GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Exhaust help

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/08, 10:11 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust help

I'm going to get a set of Bassani long tube headers, a high flow x-pipe, and possibly (because I'm slightly **** about things matching) Bassani race axle backs.

My primary concern is that I've heard some of the bassani axle backs like to melt the rear diffuser on california special/GT500 rear fascias, just like the one I have on my car. Can anyone testify from their own experience how the Race mufflers fit on that specific rear fascia?

My second concern is sound. I have FRPP stingers with an otherwise stock exhaust system. I like the way the stingers sound, and as far as I can tell, they have no drone. How is the sound difference between the stingers and the bassani race mufflers? How much more volume am I looking at with the high flow cats and the long tubes? Videos speak much louder than text can justify. Please don't post "It's going to be raspy." I know that already.

Third concern is price. I've looked around, and ninosport seems to have the best pricing so far, and free shipping. Any places you guys know of that I can get a good deal on these things? Any vendors want to make a good sized sale? I'm looking for a good deal!!

I'm going to be getting a CAI/Tuner package from brenspeed prior to this set-up, so that my engine will be calibrated for the extra airflow.

Any other thoughts/suggestions? Stainless vs BX or otherwise go ahead. I need help.
Old 2/27/08, 07:03 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IDK man but the lt's, catted x, and stingers or bassani race will sound sooooo good!! Please send me a vid when your done!

-Adam
Old 2/27/08, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Ive never heard the Bassani mufflers in person, but I cant tell the difference between them and the Stingers in the videos. Theres not much to them, they're both straight-through type mufflers. Its going to sound good either way though, I dont think it will be too raspy with high flow cats on. Theres a big difference between O/R and even the highest flowing cats.
Old 2/27/08, 07:38 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you deciding between highflow cats or no cats I would def put on some highflow cats. It will sound more refinedNo cats and lt's will be too much IMO.
Old 2/27/08, 10:00 PM
V6 Member

Sure, i'm stoked about finally deciding on a system to go with. I'm still not sure whether i'm gonna go with the street or the race mufflers, both sound great. I have to hear back from Ninosport and Bassani because of potential clearance problems with my gt 500/cali-special rear fascia.

Also, I talked to a local mustang tuner shop and they said they'd charge $180/hour with unlimited dyno pulls to tune my car if I had a diablo tuner. Like i said I'd be getting a C&L CAI/Tuner combo, but I'm gonna get it personally tuned. As apposed to getting a "mail order tune", as he says speed shops do, or a "canned tune" from the factory. The guy said that suprisingly enough, they do get close to 30 hp gains from the combo. I'm sure it's mostly the tune that does it and not the CAI, but who cares. That plus the exhaust and I think I'm gonna have to check and see if it's the same car!
Old 2/28/08, 03:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im doing long tube bbk's and a catted x pipe from them, with the pypes MM setup out back

ill post up some vids when its done.

the main reason i went with cats is to eliminate the raspiness associated with O/R pipes.....
I cant stand raspiness... i want a nice loud roar with that burbling sound you get on decel.... mmmmm
Old 2/29/08, 04:05 PM
V6 Member

I've got Bassani LT's and the off-road x-pipe. It was really raspy with the GTA's, so I changed to the Flowmasters and added resonators to tone it down. I should have just got the high flow cats, since I've heard the will add as much or almost as much power as the off roads.
Also, I think the custom tune would be a good way to go. I was set on Brenspeed until I got my Bassani LT's and talked to them, and then I ended up going with Bamachips. Long story.
I also got mine from rpmoutlet.com. They have 10% off on the Bassani stuff, so it might be cheaper for ya. I've seen some guys on here complain about them, but I didn't have any trouble. Their return policy kind of sucks, so make sure you know what you want.
I haven't had any problems with the GTA's or the Flows with my Cali Spec rear fascia. And those both have 4 inch tips. Hope this helps.
Old 3/6/08, 05:27 PM
V6 Member

Yeah that helps out quite a bit. thanks.