GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Do I Need An Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 11/28/06, 10:16 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got that info via the circuitus (sp?) route of getting a Paxton installed on my car. The Paxton kits are identical to the Vortech kits with the obvious exception that Paxton uses an air/air intercooler while Vortech uses air/liquid. Anyways you'll find the Paxton site has much more info on the different supercharger units included with the standard and high output kits. Paxton brands the base supercharger as the Novi 1200 and it is smaller in both dimensions and capacity than the Novi 2200 which is included in the high output kit. Since this is essentially a clone of the Vortech I make the safe (I hope) assumption that the Vortech S/C's are different in the same way (if you get my drift).

One other note Sonic; if you're thinking of upgrading in the future, the low output system is the wrong choice, not just because it has a smaller S/C without an intercooler, but also because it comes with none of the other necessary add-ons that you'll need when you go for more hp, i.e.; fuel pump, injectors, MAFia...
Old 11/29/06, 01:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2005sonicgt
How hard where you driving it, are you sure it blew from not having an intercooler.
1st and only time at the track. At WOT it started dentonating and shattered 5 pistons which sent 2 rods thru my pretty Teskid block. I had just increased the boost from 6-7 lbs to 10 - 12 lbs. The intercooler will help reduce the chances of denotation greatly. This engine can NOT take detontion for even a couple of seconds. They go BOOM! My KenneBell supercharger did not have a intercooler on it.
Scott
Old 11/29/06, 05:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
1st and only time at the track. At WOT it started dentonating and shattered 5 pistons which sent 2 rods thru my pretty Teskid block. I had just increased the boost from 6-7 lbs to 10 - 12 lbs. The intercooler will help reduce the chances of denotation greatly. This engine can NOT take detontion for even a couple of seconds. They go BOOM! My KenneBell supercharger did not have a intercooler on it.
Scott

Man that sucks Scott...... maybe it happened years ago but I still feel for you!!!
Old 11/29/06, 07:09 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you should get an intercooled system. If you want to play it safe save up an extra grand and get the Saleen supercharger. I have seen where you can get it for about 4,500 dollars if you are patient. Mine only puts out 5psi of boost and the intercooler keeps my discharge temperature right around 100 degrees F when it is about 80 degrees F outside. I am getting 435hp at the block and putting down 370hp at the wheels. They sell an upgrade kit to boost it to 475 now but I am happy with what I got and it is safe for the motor. I have trounced it with the Saleen Blower many times with no problems. The engine idles smooth and runs great under normal conditions. I had a centrifugal blower in a 95 GT and I had lots of surge problems. Get with a screwed blower and you will never go back. The boost is instant on!
Old 11/29/06, 07:32 AM
GT Member

I have been researching blowers and intercoolers for months, and I have decided that there is no way in Hell that I am going to bolt a non-intercooled blower onto this particular engine. I only wish I had the time and the dough to open her up and swap out the pistons and rods with something beefier.

The stock rotating assembly in this engine is extremely weak in comparison to other modern engines. Keep that in mind when you start asking for extra power that comes with a risk of detonation.

No worse feeling than spending $3,500 on the engine, only to have it blow and cost you another $6k!

I'll be going with a Saleen intercooled twin screw.
Old 11/29/06, 10:07 AM
Banned

You can go to superchargersonline.com and they have a technical support section that explains the benefits of an intercooler in detail. They also give a detailed advantages vs disadvantages breakdown in reference to positive displacement and centrifugal superchargers.
Old 11/29/06, 11:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Man that sucks Scott...... maybe it happened years ago but I still feel for you!!!
Yeah your right. It did suck. That happened in March of 1999 it cost me $6,000 to replace to stock short block. Not much in the way of forged internals available back then. That's why every time this subject comes up I try to warn guys to take it easy and be smart when supercharging these engines. Learn from us old farts mistakes and not your own. Could save you some big bucks. I think 2005sonicgt missed my original point ... spend the extra $1000 now and not the $6000 later.
Scott
Old 11/29/06, 11:34 AM
Banned

When it comes to supercharging I don't understand why people want to be greedy. Unless you are drag racing for money and have sponsers why do you need 600hp. Once you go over 400hp you pretty much can beat anything on the streets.
Old 11/29/06, 02:17 PM
Cobra Member

I didn't know you could upgrade to the intercooler later, that's awesome. What psi where you running without the intercooler? The cheapest I have seen just the supercharger is 3,500. I also already have the tuner so where ever I buy it I was going to try and work something out with that. What could your buddy do, thank's
I was running at about 6 psi with the non cooled kit. If you want send me a PM and I will give you all his contact information etc. to get the kit. I am sure he can save you a bit more $$$...Chris
Old 11/29/06, 03:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by mustang_lurkers
When it comes to supercharging I don't understand why people want to be greedy. Unless you are drag racing for money and have sponsers why do you need 600hp. Once you go over 400hp you pretty much can beat anything on the streets.
Even Z06 Vettes and Porsche Carreras??

I agree it's easy to get greedy about the hp. It's like an addiction. Personally, my ultimate goal is for 500+rwhp, but on upgraded internals, drivetrain, etc. I think for the time being, I'd be happy with the 400+ rwhp provided by the twin screw setups.
Old 11/29/06, 08:06 PM
Cobra Member

Dude I have no idea what that means please explain.
The charge air coming out of the blower, turbo or what ever you are using to compress it, heats up during the compression process. Depending on the boost level and efficency of the compressor it can get really hot. As high as 350 deg F or more. When you cool the charge air (say by 200 deg F) it gets denser (more mass flow) and can net approximately 20% more delivered power. End result is more HP and lower temperatures, better reliability.
Old 11/30/06, 06:59 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank's to all for shedding the light, I still don't know what i'm gonna do
Old 11/30/06, 08:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thank's to all for shedding the light, I still don't know what i'm gonna do
Well, I ran 10 psi on my '95 GT with a Kenne Bell. I spent quite a bit of time tuning it on the dyno to make sure I had everything right. It was not intercooled (no option for that on the 302 engines). I didn't have detonation problems and ran it for years without an issue. Most of the time I ran the 8 psi pulley. It is in the tune, and you better have a safe tune in case you get a bad tank of gas or some other contamination through your air or fuel system. If you get a good combo and are very conservative, you shouldn't NEED an intercooler.

That being said, if I buy a supercharger for my 2006 GT, it will be intercooled. Do you know how much I worried about detonation??? Eeeek. The last year I owned that car, I ran N/A. I really enjoyed it because I knew I could beat the crap out of it and not worry about it. Peace of mind...worth the extra $$$.
Old 11/30/06, 08:59 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

If I go non-intercooled i'm going to only run it at about 6 psi ( that should be safe right). Anybody know what kind of hp I could ge around there?
Old 11/30/06, 09:39 PM
Cobra Member

Adam, you will be right about 350 at the tire with the non IC system. This is where I was originally at with my system and the canned tune that came with the kit.
Old 11/30/06, 10:03 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Thank's subzero, that sound's pretty safe to me. What are you at now with the intercooler?
Old 12/1/06, 02:15 PM
Cobra Member

Well I have a custom tune now , LT's etc.. 431 at the tire right now.
Old 12/1/06, 02:55 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
The intercooler will help reduce the chances of denotation greatly. This engine can NOT take detontion for even a couple of seconds. They go BOOM!
Scott
This is the main reason to get the intercooler.

Forget about power, you'll have plenty of it. You DO NOT want to have any detonation!

Hold off and save up until you can afford the I/C kit! You will not regret it.

Besides, once you throw the blower on, you'll be spending your money on supporting mods (suspension, brakes, radiator, etc...) so you don't want to have to upgrade the blower too, do you?
Old 12/1/06, 05:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by S197 GT

Forget about power, you'll have plenty of it. You DO NOT want to have any detonation!

Besides, once you throw the blower on, you'll be spending your money on supporting mods (suspension, brakes, radiator, etc...) so you don't want to have to upgrade the blower too, do you?

Scott
Old 12/1/06, 06:20 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by S197 GT

I have the money for the intercooler , I just don't think I want 400 rwhp. I would be really happy with 350rwhp, that's my whole point on not wanting the intercooler because I don't think I would need it with 350 at the wheels. If I want more power later I will get the intercooler................. can you smell what i'm cookin?

Quick Reply: Do I Need An Intercooler