intention of going with an off-road X or H but I am looking for somewhat louder than stock but deeper.

Thanks.
Old 10/20/06, 08:30 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
I'm looking for opinions and wondering how the following axlebacks rate for Loudness, Deepness and Drone on a scale of 1-10.

_______________Loud__Deeper__Drone
MAC
FRPP Stingers
Pypes Violators
SLP Loudmouth

Also I was thinking about the FRPP or Pypes X-Pipe but I have read that the X is louder but potentially raspier, not necessarily deeper. I have no intention of going with an off-road X or H but I am looking for somewhat louder than stock but deeper.

Thanks.
stingers 8 8 6
slp lm's 9.5 6 5
Old 10/20/06, 09:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2005sonicgt
stingers 8 8 6
slp lm's 9.5 6 5
So the Stingers drone more than LM's?

When people talk about drone do they think the stock setup has any drone?

Also one thing I don't want to lose is the burbling on deceleration.
Old 10/20/06, 09:24 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

So the Stingers drone more than LM's?

When people talk about drone do they think the stock setup has any drone?

Also one thing I don't want to lose is the burbling on deceleration.
The drone is not bad for me. They drone a tad bit more than slp's, I love it. You get a lot more of the burb on decel
Old 10/20/06, 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2005sonicgt
The drone is not bad for me. They drone a tad bit more than slp's, I love it. You get a lot more of the burb on decel
I noticed from your sig that you also have MAC Prochamber. Is that like a higher performance H-pipe?
Old 10/21/06, 07:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drone is such a relative term from one person to the next that getting relevant data by this method is almost impossible. Unless one person has them all and rates them all there is to much variation. In my opinion your only hope is to seek out the cars that have the settup you are interested in and hear them for yourself.
Old 10/21/06, 10:05 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by sts767
Drone is such a relative term from one person to the next that getting relevant data by this method is almost impossible. Unless one person has them all and rates them all there is to much variation. In my opinion your only hope is to seek out the cars that have the settup you are interested in and hear them for yourself.
The stingers are my third setup. Had slp's
Old 10/21/06, 11:00 AM
Bullitt Member

my point was your evaluation of drone on a particular setup may be completely different from mine on the same setup. To many variables to control. Thats why I said you just need to hear it for yourself.
Old 10/21/06, 11:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by sts767
my point was your evaluation of drone on a particular setup may be completely different from mine on the same setup. To many variables to control. Thats why I said you just need to hear it for yourself.
I agree, I guess I'm just trying to find out which system is louder than stock but not too loud and doesn't drone as much as the Stingers. I hear a lot of talk of drone with the Stingers which is concerning me. Also I want deeper not raspier so I am probably leaning towards MAC but nobody talks about those much here, I was hoping to prompt some MAC discussion.

For me the MAC axlebacks seems to have the right sound but I haven't heard them in person so your point is very well taken. I guess I'm looking for that '68 Bullitt sound to some extent. Also the MAC is less expensive than the FRPP Stingers.

Any MAC or Pypes owners out there?
Old 10/21/06, 12:50 PM
V6 Member

Just put flows on the back of mine this morning. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet, since it's been raining all day!! (sounds great at startup though!)

-gambi06
Old 10/21/06, 03:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have read that the X is louder but potentially raspier, not necessarily deeper. I have no intention of going with an off-road X or H but I am looking for somewhat louder than stock but deeper.
Can anyone confirm my what I've read about x-pipes being raspier and h-pipes are deeper.
Old 10/21/06, 05:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

I got the SLP's and these bad boys are loud. Perhaps the loudest on the market. I get drone in the 1900 RPM range but it is not so bad. I wouldn't recommend SLP's if you leave for work earlier than 8:00am. Your neighbors might send a few rounds your way.
Old 10/21/06, 09:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Big Poppa
I got the SLP's and these bad boys are loud. Perhaps the loudest on the market. I get drone in the 1900 RPM range but it is not so bad. I wouldn't recommend SLP's if you leave for work earlier than 8:00am. Your neighbors might send a few rounds your way.
My son's room is above the garage and he says that things on his desk rattle when I start up the Stang in the morning so I'm not looking for too much louder just a little louder but deeper would be great. That's why I'd like confirmation on the X vs, H pipe results.
Old 10/22/06, 10:59 AM
V6 Member

Fords4Ever,

See my recent post with my impressions and links to sound clips with stock H-pipe. I've had the FRPP stinger and am now running the FRPP (Supreme performance) GTAs.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=55265
Old 10/22/06, 11:00 AM
V6 Member

Gambi06,

Impressions on the Flows?? Idle, cruise, WOT, drone. Love to hear opinions. Thanks.
Old 10/22/06, 06:34 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

[quote=Fords4Ever;765028]My son's room is above the garage and he says that things on his desk rattle when I start up the Stang in the morning so I'm not looking for too much louder just a little louder but deeper would be great. That's why I'd like confirmation on the X vs, H pipe results.[/quote

I would say get an h-pipe or a prochamber. My prochamber really deepened up my exhaust!
Old 10/24/06, 04:10 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by rnail
Gambi06,

Impressions on the Flows?? Idle, cruise, WOT, drone. Love to hear opinions. Thanks.
Well, so far I haven't been able to really give it an honest WOT run, but I can comment on the others...

Idle: Nice and crisp. A tad louder and deeper than stock, but not by much.

Acceleration: So far, my favorite part. I find myself accelerating faster and shifting later than I normally do, just to hear the flows! They sound great at higher RPM!

Cruise: A little deeper than stock...tiny bit of drone when giving it too much gas for the gear (ie, if your'e cruising at 45mph in 5th and give it gas w/o downshifting to 4th) Nothing intolerable...just more evident than stock. I hear it gets pretty loud if you switch to an OR-X pipe, though!
It's just as quiet as stock when coasting. No drone at all, there.

So far, I love them! They were easy to install. (make sure you have a 13mm combo wrench!!) It took about an hour on one side, and about 15 min. on the other, cause I DIDN'T have the right wrench...had to use a crescent wrench!
I really like the way the new tailpipes look, over the stock ones.

I'll let you know how they sound WOT as soon as I can.

-gambi06
Old 10/24/06, 05:29 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get Flowmasters. Perfect sound with minimal to zero drone
Old 10/24/06, 07:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got my American Thunder Flowmaster today. Will install sometime tomorrow. Will keep you guys informed.
Old 10/24/06, 08:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rnail
Fords4Ever,

See my recent post with my impressions and links to sound clips with stock H-pipe. I've had the FRPP stinger and am now running the FRPP (Supreme performance) GTAs.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=55265
rnail,

I think you and a couple others like GRAYPNY have me convinced on the FRPP GTA/Supreme GTs. I am liking them more and more. I think I could get away with these and my wife would still ride in the car. Drone has me concerned so these are probably my best bet.

I want something where I can tell there is a difference but nothing obnoxious. I'm hoping to see/hear a side-by-side video of the GTA and Stock mufflers. These would make a great Christmas gift!

Quick Reply: Exhaust - Sound Rating