GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Do I Need An Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 11/28/06, 05:52 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do I Need An Intercooler

I am really thinking about getting the vortech s-trim and I was wondering if I absolutely need the intercooler. I can get it without the intercooler for 3,500 which means I could get blown pretty soon. I know how much benefit you get out of the intercooler but I would love to save thaty extra 1k. Is anybody running their car without the intercooler. Other than making the intake overheat what else happens without it. I am not going to be driving the car super hard but I will be getting on it sometimes. Give me all you got

-Adam
Old 11/28/06, 05:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2005sonicgt
I am really thinking about getting the vortech s-trim and I was wondering if I absolutely need the intercooler. I can get it without the intercooler for 3,500 which means I could get blown pretty soon. I know how much benefit you get out of the intercooler but I would love to save thaty extra 1k. Is anybody running their car without the intercooler. Other than making the intake overheat what else happens without it. I am not going to be driving the car super hard but I will be getting on it sometimes. Give me all you got

-Adam
Well,
A new engine will cost you at least $5,000. I blew up a 96 Cobra 4V with a KB supercharger that was NOT intercooled and it cost $6,000 in 1999. You be the judge.
Scott
Old 11/28/06, 06:41 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
use methanol
Old 11/28/06, 07:10 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Well,
A new engine will cost you at least $5,000. I blew up a 96 Cobra 4V with a KB supercharger that was NOT intercooled and it cost $6,000 in 1999. You be the judge.
Scott
How hard where you driving it, are you sure it blew from not having an intercooler.
Old 11/28/06, 07:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
every 10 deg drop in charge air is worth about 1% HP increase
Old 11/28/06, 07:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

if it's tuned safely, then you should be fine.
Old 11/28/06, 07:33 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by RadBOSS
every 10 deg drop in charge air is worth about 1% HP increase
Dude I have no idea what that means please explain.
Old 11/28/06, 07:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Get the 'cooler. Some people will point out that you'll get more power, which is true. But more importantly IMO, you'll get that extra power more safely.

Think of it like this: when you start forcing air into your engine, you're creating additional heat. Over and beyond that, think about how much additional heat you're adding when that forced air is not cooled, but already hot when it's being forced in there. Engine killers: detonation, excessive heat, excessive RPM, exceeding mechanical limits. You can help limit the chance of detonation by running a safe tune with high octane; you can control the amount of RPM by the tune and rev limiter; you can control the mechanical limit by keeping the amount of boost at a safe level; but how you gonna control heat?

Get the 'cooler.
Old 11/28/06, 07:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Dude I have no idea what that means please explain.
If you reduce the incoming air temp by 10 degrees, you get an additional 1 percent increase in hp. So with a 'cooler if you reduce the intake temperature by 50 degrees, you'll get a 5% increase in power. So if you're at 450 horse, you would then be at about 474 at the same boost level.

I don't know if the "10 for 1" ratio is correct, but I think that is what RadBOSS means.
Old 11/28/06, 07:43 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

What if I only drive when it's cool outside j/k. The blower doesn't kick in until at a certain rpm right. With normal day to day driving everything should be the same correct.
Old 11/28/06, 07:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

What if I only drive when it's cool outside j/k. The blower doesn't kick in until at a certain rpm right. With normal day to day driving everything should be the same correct.
Normal day to day driving would be about the same..... assuming you drive it the same way. Me, no way I could. I'd be getting into the boost quicker than getting into bed with [insert name of hot chick here].
Old 11/28/06, 07:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How hard where you driving it, are you sure it blew from not having an intercooler.
Study what an intercooler does to lessen stress on an engine whether it be turbo or supercharger and you will understand. In short, spend the money for the intercooler.
Old 11/28/06, 07:59 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

[quote=tom281;789233]Normal day to day driving would be about the same..... assuming you drive it the same way. Me, no way I could. I'd be getting into the boost quicker than getting into bed with Scarlett Johanssonhttp://images.google.com/images?q=tb...ansson_009.jpghttp://images.google.com/images?q=tb...n-cleavage.jpg http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...on_291968.jpg, sorry couldn't help myself
Old 11/28/06, 08:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

[quote=2005sonicgt;789241]
Originally Posted by tom281
Normal day to day driving would be about the same..... assuming you drive it the same way. Me, no way I could. I'd be getting into the boost quicker than getting into bed with Scarlett Johanssonhttp://images.google.com/images?q=tb...ansson_009.jpghttp://images.google.com/images?q=tb...n-cleavage.jpg http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...on_291968.jpg, sorry couldn't help myself

Nice choice...... I'm going alittle old school- http://www.jenny-mccarthy.com/pics/pics01/jennym07.html
http://www.jenny-mccarthy.com/pics/pics01/jenny204.html
Old 11/28/06, 08:06 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I'll take em both!
Old 11/28/06, 08:46 PM
Cobra Member

Get the cooler if you can swing it.. But, i will say I had the vortech on my car originally with out the cooler and it ran great!.. no issues whatsoever. I only upgraded to the cooler because Vortech helped me out with the upgrade and I couldn't pass up the deal. Also, the car has MUCH more power with the cooler and more aggressive tuning. But, you can always upgrade later..The car responds great either way!.. Also, I can likely beat any price you get on the vortech kit as my best friend is a master dealer for them and also does all their special "project cars" . Let me know if I can help and save you a bit more $$$
Old 11/28/06, 09:05 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by subzero05
Get the cooler if you can swing it.. But, i will say I had the vortech on my car originally with out the cooler and it ran great!.. no issues whatsoever. I only upgraded to the cooler because Vortech helped me out with the upgrade and I couldn't pass up the deal. Also, the car has MUCH more power with the cooler and more aggressive tuning. But, you can always upgrade later..The car responds great either way!.. Also, I can likely beat any price you get on the vortech kit as my best friend is a master dealer for them and also does all their special "project cars" . Let me know if I can help and save you a bit more $$$
I didn't know you could upgrade to the intercooler later, that's awesome. What psi where you running without the intercooler? The cheapest I have seen just the supercharger is 3,500. I also already have the tuner so where ever I buy it I was going to try and work something out with that. What could your buddy do, thank's
Old 11/28/06, 09:10 PM
V6 Member

I'm surprised no one hasn't pointed this out, but this isn't a reliability issue at all. Vortech has already taken the technical concerns into account and have reduced the output of the non-intercooled kit to equalize the reliability of the intercooled/non-intercooled kits. The non-intercooled kit has a smaller supercharger that pumps out less psi and less heat. So if you're okay with the lesser power output and you're not planning future upgrades go with the lighter, cheaper, simpler non-intercooled S-Trim kit. Simple.
Old 11/28/06, 09:12 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by Hubec
I'm surprised no one hasn't pointed this out, but this isn't a reliability issue at all. Vortech has already taken the technical concerns into account and have reduced the output of the non-intercooled kit to equalize the reliability of the intercooled/non-intercooled kits. The non-intercooled kit has a smaller supercharger that pumps out less psi and less heat. So if you're okay with the lesser power output and you're not planning future upgrades go with the lighter, cheaper, simpler non-intercooled S-Trim kit. Simple.
So does that mean if I went with this kit I could not upgrade to the intercooler later.
Old 11/28/06, 09:22 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Not that I don't believe you Hubec , but where did you get that info.

Quick Reply: Do I Need An Intercooler