GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Does anyone have an X pipe

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/06, 01:17 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have an X pipe

I was wondering if anyone has an X pipe for their 2005 Mustang GT... can you please tell me what brand you have, the price and where you got it if you don't mind, and most importantly, if you like it or not (in terms of how loud is it, did you receive anymore performance, etc...)

Thanks a lot!!
Old 5/26/06, 02:22 PM
FR500 Member

i do...i have the pypes offroad-x. i did my research and i liked the x more than the h. i got it for $150 shipped off of RPMoutlet.com. i do like it but the thing u will hear is the trumpeting at around 2500 rpms. this is unavoidable with offroads. if u get a high flow-x with cats it wont make the trumpeting noise. i have also the flowmaster american thunder axle-backs. its the perfect set-up because u can hear it at cruise but its not obnoxiously loud, and at WOT....let me tell u it SCREAMS!!!!!!!...performance wise, i noticed the car was more "ready to go" when i downshifted. it benefits in the top end. when i raced my brother in his mach 1 i noticed closer to redline i pulled harder. but at lower RPM's we were dead even till i hit like 4000. personally im happy with the setup. it sounds like a true muscle car. my dad said when he heard it, he was shocked because not only did the car look retro, it sounded it too
Old 5/27/06, 08:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

i have the off road H pipe. You will get slightly more pwoer on the X but it will sound a bit raspier than the H. the H is deeper and more of a muscle car sound. you have to choose really which sound you wnt to go for, either a race car sound or a deep rumble muscle car sound
Old 5/27/06, 04:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RaGsHoCkEy88
i do...i have the pypes offroad-x. i did my research and i liked the x more than the h. i got it for $150 shipped off of RPMoutlet.com. i do like it but the thing u will hear is the trumpeting at around 2500 rpms. this is unavoidable with offroads. if u get a high flow-x with cats it wont make the trumpeting noise. i have also the flowmaster american thunder axle-backs. its the perfect set-up because u can hear it at cruise but its not obnoxiously loud, and at WOT....let me tell u it SCREAMS!!!!!!!...performance wise, i noticed the car was more "ready to go" when i downshifted. it benefits in the top end. when i raced my brother in his mach 1 i noticed closer to redline i pulled harder. but at lower RPM's we were dead even till i hit like 4000. personally im happy with the setup. it sounds like a true muscle car. my dad said when he heard it, he was shocked because not only did the car look retro, it sounded it too
You have the exact set up as me for exhaust. The trumpeting is a bit of a pain but at WOT it just sings. I have had many compliments on the sound at autocross events. Definately more top end power.
Old 5/27/06, 11:08 PM
FR500 Member

the reason why i got the x was cuz of the slightly more power. it took a while to get used the setup but the only problem with mine is i installed it and i didnt do it too well soo it sqeaks. and there is an exhaust leak soo im getting it welded where the x meets the stock over axle pipes. im happy with it tho

im glad someone has the same set-up and can back me up. i definitely felt a difference power wise. but it is more raspy...i heard the welding helps tho
Old 5/28/06, 09:40 AM
V6 Member

Ok, I've had a lot of issues with annoying noises from my car (you can see my last few posts prior to this one on this website) and finally got them fixed, so the last thing I'd want is the trumpeting noise or anything similar after installing the X pipe... so you say to buy a high-flo X pipe to avoid the trumpeting sound? Which one do you recommend? Will this be a deep rumble or more race car sound? Thanks again
Old 5/28/06, 05:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a Bassani X-pipe. I installed it witout the cats. It is kinda loud. As far as muflers I still use the stock mufflers. I did not feel a need to pay for mufflers when they don't add to the performance. I was at a dyno day with some 03 & 04 Cobra owners and they all liked the sound.

As far as trumpeting, I am not sure what that is. At around 2800 rpms if I let off the gas, it cackles some. I actually like that. It sounds great in the tunnels.

As far as the straight legs, i am getting annoyed by the fumes. It is not bad when you are actually driving, but you are not allowed to in Pittsburgh. Too many stop lights and slow people. So when you are going slow or at a stop light, the fumes do get annoying, espeically in the garage when you are parking.
Old 5/29/06, 01:15 PM
FR500 Member

the fumes r my last concern. the high flow x pipes have cats...any one will do but i hear SLP has some sick sets. anyways a true x-pipe sounds more like a race car i guess but it provides a great sound. great old muscle car sound. true offroads r the way to go tho definitely
Old 5/30/06, 06:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kluski
I have a Bassani X-pipe. I installed it witout the cats. It is kinda loud. As far as muflers I still use the stock mufflers. I did not feel a need to pay for mufflers when they don't add to the performance. I was at a dyno day with some 03 & 04 Cobra owners and they all liked the sound.

As far as trumpeting, I am not sure what that is. At around 2800 rpms if I let off the gas, it cackles some. I actually like that. It sounds great in the tunnels.

As far as the straight legs, i am getting annoyed by the fumes. It is not bad when you are actually driving, but you are not allowed to in Pittsburgh. Too many stop lights and slow people. So when you are going slow or at a stop light, the fumes do get annoying, espeically in the garage when you are parking.
Ran the Bassini X-Pipe and Straight Pipes with a Roush Offroad Axleback and yes, it sounds racy and loud. But, only when you get on it and the Roush Axleback made it sound deeper. She gets "peppier" past 3000 rpm and the fumes are noticeable, but only while idling for a while at a light.
Old 5/30/06, 09:52 AM
Bullitt Member

I run the Bassani X-Pipe with the high flow cats with flowmasters. I love the sound & picked up a little more power to boot. I tried an offroad H first, but the trumpeting was too horrible to bear.
Old 5/30/06, 10:12 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by y22kc
I run the Bassani X-Pipe with the high flow cats with flowmasters. I love the sound & picked up a little more power to boot. I tried an offroad H first, but the trumpeting was too horrible to bear.
Hi there

How exactly does this trumpeting sound? Do H-Pipes cause more trumpeting than X-pipes?

So X-Pipes make slightly more power than?

Whats the best X-Pipe to get then and one thats cheap that has the option of slipping on and off CATs?
Old 5/30/06, 11:09 AM
FR500 Member

gibbo, its really hard to answer...the best way to find out is shopping around....trumpeting can usually be heard around 2500 rpms and its just like a loud, raspy sound, it doesnt do anything specifically, it just makes noise
Old 5/30/06, 12:22 PM

Trumpeting can be described in a number of ways, but it is an annoying "bap-bap-bap-bap-bap" sound like a cropduster. And it occurs most noticably under partial throttle at the middle rpms (2500-3000). I was embarassed to drive the car like that.
Old 5/31/06, 02:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Gibbo_UK
Hi there

How exactly does this trumpeting sound? Do H-Pipes cause more trumpeting than X-pipes?

So X-Pipes make slightly more power than?

Whats the best X-Pipe to get then and one thats cheap that has the option of slipping on and off CATs?
X-pipes typically make more power gains than the H.

Bassini is the only one i know of that makes an 05/06 setup with removable cats. As i too wanted the option to replace the straight pipe with them at any time.
Old 5/31/06, 04:58 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Stangette
X-pipes typically make more power gains than the H.

Bassini is the only one i know of that makes an 05/06 setup with removable cats. As i too wanted the option to replace the straight pipe with them at any time.
Hi

You got the Bassini in your car? What you think to them?

Are Bassini good, any happy customers here or seen/heard good results from their setups?
Old 5/31/06, 08:47 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the Pypes O/R X and Mac axlebacks....experience the same trumpeting at 2 and a half, but swithced to Bamachips tune and it wasnt as bad...however, now that I put in my 3000 stall converter, acceleration is "looser" and I'm in the dreaded "Trumpet Zone" a little longer than I like to be...

no biggie though. nobody messes with me and I kinda expected it to be louder as soon as i changed ANYTHING about the exhaust...
Old 5/31/06, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Machine
I have the Pypes O/R X and Mac axlebacks....experience the same trumpeting at 2 and a half, but swithced to Bamachips tune and it wasnt as bad...however, now that I put in my 3000 stall converter, acceleration is "looser" and I'm in the dreaded "Trumpet Zone" a little longer than I like to be...

no biggie though. nobody messes with me and I kinda expected it to be louder as soon as i changed ANYTHING about the exhaust...
I like loud, too (just click the open header video link in my sig for proof); but the trumpeting was more than loud. It was just a nasty (dare I say ricey) sound.
Old 6/1/06, 06:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Gibbo_UK
Hi

You got the Bassini in your car? What you think to them?

Are Bassini good, any happy customers here or seen/heard good results from their setups?
She has all Bassini SS offroad pipes all the way to the back with the Jack Roush offroad axlebacks. Not loud at all upon mild acceleration, but, hit it at all and the entire neighbourhood wakes up. Loud enough and also nasty, Neighbours across the street rolled over one Saturday afternoon to find me leaving and stopped me to ask what the noise was.

I like Bassini, but one has to be easy on them most of the time due to the DB level. Noticed right away the power difference in the mid to upper ranges. There is an option to install straight pipe section off the headers or run the cats in their place. She was running a bit fat aven after the CAI, and the Bassini took care of it with no air adjustment needed after measuring it.
Old 6/1/06, 07:24 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Stangette
She has all Bassini SS offroad pipes all the way to the back with the Jack Roush offroad axlebacks. Not loud at all upon mild acceleration, but, hit it at all and the entire neighbourhood wakes up. Loud enough and also nasty, Neighbours across the street rolled over one Saturday afternoon to find me leaving and stopped me to ask what the noise was.

I like Bassini, but one has to be easy on them most of the time due to the DB level. Noticed right away the power difference in the mid to upper ranges. There is an option to install straight pipe section off the headers or run the cats in their place. She was running a bit fat aven after the CAI, and the Bassini took care of it with no air adjustment needed after measuring it.
Thanks for the info I've been eying up the Bassini LT Headers and their matching X-Pipe with CATs.
What I like best is I've had a couple of people tell me that they are easy to fit and don't require engine mounts or the engine lifting. How did you find fitting?
Plus what do you mean by running a bit fat aven after CAI? So did the Bassini fix something?

Thanks m8!

Andy
Old 6/1/06, 07:25 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by don_w
I like loud, too (just click the open header video link in my sig for proof); but the trumpeting was more than loud. It was just a nasty (dare I say ricey) sound.
I've just listened to your header video m8 and OH MY GOD! That sounds truly awsome. How have you made the car sound like that?

Quick Reply: Does anyone have an X pipe