GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 6/19/11, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust question

I have a boomtube axle back with the stock cats and I have a bassani x pipe with cats sitting in my garage and was wondering if anybody have heard this combination in person or online because I can't find that combo anywhere online. I don't want it to be too loud.
Old 6/20/11, 07:16 AM
GT Member

x pipe with cats, and axle back...shouldnt be too loud. just put it on and if you dont like it take it off. no harm done. dont just let it sit in the garage though!!
Old 6/20/11, 09:17 AM

Yeah I know its been killing me see it sitting in the garage. I think I will put it in this weekend.
Old 6/20/11, 03:13 PM

I have a very similar setup. I took an o/r H pipe and welded in high flow cats and use MAC Boom Tubes. Sounds great. Basically same setup (high flow cats and boom tubes) but with an H instead of an X.

Here is an old ****ty clip from before the cats were broken in, and with a nasty leak. It sounds MUCH better now, and I'll try to get you a new clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7Xem6shLm4

BTW, after this clip I installed cmdp's and udp's and they both changed the sound with this setup. The udp's made the engine rev a little faster which isn't really much of a change but the cmdp's drastically made the exhaust gurgle (spit and pop) a lot more. Before the cmdp's it was just when downshifting in 3rd and 2nd. Now it's almost whenever I'm not on the throttle, even coasting at highway speed in 5th gear. Not sure if that's a plus or minus for you. I personally think it sounds awesome.

I'll try to get you a newer clip soon with the cats broken in and the cmdp's. Sounds deeper and less tinny now. And a little more aggressive with the cmdp's.

Last edited by Heavy Metal Thunder; 6/20/11 at 03:16 PM.
Old 6/22/11, 12:24 PM

I re-read your original post. It will be LOUD. The boom tubes paired with the high flows make for a very loud combination. I've heard my car in person side by side to a o/r x with flowmasters and my car was definitely louder even though he had an off road pipe and I had high flow cats.

Also, just FYI, when the boom tubes are paired with the high flow cats, you get a very throaty bordering on raspy sound. I have been told that my H pipe sounds like an X because of it. So I would imagine that the boom tubes and high flow cats on an X pipe will be extremely raspy. Not sure if that's your cup of tea or not.