GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Do stingers Drone?

Search this Thread

Old 6/4/08, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do stingers Drone?

Anyone w/ FRPP/Borla Stingers, can you tell me if they drone at highway RPMs. If so, how bad. Also, do you think dynamat in the trunk will help w/ drone? Thanks in advance
Old 6/4/08, 09:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes. How bad depends on Speed/RPM's. If you go 65-70 not to bad. Higher than that it get's a little louder. With that said a long trip (anything over an hour) might get irratating unless you have music playing. It really depends on how sensitive you are to noise. If you want luxury car type of quiet don't get them. Before spending $500 I'd say find someone local and have them take you for a spin. I've got an O/R H and Stingers and I'm happy with them though. With that said whenever I'm on the freeway I've got the stereo blasting. Dynamat will only help slightly.

FYI-The wife hate's it and get's complains about it anytime were in the car for more than half an hour.
Old 6/4/08, 12:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the prochamber, so it would be obviouslly loud. I think with what you just said. The GTA's or the Pypes mid muffler system are my next options. I'm waiting on responses about the PMM about drone. I sometimes take longer trips so drone would suck. I hear the GTA's do not have drone. And are a little louder than stock. So mixed w/ the prochamber, should be a nice bet.
Old 6/4/08, 12:22 PM
V6 Member

I used to have the stingers. Drone quite a bit at 1800-2200rpm's or so. I also had Dynamat in my trunk. Recently intalled the GTA's. Pretty happy, no drone, tips are worth the price alone. FYI I measured the difference between the stock mufflers and the GTA's and the interior noise was 5 db greater with the GTA's
Old 6/4/08, 12:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Borla's Stinger were my first muffler. Yes they drone pretty bad between 1800-2100 rpm
Old 6/4/08, 01:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeppers, they drone. Took them off and re-installed the Flowmasters I had laying around. I do love the sound of the Stingers though...but the drone took it's toll.
Old 6/4/08, 01:26 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Yes they drone, just drop a gear or speed up out of the drone range everything is fine. Honestly I have LT headers with my stingers so a little drone doesn't bother me. I won't change a thing.
Old 6/4/08, 03:34 PM
Bullitt Member

They do sound awesome. I heard some clips w/ them w/ the prochamber. I am stuck between now on the GTAs and the pypes mid muffler system. About the same price, but the GTA's are a LOT easier to install.
Old 6/4/08, 03:48 PM
Cobra Member

Yes they drone but as you can see by the replies each person varies with how they perceive annoying and loud.

I personally have them and am not bothered by it one bit and can in fact drive around that RPM range they drone in very easily.
Old 6/4/08, 05:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
They droan. I take it out of over drive on slower roads to reduce the sound. I just try to stay out of the 1800-2100 RPM range. I kept my stock axel backs for long trips.
Old 6/4/08, 07:59 PM

yep, drone the worst right at 2000 rpm. Luckily on my car (auto) the gearing takes it over 2k and the drone disappears. My car is really quite at anything over 68-69 mph.

Fwiw, it doesn't bother me, after years of driving Toyota's it's nice to know there's some substance under the hood.
Old 6/4/08, 08:09 PM
Cobra Member

For some reason might don't drone any longer, after 3K of miles maybe they've broken in some.

They sound so sweet that even if there was a drone I would have them installed, they sound he best out of all the options I've heard.
Old 6/4/08, 11:56 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My stingers did drone a bit. Crusing around town it did not bother me ( I kinda likes it) but while on the highway for a period of time it got to me...
Old 6/5/08, 01:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

the drone between 1800-2000 was really bad at highway speeds. dynamatting the trunk helped a great deal, but it was still there. i would still get out after long drives and be worn down. next, i dynamatted under the rear seat. that did the trick. still had the great exhaust sound and the drone was very under control.

however, if you want to completely eliminate the drone, do what i did and get a turbo.
Old 6/5/08, 01:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Any time you are around 1800 to 2500 rpms, they drone.
Old 6/5/08, 03:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok, thanks guys. I'm talked out of them lol
Old 6/5/08, 06:55 AM

Love my GTAs. No drone. Loud enough when I get on it. Meatier idle than stock. Perfect size 4" double-walled tips.
Old 6/5/08, 07:23 AM
nm3
Legacy TMS Member

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Redfireshaker06
Ok, thanks guys. I'm talked out of them lol
Sorry to hear that. While I'm in agreement with the masses, IMO they do drone a little bit. The key here is everyones tolerance to the sound is greatly varied. Would I give up my FRPP/Borlas? Not without a fight. To me the sound is perfect.

My cousin just got a Neuspeed Stainless Steel exhaust for his VW R32 and while it sounded good outside the car, inside the car the drone was intolerable for me. I drove around a parking lot in the car and I couldn't wait to get out.

The sound (drone to some) inside the Mustang is no where near this level of annoyance, to me.

My point being each person has their own tolerance and by not trying or at least going for a ride in a car with the FRPP/Borlas you are really missing out on a great sounding system.
Old 6/5/08, 08:52 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by nm3
Sorry to hear that. While I'm in agreement with the masses, IMO they do drone a little bit. The key here is everyones tolerance to the sound is greatly varied. Would I give up my FRPP/Borlas? Not without a fight. To me the sound is perfect.

My cousin just got a Neuspeed Stainless Steel exhaust for his VW R32 and while it sounded good outside the car, inside the car the drone was intolerable for me. I drove around a parking lot in the car and I couldn't wait to get out.

The sound (drone to some) inside the Mustang is no where near this level of annoyance, to me.

My point being each person has their own tolerance and by not trying or at least going for a ride in a car with the FRPP/Borlas you are really missing out on a great sounding system.
Totally agree

I was saddened that you chose not to install the FRPP stingers, they are the best IMHO and there are many here who have them installed (like TacoBill for instance)

Good luck
Old 6/5/08, 03:49 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The stingers are a great exhaust. They did drone at certain highway speeds but other than that they were great... If the window was down the drone sounded good IMO..

Quick Reply: Do stingers Drone?