GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Exhaust Options... Mine's too Rowdy

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/24, 01:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Exhaust Options... Mine's too Rowdy

2006 Mustang GT Convertible.....

Currently running mostly stock engine with Ford Racing intake and BBK 62mm throttlebody with stock exhaust manifolds, cat delete with H Pipe and Borla Atak out back. I bought it like this. Although it's a little fun at times, it gets obnoxious. Especially with eh current 4.10 gears (Changing back to 3.55s when I can)

I like a little fun sound to my exhaust but not obnoxious..

I'm not sure which company made the catless H Pipe but the passenger side leaks where it meets the manifold. The flare on the Pipe is bottomed out and can't be tightened anymore. Only solution is to grind off 1/8 to 1/4 inch off the flare and hope it pulls in tighter.... or.....

I found a stock GT exhaust with cats and 45k miles locally. Maybe that would quite it down a little leaving the Ataks out back

Or... go with the Magnaflow 24151 catted downpipe H Pipe and leave the Ataks

or... would stock mufflers or Magnaflow Touring tone down the catless H pipes?

Too many freegin options...

Old 9/4/24, 02:12 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,334 Posts
You Are Right a Lot Of Options and First Realize The Gear Change Will Help a Bit With Lower RPM. Likely Not Enough. Really Budget Would Help For an Answer. The Cheap Would Be Some Take Off Stock Mufflers To Try That is If Leak Were Fixed. Might Try & Fix Leak First and if it Can't Be Remedied That Will Narrow Options. I Would Bet Somebody Has Tried The Catless Stock Mufflers at Some Point. If It Were Me I Would See if Leak Could Be Fixed and Get Gear Change Done and See How Unruly it Is or Is Not. We Have Had Quite a Few Exhaust Threads and Now That I Think of It We Have a Lot of Exhaust Vids!

Exhaust is a Real Personal Choice and Opinions on Them Are Gonna Be Varied!

Might Give a Listen Here! Give Em A Chance To Load! CRANK EM UP!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...e-vids-550448/

KC

On A Side Note One of My Favorite Threads To Listen To When I Want to get Motivated is The Vid of The 2023 Mustang Week Pull Outs! I'm Sure You Will Have Heard Enough Exhaust Vids After The Other Link But In The Future Might Give This a Listen. More Mustang Exhaust Notes Than You Can Imagine!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-video-550428/
Old 9/4/24, 02:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 1,082 Posts
I think it is the cat delete that is making it loud and obnoxious ... if you can find factory exhaust with good cats for a reasonable price, I would go for that for sure

this will also help you down the road when emissions inspection inevitably becomes a requirement
Old 9/4/24, 02:51 PM
The Analog Admin!

For Years I Have Been Waiting For The Emissions Hammer To Drop on The Other States Like California! It Would Mess Up A Lot of Folks World! It is a Possibility! A Cheap Set Might Be a Real Good Find! We Smog Back to 76 Here! What a Joke! A Bad One! We are Not Even Allowed To Buy Used Cats at The Wrecking Yards! Stock Parts Would Dry Up in a Heartbeat!

Good Call Bert!

KC
Old 9/4/24, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
You Are Right a Lot Of Options and First Realize The Gear Change Will Help a Bit With Lower RPM. Likely Not Enough. Really Budget Would Help For an Answer. The Cheap Would Be Some Take Off Stock Mufflers To Try That is If Leak Were Fixed. Might Try & Fix Leak First and if it Can't Be Remedied That Will Narrow Options. I Would Bet Somebody Has Tried The Catless Stock Mufflers at Some Point. If It Were Me I Would See if Leak Could Be Fixed and Get Gear Change Done and See How Unruly it Is or Is Not. We Have Had Quite a Few Exhaust Threads and Now That I Think of It We Have a Lot of Exhaust Vids!

Exhaust is a Real Personal Choice and Opinions on Them Are Gonna Be Varied!

Might Give a Listen Here! Give Em A Chance To Load! CRANK EM UP!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...e-vids-550448/

KC

On A Side Note One of My Favorite Threads To Listen To When I Want to get Motivated is The Vid of The 2023 Mustang Week Pull Outs! I'm Sure You Will Have Heard Enough Exhaust Vids After The Other Link But In The Future Might Give This a Listen. More Mustang Exhaust Notes Than You Can Imagine!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-video-550428/
I went on a YouTube search checking out the levels of Cat-Back exhaust systems from magnaflow, borla, and a few other brands but from what I gather, those cars still have the factory cats on them. I know without cats all of those exhaust tones would change dramatically which makes this kind of hard.

First things first, is getting that leak fixed on the exhaust manifold where it meets the pipe because my mechanic thinks that it is sucking in air at that point and kicking off the O2 sensor code which is then making the engine run a little lean. And that alone causes all the other problems. He checked my spark plugs and they are pretty dark so he's going to change all of them out along with two brand new O2 sensors. If he can get that H pipe to seal better and the codes go away, then the exhaust options may or may not change from there. But you are right and the fact that down the road, in minnesota, they prefer that the catalytic converters are in place when you sell the car. It might make it a little bit more salable to buyers who maybe don't want such an obnoxious sound

The seller that's an hour away from me has the factory mufflers as well with only 45,000 miles on them so I might snag up both just to try a couple combinations
Old 9/4/24, 03:47 PM
The Analog Admin!

I Had a Very Small, Could Only Hear From the Echo Between Buildings Exhaust Leak on My Supercharged Harley Truck At Headpipe and Caused Me Check Engine Lights Randomly For A Few Years. Once I Fixed it that Issue Went away along With Much Improved Fuel Trims. So A Headpipe Leak Especially a Larger One Could Cause Some Driveability Issues as The Pcm can Only Compensate so Far!

Old 9/4/24, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
I Had a Very Small, Could Only Hear From the Echo Between Buildings Exhaust Leak on My Supercharged Harley Truck At Headpipe and Caused Me Check Engine Lights Randomly For A Few Years. Once I Fixed it that Issue Went away along With Much Improved Fuel Trims. So A Headpipe Leak Especially a Larger One Could Cause Some Driveability Issues as The Pcm can Only Compensate so Far!

Thats what my mechanic is figuring... right now i have the P0171, P0174 and P2198 (new one). He is thinking since the car was thinking it was running lean, it dumped extra fuel in (i can always smell gas) and it ticked off the O2 sensor which caused a chain of events over a few days. It looks like that sensor is now shot and my plugs are fairly dark so to be safe we are replacing it all.

Old 9/4/24, 05:55 PM
The Analog Admin!

It's Crazy What a Problem Some Little ***** in The Exhaust Could Be, But Often in Life It's Those Little Things That Drive You Crazy! For Example That Same Harley Truck Had a PCV Hose Go Bad. Not A Big Deal Part But But Was also a Vacuum Leak and To Replace You Have To Remove The Blower! Did it Myself and it Was One Painful Experience Due To The Health Issues.

Just Another Little ***** in the Hose! Aye Carumba! See Arrow! I Could Have Pulled The Cab! NOT! While I Did Get a New Factory Assembly. It's a 3 Way Setup, I Used High Pressure Bulk Line Which Was Much Beefier For The Section You Can't get To!

I think it's All Gonna Fall Into Place Starting With The Leak!

KC