GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Don't fool yourself

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/06, 07:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I've had my car lowered since the first week I got it last Febuary. I've done a ton of things since then supercharger, wheels, brakes, etc...,etc.... Even after I did all this I neglected to buy a strut and shock package. The ride/suspension always seemed like it was riding on the springs only without any help from the strut/shock package. (EIBACH PRO KIT SPRINGS) I decided to take the plunge and buy a set of Tokico D-specs adjustable struts and shocks. Lets say that happy is not the word, how bout ecstatic!! While the ride quality is not stock (never will be with a lowered car because you lose travel) it does have controlled smooth ride. It's not bouncy and it's not harsh, smooth and semi firm. i would compare it to the 350 Z I owned, sports car feel without losing your teeth. To add to this I can adjust them along with my Eibach sway bars to make the car understeer or oversteer.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is at least buy a strut/shock package that matches your lowering springs. You do not have to buy the Tokicos, although I would recommend them because you can adjust them to your style. I give this must do a huge [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Thanks Mike
Old 2/27/06, 07:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Glad to hear, what settings do you have the shocks at?
Old 2/27/06, 08:20 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JST4FN @ February 27, 2006, 8:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Well I've had my car lowered since the first week I got it last Febuary. I've done a ton of things since then supercharger, wheels, brakes, etc...,etc.... Even after I did all this I neglected to buy a strut and shock package. The ride/suspension always seemed like it was riding on the springs only without any help from the strut/shock package. (EIBACH PRO KIT SPRINGS) I decided to take the plunge and buy a set of Tokico D-specs adjustable struts and shocks. Lets say that happy is not the word, how bout ecstatic!! While the ride quality is not stock (never will be with a lowered car because you lose travel) it does have controlled smooth ride. It's not bouncy and it's not harsh, smooth and semi firm. i would compare it to the 350 Z I owned, sports car feel without losing your teeth. To add to this I can adjust them along with my Eibach sway bars to make the car understeer or oversteer.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is at least buy a strut/shock package that matches your lowering springs. You do not have to buy the Tokicos, although I would recommend them because you can adjust them to your style. I give this must do a huge [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Thanks Mike
[/b][/quote]

mike, i agree!!

i bought the frpp suspension kit and although the struts/shocks are NOT adjustable the package works!!

lets go road racing!!!

jay
Old 2/27/06, 09:18 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tkogt @ February 27, 2006, 9:23 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
mike, i agree!!
i bought the frpp suspension kit and although the struts/shocks are NOT adjustable the package works!!

lets go road racing!!!
jay
[/b][/quote]

I'm working on getting my car ready for that. The only problem is I really don't know where or what I can do? I don't care to be competitive, I just want to go out and enjoy myself and actually get some enjoyment out of the money I have spent. There's only one track that I know of in my area and it's roughly 150 miles away. If you have info how I can get started shoot me a pm.

Back on topic, my current settings are the recommended 5 frt/5 back. I had the front stiffer at a 4 today and it was fine. I'm just trying a few settings to see what I like. I also had the front sway bar at the middle position today and I will be driving with it in the front postion tomorrow so I can get a idea of how it affects the car. I'll post back in here tomorrow to let you know how the changes worked. It may oversteer a tad to much with the soft settings all around and the sway bar forward, we'll see.

Thanks Mike
Old 2/27/06, 09:37 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JST4FN @ February 27, 2006, 10:21 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'm working on getting my car ready for that. The only problem is I really don't know where or what I can do? I don't care to be competitive, I just want to go out and enjoy myself and actually get some enjoyment out of the money I have spent. There's only one track that I know of in my area and it's roughly 150 miles away. If you have info how I can get started shoot me a pm.

Back on topic,(??????????????????)

Thanks Mike
[/b][/quote]

mike ,my race car has adjustable coilovers at all 4 corners( and its a pain in the *ss to set up )

my point was to agree with you, that if you lower the car you should get dampners that work with the springs

and the only reason to lower the car is to go road racing!!!

if you want to get started show up to my 05+ road race school at midamericamotorplex this summer

jay
Old 2/27/06, 10:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

I didn't care for the stock damping before I ever changed springs. The Dspecs, while not the best shock/struts I've used, are quite good for under $500. 4 in front 5 in rear feels best on the street.

Mike,

What adj. swaybars do you have?
Old 2/27/06, 10:33 PM

I have the Eibach ProKit and was wandering how big a difference correct dampeners would make. Guess I know now. Was thinking about the FRPP, but the adjustables are sounding pretty nice....hmmmm.
Old 2/27/06, 11:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So if I have the Eibach Pro springs, what are the suggested complimentary parts to give me a substantial corner carver?
Old 2/28/06, 05:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

The Eibach lowers the car a lot more than the Steeda or, in my case, cutting the spring to lower it approx. an inch. I wonder how much new struts/shocks would affect the ride on a car which was not lowered by an extreme amount like the Eibach kit does.

My car seems to ride pretty good, although when hitting bumps I do have a bit more noise from the rear than I did before.
Old 2/28/06, 06:02 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05BlackGT @ February 27, 2006, 11:04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I didn't care for the stock damping before I ever changed springs. The Dspecs, while not the best shock/struts I've used, are quite good for under $500. 4 in front 5 in rear feels best on the street.

Mike,

What adj. swaybars do you have?
[/b][/quote]

I have the Eibach kit. The front sway bar is the only one you can adjust. It's real easy and can be adjusted without pulling the wheel off. Jack the car up, reach around the backside of the tire, loosen the nut , swap holes and on to the other side. (make sure you use a jack stand or possibly two jacks in case the first jack lets go so you want cut your arm off if the car falls) Both this and the D specs were done this weekend. I feel like I have a new car again [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tkogt @ February 27, 2006, 10:40 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
mike ,my race car has adjustable coilovers at all 4 corners( and its a pain in the *ss to set up )

my point was to agree with you, that if you lower the car you should get dampners that work with the springs

and the only reason to lower the car is to go road racing!!!

if you want to get started show up to my 05+ road race school at midamericamotorplex this summer

jay
[/b][/quote]

We'll see if I can get the time off. I'd love to get involved. I've always been a drag racer because that is the only thing offered close to home. However my passion lies in turning left and right [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 3/1/06, 06:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Well I tried a couple settings on the D-specs and I thought I'd share them for those that have them. It looks like for the street, driving comfort and sport handling, that the 4-5 turns out from full stiff is the way to go. As a matter of fact the 5 rear, 4 front, felt real nice, but because of the roads I drive on I had to stiffen the rear up. I'm going to split the difference and go with a 4.5 rear. The 4 I'm on currently is just a tad stiff while the 5 was a tad soft.

As far as the front goes, adjusting the sway bar to full stiff hurt my ride and really did nothing for street driving. I'm sure at the track this setting would be great, but on the street the middle setting is best. So until I get the bar changed back I don't know were I'm going to end up here, however I'm also going to try 4.5 turns to see were that gets me.

So to sum it up, 4-5 turns from full stiff will be the best area for street driving. Your roads may dictate a stiffer or looser setting, but that will be up to you.

Thanks Mike