GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Dougs 93 race tune and cold weather.

Search this Thread

Old 11/27/07, 07:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Dougs 93 race tune and cold weather.

I never thought I would say this, but I'm wondering if this tune is too much for me. With the colder weather the car is an absolute beast.
If I nail it from dead stop, the wheels spin all the way through second gear. If I nail it from a rolling start, the wheels spin all the way through second gear. If I'm in second, nail it, and downshift into first, the wheels spin all the way through second gear.

In fact if I am at anywhere near 2/3 throttle shifting from 1st to second, the wheels break loose! It was a lot of fun up until I unexpectedly got the back end a little loose with my kids in the car the other day. I was not going fast at all, but the car shifted part way through the turn under acceleration and she got a bit squirrely. It was nowhere near out of control, but I felt the back end slide a bit.

If I'm doing anything but a straight line and hit that 1-2 shift even under moderate accelleration, I start getting sideways. I was actually thinking of asking Doug to soften the shift points up for me a bit. What do you guys do other then “watch it” when accelerating around corners?

Tim
Old 11/27/07, 08:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do a burnout to heat up the tires a bit and you'll be fine.
Old 11/27/07, 09:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Old 11/27/07, 11:03 PM

I usually run Doug's torque tune when daily driving, and save the race tune for the track. Actually, with winter here (already driven the car in the snow twice this month ) I just loaded the stock tune back in. Throttle lag isn't all bad when you're driving up a snowy canyon. Not much fun to drive, though, I may have to at least go back to the 87 performance tune.

Even with the torque tune, though, it's best to use a light foot on the throttle when you're not going straight. Unless you like to slide
Old 11/27/07, 11:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Id say just drive like a granny. bottom line anyway, is if its that icy or wet, you probably dont want to be driving wfo anyway, so just take ur steel toe boots off and toss on some slippers.

It was a little bit icy here this morning. I ofcourse had the tc on, but had no issues granny driving it. I did test it out and jumped on it a little bit, and sure, it slid out and spun like crazy and im running a 92 race tune.

strap some eggs to your pedal. if they break your pushing to hard, if they dont, u shouldnt have any problems.
Old 11/28/07, 07:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys, I don’t want to sound like an out of control fool with the car, I do spend most of my time in granny mode when driving. I just wonder if softening up the shift points a bit would reduce the wheel spin during shifts. I'm not talking about wet/snowey/icey roads, just dry ones.

Tim
Old 11/28/07, 08:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Are you running the stock tires? If so, I would get rid of them for a stickier tire. Even if you want to stay with an all-season tire, you can get one that will aid to the power you're putting down.
Old 11/28/07, 08:29 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Tim, I'm in the same boat you are. I'm running a JLT 93 octane "firm shift" tune, along with 4.10 gears and a stall converter that flashes to 4,300 rpm's on launch. Traction is OK at light throttle on dry pavement, but moderate throttle or more flashes the converter so easily that the tires spin. I have the factory 18" BFG G-Force KDWS tires which aren't horrible, but they're still not capable of containing the beast within.

Like you, from anywhere in 1st or 2nd on dry pavement I can give it some gas (not even necessarily full throttle) and the tires will spin all the way through 2nd. Also, if the ground is even slightly damp, and I punch it at 60 mph, the downshift into 3rd or 4th with the converter flash causes the tires to spin fast until I let off. My current tune disabled the factory traction control, so I'll be switching tunes for the winter to enable the t/c on/off switch for inclement weather soon.

I've always been a fan of 4-wheel steering (drifting) so I don't mind a powerslide here and there, but with the wife and kids in the car I really have to be on my guard not to dip into the throttle at all.
Old 11/28/07, 06:17 PM
GT Member

I got two words for you.."wider tires"

I had the same thing going on using Doug's race tune and the stock tires. I put on 275/45 18's on and I am not breaking loose as much. Although I don't drive through the winter. I would imagine it would suck in the snow with the wider tires on it.