GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Exhaust Droan Question...

Search this Thread

Old 10/13/06, 05:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Droan Question...

Most, if not all of the common complaints about the aftermarket exhaust swaps seem to revolve around the "droan" level emmitted by each system. This seems to be a common ailment found in manual transmission cars. Is it also common with ehaust system swaps in cars with auto transmissions? Anyone have input/knowledge of the best combo for an auto GT? (before you flame me...my wife refuses to learn to drive a standard ) Thanks in advance...!
Old 10/13/06, 07:24 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's been a hot topic with these newer Mustangs. Interesting read here;
http://www.mustangforums.com/m_1534962/tm.htm
Hope I don't get banned for posting on a different forum.
I've tried louder,meaner mufflers;IMCO Extremes, sounded great but had drone,currently running Ford Racing GTA's, used on the GT-H & Shelby's,bit meaner than stock, no drone,but not real loud. Personally,I'm happy with these.
aircare
Old 10/13/06, 07:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by delz05
Most, if not all of the common complaints about the aftermarket exhaust swaps seem to revolve around the "droan" level emmitted by each system. This seems to be a common ailment found in manual transmission cars. Is it also common with ehaust system swaps in cars with auto transmissions? Anyone have input/knowledge of the best combo for an auto GT? (before you flame me...my wife refuses to learn to drive a standard ) Thanks in advance...!
I have not done a swap yet, but it seems like the Ford GT-H set up with the x-pipe is a safe combo to give a little more noise w/o the droan risk. I think with the louder set ups, a droan is enevitable.

Once complaint you can't have with the auto is the lousy shifting characteristics of this manual trans / shifter combo Ford has saddled us with.
Old 10/13/06, 07:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is the bottom line, all you need to know, no Mickey Mouse, no risk answer. I'm 53 years old and have experienced every type of resonance, boom, drone, blat, din, roar, blare, etc., etc. I have a Corsa axleback. Under acceleration it thunders. Under every other condition it is as quiet as stock. It isn't the cheapest nor the most expensive. It is as unrestrictive as a straight pipe. In legal conditions, ie. with stock cats, there is ZERO risk of unwanted exhaust noise.
Old 10/13/06, 08:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will get drone with both an auto or a 5-speed. I have a 5-speed with Flowmasters A/T- very minimal to zero drone. If you want ZERO drone, go with Corsas, but you pay... a lot.
Old 10/13/06, 10:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Granatelli Motor Sports say they have a set that has no drone. I already put on DynoMax and it too has drone.
Old 10/14/06, 01:16 AM
Cobra R Member

the shelby exhaust supposedly is louder than stock and has no drone. I have some sitting on my counter. I have had the bassanis, the borlas, hoping these will finally be the right choice
Old 10/14/06, 05:52 AM
gpp
GT Member

i have some flow pros on mine with very little drone compared to stock.
Old 10/15/06, 11:29 AM
Cobra R Member

I installed the shelby mufflers/supremes sold by nino sport, they have no drone. They are just a hair louder than stock with the 4" awesome tips, and no drone. If you want a little louder and no drone I would recommend these and possibly and xpipe for a little more umf, but both combined still are stated at having no drone. I love them for the look and a little louder.
Old 10/15/06, 12:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Sodaman. I just purchased some GTA's, hope to have them by the end of the week. What I am hoping to accomplish is, a bit louder than stock, nice idle sound with a mild rumble on acceleration. I am thinking of headers and hi-flow cats, possible upgrade of the mid pipes as well. from what I have read, keeping an H-pipe tends to deepen the sound. Any other opinions and/or experiences?
Old 10/15/06, 12:49 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(before you flame me...my wife refuses to learn to drive a standard ) Thanks in advance...!

Mine too...so I bought her an 06 GT Standard. Now she had to learn. I felt your pain but it is cool once she learned. But I was until then.
Old 10/15/06, 02:15 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks Sodaman. I just purchased some GTA's, hope to have them by the end of the week. What I am hoping to accomplish is, a bit louder than stock, nice idle sound with a mild rumble on acceleration. I am thinking of headers and hi-flow cats, possible upgrade of the mid pipes as well. from what I have read, keeping an H-pipe tends to deepen the sound. Any other opinions and/or experiences?
While X-pipe may have an effect on the sound (positive or negative depending on your taste), the x-pipe is really all about performance enhancement ... although its only a tiny bit.

You will get a bigger kick for your buck by getting a good cold air inlet, possibly an air flow meter and retune than the other exhaust stuff you are talking about.
Old 10/15/06, 03:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I have the GMS CAI with MAF and that is a great "bang-for-the-buck" mod. Tuner and re-flash will be my last mod, as I dont' want to have to keep making adjustments. I come from the 4bbl carb and max-cubic inch era, when adding "true duels" with headers was the best of the rest upgrades.
Old 10/16/06, 09:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had Borla's and they droned at about 1800 Rpm's...You could get around this by staying out of that range. I have a manual tranny so I don't know how this would do in an automatic setup. I now have GMS Axel backs and they are great...Good sound at IDLE and Throttle with no drone. Much cheaper than Corsa's as well. I believe Granatelli has some knowledge of Corsa technology but I am not sure to what extent.
Old 10/17/06, 05:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Does the droan come from the muffler or where? I have DynoMax cat-back system. It has more droan than my wife cares for, it's not bad. But if getting the right muffler, say Granatelli, would sovle that I would do it.
Old 10/17/06, 05:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ARBO
Does the droan come from the muffler or where? I have DynoMax cat-back system. It has more droan than my wife cares for, it's not bad. But if getting the right muffler, say Granatelli, would sovle that I would do it.

Exhaust drone does come from your muffler selection! Usually the louder it is at WOT the worst the drone is. I have the Borla's and to this day I still think there is no muffler with any more aggressive sound under power. But, I will tell you that at 1800-2200 rpm the drone can be pretty bad. Some say the Corsa's are the best for WOT sound and no drone at part throttle. They are not cheap but they may be the answer??????????
Scott
Old 10/20/06, 10:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Ran across these on ebay. If you want no drone and cheap, check it out.
</IMG>
Ford Racing Axle-Back Exhaust Kit, 2005-07 Mustang GT

</IMG> 12$240.00
$22.852d 08h 59m
Old 10/20/06, 11:16 AM
Bullitt Member

bassani's drone somewhat but its worth it.
Old 10/20/06, 12:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the Corsa's and I love them. They are expensive, but sound great at WOT and no drone. Supposedly the GMS system doesn't drone. The benefit of the GMS system over the Corsa's are the Corsa's are only mufflers, whereas the GMS is a complete H-back system with new intermediate pipes. If I could go back, I would get the GMS system, simply because of the new pipes and price.
Old 10/20/06, 01:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

i know everyone complains about the drone but for me, ive got the axleback flowmasters and the drone that DOES resonate, I like. Its the signature of the mustang and I wouldnt get rid of it for anything. If i wanted it sounding stock, i would have kept it stock!

but if you dont like the drone, thats your own personal taste and i do respect it.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Droan Question...