GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Ever-Changing Exhaust Decisions...

Search this Thread

Old 8/28/05 | 07:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by GhostGT@August 28, 2005, 9:24 PM
So you guys are saying that if I get the Borlas, I will sound like that, maybe even louder?

Brandon, you really don't think those are loud? Is it just the deepness, then, that i am hearing? My ears hurt when hes at the end of my street in low RPMS...will Borla do this?
If the Borlas are louder like boomer said, then yeah, you'll be louder. Even the Magnapacks sound louder than that.

Nope, I rode in brother's Stang alot, and it was at least twice as loud as that, with about no rasp (I think there was a little around 2-3k rpms). The Flowmaster 1-chambers were EXTREMELY loud though, and had horrible rasp. The cops around here are pretty lenient on exhaust sounds...and even me and him both thought that those would get unwanted attention from the cops.

I should have gotten a video of his car...it sounded so mean, and it was just a perfect sound, not ear-numbing and about zero rasp.
Old 8/28/05 | 07:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

So...basically, you would say go with the Borla Catbacks?

I would definitely think about other setups like you mentioned, such as the magnapacks/x pipe, but borlas will be cheaper and will be much easier to install as only catbacks.

So...is it safe to say that Borla will sound better than my friend's GT? I want people to hear the video first and then comment on it...should be up and running soon...
Old 8/28/05 | 07:45 PM
I Have No Life

Originally posted by Shifty@August 28, 2005, 1:26 PM
If you want loud without massive amounts of rasp: Magnaflow xpipe + magnapacks. They're basicly straight pipes.
Basically straight pipes? I don't think so. I have the magnapack cat back system. Sure I don;t have the x pipe but that will not make that much of a difference. I've had straight pipes before, huge difference.
Old 8/28/05 | 07:46 PM
I Have No Life

Originally posted by Boomer@August 28, 2005, 6:50 PM
Ask Adrenalin how loud borla's are
Ya, no kidding. I thought the magnapacks were loud until you started your car. Geez, if you want your neighbours upset with you get the borla's
Old 8/28/05 | 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, go with the Borlas.
Old 8/28/05 | 07:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Haha sounds good...now all I gotta do is convince my dad to let me order them...He says the stock mufflers sound better than any exhaust....(This coming from a man who has an Escalade with Magnaflows on it )
Old 8/28/05 | 08:13 PM
I Have No Life

He obviously hasn't heard the 05 with an axleback system
Old 8/28/05 | 08:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Borlas are loud when you want them to be and quiet when they have to be!
Old 8/28/05 | 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

darn the clip is still not up...Brandon any luck?
Old 8/28/05 | 09:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not to beat a dead horse again and again and again, but my friend Chris just stopped by to drop off stome stuff...and he drove around my street a little bit....

Guys, I know you might sit there and hate me for saying this 10000 times, but WOW his exhaust is really killer. It is so deep and the throatiness (ie. gurgles) are just phenomenal. I wish some of you could come here and see what I mean.

Im hoping the clip will work soon...so you can all hear it!

Does ANYONE live around LA that would care to maybe drop by one day or meet with me, and show me what exhaust set-up they have? Something that might sound similar to my friend's? I'd be eternally thankful...
Old 8/28/05 | 09:35 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Vid doesn't work

But either way, your car will sound AS good if not BETTER than your friends...... I don't need to hear the clip. Borlas are friggen loud when you stomp on them. As far as quality of the sound, they sound amazing.

Stop debating and order already.
Old 8/28/05 | 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Dan@August 28, 2005, 9:38 PM
Vid doesn't work

But either way, your car will sound AS good if not BETTER than your friends...... I don't need to hear the clip. Borlas are friggen loud when you stomp on them. As far as quality of the sound, they sound amazing.

Stop debating and order already.
haha well said
Old 8/28/05 | 10:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok, uploading to my other domain...

try...
Right-Click, Save-As

or try...
Right-click, save-as
Old 8/28/05 | 10:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Is anybody out there running Borlas with a high flow catted x-pipe? I'm thinkin the magnaflow/bassani highflow x-pipe might deepen the sound a little. Whatcha'll think?
Old 8/29/05 | 12:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by FireDragon@August 28, 2005, 10:51 PM
Is anybody out there running Borlas with a high flow catted x-pipe? I'm thinkin the magnaflow/bassani highflow x-pipe might deepen the sound a little. Whatcha'll think?
I'd definitely be interested if it deepens...I also want to know whether adding an x pipe or even headers will make it throatier, and add more gurgles.

Can anybody help us? :shock:
Old 8/29/05 | 12:08 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by GhostGT@August 29, 2005, 2:07 AM
I'd definitely be interested if it deepens...I also want to know whether adding an x pipe or even headers will make it throatier, and add more gurgles.

Can anybody help us? :shock:
I heard the borla with FRP headers and x-pipe (I believe) and it sounded about 15% louder than the axle-backs. Not a big difference for the extra $$ and small hp gain IMO. There was more sound coming from the underside of the car and out of the engine with this setup.

Typically headers make the car sound more like a race car versus a deeper throatier sound.
Old 8/29/05 | 12:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Dan@August 29, 2005, 12:11 AM
I heard the borla with FRP headers and x-pipe (I believe) and it sounded about 15% louder than the axle-backs. Not a big difference for the extra $$ and small hp gain IMO. There was more sound coming from the underside of the car and out of the engine with this setup.

Typically headers make the car sound more like a race car versus a deeper throatier sound.
Dan you seem like you know A TON about exhausts and im thankful your helping out... In your opinion, which would be louder, deeper and throatier? A Borla Catback setup or a Bassani axleback/Bassani X-pipe w/cats system? Theres a new video posted up right above/below my thread. Check it out and drop your opinion here.

I know Borla sounds amazing, but Dan, one thing I REALLY want is throatyness and gurgles...can I do something to add this to a Borla setup? I think you know what i mean..when you sometimes let off the throttle, the exhaust sounds like its letting out little burps... :worship: (Not the sound it makes on a cold start up/rev)
Old 8/29/05 | 07:48 AM
I Have No Life

I would almost suggest hearing it in person.

If you like the sound in the video, chances are you'll like it in person...
With the borla clips, you are missing the bass/volume/tones that you won't get unless you are standing near it.

When I revved the car for adrenalin...he thought it had to be more than just mufflers/tips... (like a midpipe..h/x and headers)
I'd be afraid to hear it with those...its loud enough for me already...
Well....loud enough to get wanted attention and UNwanted attention.

Start with a catback/axleback system that you like and change the other parts later if you want/need.
Old 8/29/05 | 11:42 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by GhostGT@August 29, 2005, 2:14 AM
Dan you seem like you know A TON about exhausts and im thankful your helping out... In your opinion, which would be louder, deeper and throatier? A Borla Catback setup or a Bassani axleback/Bassani X-pipe w/cats system? Theres a new video posted up right above/below my thread. Check it out and drop your opinion here.

I know Borla sounds amazing, but Dan, one thing I REALLY want is throatyness and gurgles...can I do something to add this to a Borla setup? I think you know what i mean..when you sometimes let off the throttle, the exhaust sounds like its letting out little burps... :worship: (Not the sound it makes on a cold start up/rev)
Honestly, j-stang's Bassani setup sounds great don't get me wrong, but I am 100% sure that the Borla setup is DEEPER and THROATIER by far. It is deeper than any system I've heard out there.

The borla DOES burble quite a bit especially when slowing down while still in gear.

Basically it comes down to this, you either like the Bassani sound (which is a "raspy", "gurgally" type of sound) or you like a DEEPER, THROATIER sound.

I wish I had a digital camera with a recorder....then I could record my system from the back of the car for you....

Hope that helped,

Dan
Old 8/29/05 | 12:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Dan@August 29, 2005, 11:45 AM
Honestly, j-stang's Bassani setup sounds great don't get me wrong, but I am 100% sure that the Borla setup is DEEPER and THROATIER by far. It is deeper than any system I've heard out there.

The borla DOES burble quite a bit especially when slowing down while still in gear.

Basically it comes down to this, you either like the Bassani sound (which is a "raspy", "gurgally" type of sound) or you like a DEEPER, THROATIER sound.

I wish I had a digital camera with a recorder....then I could record my system from the back of the car for you....

Hope that helped,

Dan

It did a lot, thanks. You actually convinced me to get this system, so Im going to start with the order very soon, hopefully.

Quick Reply: Ever-Changing Exhaust Decisions...