GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

E85 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/08, 07:44 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E85 Conversion

Anybody done an E85 conversion on a 2005-2008 GT yet?
With E85 becoming more and more available surely I'm not the only one thinking of the benefits of this hi-octane fuel...
Old 3/13/08, 09:47 AM
GT Member

Thought this video would be very interesting to anybody considering E85

Scroll for video.

http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/Page?template=Myths

Last edited by andyukok442; 3/13/08 at 09:49 AM. Reason: typo error
Old 3/13/08, 10:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't feel like watching the video. I'll just say, the only reason to switch to E85 is performance. If you want to save money, look elsewhere. The worse gas mileage far exceeds the price per gallon savings. But if you're looking for the most performance, especially with a forced induction application, E85 can definitely help you there. After tuning for E85, my dyno shop's Talon picked up almost 100 HP.
Old 3/13/08, 10:10 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
E85 has 2/3 the energy density of gasoline. The reason why you can pick up a LOT of power with forced induction using E85 is the high knock resistance of E85. It's essentially 105+ octane fuel.
Old 3/13/08, 10:36 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
Don't feel like watching the video. I'll just say, the only reason to switch to E85 is performance. If you want to save money, look elsewhere. The worse gas mileage far exceeds the price per gallon savings. But if you're looking for the most performance, especially with a forced induction application, E85 can definitely help you there. After tuning for E85, my dyno shop's Talon picked up almost 100 HP.
Holy Crap! 100 HP? I can't watch the video yet...my work computer won't allow that..but I'll definately watch it later. Can you give me a hint as to what needs to be upgradeed to run E85?
Old 3/13/08, 10:50 AM
GT Member

i was racing TAFC funny cars for around 8 years in Europe so I'm well aware of the power and cooling effects of methanol but I know the problems 100% methanol can cause but mixed with 15% gasoline the lubricant factor minimises these major problems and is very low on emissions.

I'm pretty sure it's nothing more than a flash tune and maybe a injector jet change. According to most sources I've been looking up on they say there is no bad impact on fuel tank, fuel lines etc.
I used to air-blow out the lines of the funny car and then spray in WD40 and blow that through but that was only because it was pure methanol and leaving it sitting between races and even seasons would only result in crystallisation in the lines.
Old 3/13/08, 11:09 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by andyukok442
I used to air-blow out the lines of the funny car and then spray in WD40 and blow that through but that was only because it was pure methanol and leaving it sitting between races and even seasons would only result in crystallisation in the lines.
If that was a funny car or top fuel dragster, then the fuel was 99% nitromethane with just a trace of methanol alcohol in it so those triple spark plugs could light it off.

Of course, I'm sure you actually talking about "Top Alcohol Funny Car" instead of just "Funny Car"...
Old 3/13/08, 11:57 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by MSGTGT
Holy Crap! 100 HP? I can't watch the video yet...my work computer won't allow that..but I'll definately watch it later. Can you give me a hint as to what needs to be upgradeed to run E85?
I'm not sure on the exact amount, but it was somewhere around that. The E85 allows them to give more boost and change the compression to levels that regular gas doesn't allow. That's the difference. The car is crazy. When you're there during a dyno, it's like a jet taking off. Covering your ears is a must, and I love things loud.

He has trouble hooking up. If he could hook up, he'd be running a lot faster than he was.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/M...run_127065.htm

And here's a dyno vid:
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/M...i-2_123234.htm
Old 3/13/08, 12:29 PM
GT Member

I just got this reply to an email I sent to E85 Conversion Kits Change2E85.com asking about Mustang compatibility:

Thanks for your interest. We have a conversion kit for your Mustang.
E85 Conversion Kits Change2E85.com is the kit to order.

We have done many mustangs including Saleen and Rousch modified. Take a
listen to Gear Head Radio on the following link
E85 Conversion Kits Change2E85.com. One of the mechanics
runs our conversion kit on his 4.6L 450HP Cobra Powered Ford Focus.

Sincerely,

David Virtue
change2E85.com
Changing the world to ethanol one vehicle at a time.
303-859-1097
Old 3/13/08, 12:43 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RRRoamer
If that was a funny car or top fuel dragster, then the fuel was 99% nitromethane with just a trace of methanol alcohol in it so those triple spark plugs could light it off.

Of course, I'm sure you actually talking about "Top Alcohol Funny Car" instead of just "Funny Car"...
I did write TAFC (Top Alcohol Funny Car)
but yes you're partially right, you spray gasoline into the open butterflies, close them off then turn the motor with the starter and keep spraying gasoline into the injector hat, once it's run a few seconds the combustion will be hot enough to ignite the methanol without the need for gasoline.
That's another reason the add 15% gasoline to the methanol to aid cold start ignition.
Old 3/13/08, 12:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Isn't E85 actually worse for the environment than normal gas? I seem to remember reading something about that.
Old 3/13/08, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Problem with E85 is it's driving up the price of corn, which is in-turn driving up food prices. Ethanol needs to be made from some other plant, like Brazil used sugar cane. Although I many times doubt the help Ethanol is on the enviroment.
Old 3/13/08, 02:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Starfire
Problem with E85 is it's driving up the price of corn, which is in-turn driving up food prices. Ethanol needs to be made from some other plant, like Brazil used sugar cane. Although I many times doubt the help Ethanol is on the enviroment.
I've been saying that for a while. Sugar cane is plentiful and cheap. It also burns cleaner, and makes a much more combustible ethanol, so we'd see a lot better gas mileage off of it.
Old 3/13/08, 02:24 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
I'm not sure on the exact amount, but it was somewhere around that. The E85 allows them to give more boost and change the compression to levels that regular gas doesn't allow.
That is due to the higher knock resistance. E85 has an octane rating of about 100-105 so it allows you to run more spark, boost, and/or compression to bump up the power output:

http://www.agriculture.state.ia.us/e85q&a.html

There are new Flex-Fuel vehicles coming out that will produce an a$$load more power when E85 is used and only a mediocre amount with regular gas. THAT is how they should have used E85 in a FFV from the get-go, rather than try to sell it as an "economical" solution.
Old 3/13/08, 02:25 PM
GT Member

Well sure beats watching gas go up and up and up and any way we need a good combustible fuel for the near future which will be widely accepted for our muscle cars. I think methanol will be the answer for our weekend cars.
I mean I've seen the Roneale built Electric powered Mustang and it's well impressive but I just wanna hear the roar of the pipes which neither electric or hydrogen won't give you, plus there's nothing better than popping the hood on a performance V8.

So the future holds no real alternative for gasoline except for Methanol (as far as I know), so which way do you wanna go with your Mustangs, eclectric/hydrogen or methanol?
Old 3/13/08, 02:27 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
That is due to the higher knock resistance. E85 has an octane rating of about 100-105 so it allows you to run more spark, boost, and/or compression to bump up the power output:

http://www.agriculture.state.ia.us/e85q&a.html

There are new Flex-Fuel vehicles coming out that will produce an a$$load more power when E85 is used and only a mediocre amount with regular gas. THAT is how they should have used E85 in a FFV from the get-go, rather than try to sell it as an "economical" solution.
well stated
Old 3/13/08, 09:20 PM
V6 Member

It does have a serious effect on corn feed thus the higher costs on dairy, eggs, etc. Corn based ethenol also has no were near the emissions reduction results like sugar cane does...
Old 3/13/08, 11:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by andyukok442
I did write TAFC (Top Alcohol Funny Car)
Busted!!! My eyes just skipped right over the TAFC and saw the "funny car" instead.
Old 3/13/08, 11:33 PM
Cobra Member

Corn based ethenol is just plain bad news. The ONLY people who will win on this are the corn growers due to the greatly increased corn prices. And before you start to think "at least the family farmer is making good", keep in mind that the vast majority of corn is grown by huge corporate farms these days.

If sugar ethanol was that cheap and plentiful, Brazil would be exporting that stuff as fast as they could. They do have enough to supply their own local needs, but look just how much acreage that takes. No WAY they would supply enough for the US. And we don't have the weather conditions to grow enough sugar cane in this country either.

The switch grass ethanol shows promise, but there are still huge hurtles to overcome. At least it is energy efficient (although I doubt it will be as efficient as the folks who want the government grants are SAYING it is!).

Of course, the real question I have is this: Why in the WORLD are we burning one single drop of any type of hydrocarbon to make electricity???? We have had the technology to generate every single electron of electricity without using any hydrocarbons (or coal for that matter) for the last 40 years. We just didn't have the will to get past the fear of the nasty "N" word.

Last edited by RRRoamer; 3/13/08 at 11:34 PM. Reason: spelling. My usual!
Old 3/14/08, 05:07 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RRRoamer
Of course, the real question I have is this: Why in the WORLD are we burning one single drop of any type of hydrocarbon to make electricity???? We have had the technology to generate every single electron of electricity without using any hydrocarbons (or coal for that matter) for the last 40 years. We just didn't have the will to get past the fear of the nasty "N" word.
Well US policy in trying to control the power and wealth in the middle east may have something to do with it, your lovely president has (as far as I understand) deep roots in the oil industry. But there again I wasn't intending to start any type of political argument here

On the contrary I just want a good clean, combustible fuel to run our Mustangs on...

Quick Reply: E85 Conversion