GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Dislikes of 4.10s

Search this Thread

Old 11/1/06, 07:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dislikes of 4.10s

Has any1 gotten 4.10s and wish they hadn't? I know the majority of those who got them, say they wouldn't get anytihng else...but I think that's mostly coming from those who don't use them as daily drivers or have along way to go down the highway each morning.
Old 11/1/06, 08:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Daily driver here, FRPP 4.10's for over a year now and wouldn't have it any other way. One of the best bangs for the buck out there, just choose your installer very carefully. A crappy install can make the difference between a smile and a frown when you leave the shop.
Old 11/1/06, 08:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MTAS
Daily driver here, FRPP 4.10's for over a year now and wouldn't have it any other way. One of the best bangs for the buck out there, just choose your installer very carefully. A crappy install can make the difference between a smile and a frown when you leave the shop.
How is it when u drive normally? Just from a stoplight and cruising? If you really go easy is it like you don't have any gears at all until you nail the gas? What's it like if you go 1/4 throttle in first? Just trying to get an idea of how normal driving will be...I'm worried about crazy shifting and 0 traction.

I planned on going to Evolution Performance for a gear installation, if IGet 4.10s...know anything about him? I hear he's very good.
Old 11/1/06, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

I got the 410's about a month a go. Love them. Next to the CAI intake this gives you the best bang for your buck. I think you lose some top end hp but the seat in your pants feeling off the line mmore than makes up for it.
Old 11/1/06, 09:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tw0scoops123
How is it when u drive normally? Just from a stoplight and cruising? If you really go easy is it like you don't have any gears at all until you nail the gas? What's it like if you go 1/4 throttle in first? Just trying to get an idea of how normal driving will be...I'm worried about crazy shifting and 0 traction.

I planned on going to Evolution Performance for a gear installation, if IGet 4.10s...know anything about him? I hear he's very good.
Full throttle in first, with the stock skinny **** tires Fuggedaboutit!!! I noticed that the car seemed easier to drive around town. Not as much shifting and the 4.10's really seemed to jive well with the transmission ratios when upshifting. Basically the car will be easier to drive (or IMO it was), and you'll be grinning from ear to ear when you mash it to the flo! I don't know anythnig about Evo, sorry. My gear installer was actually featured in 5.0 magazine a few months back, doing a 4.30 gear install on an 05 at BMR's shop here in Tampa
Old 11/1/06, 10:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

The only negative I have seen is the gas mileage hit, a few MPG on the freeway, and 1 or 2 in-town under normal driving. I drive mine every day (Automatic) and I like it. I'm not convinced that it's actually much quicker than the stock gears, but it sure does feel alot more peppy and fun.

You'll still have plenty of traction, don't worry. I'm on stock tires and stock suspension, and I haven't noticed much of a difference in tration issues on a good solid clean dry road. With the automatic (running a conservative tune for 87 octain) my tires hardly make a squeek when I floor it from a stop. I'm sure dumping from 4k on a manual would roast the tires however.
Old 11/1/06, 11:11 AM
GT Member

I'm curious about how 4.10'a affect 1/4 mile times with the manual tranny.

It is my understanding that you can get some good times with stock gears by staying in 3rd gear through the traps. That would not likely be possible with 4.10 gears- so now you're shifting the car one more time in the 1/4 mile. What says you?
Old 11/1/06, 11:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've read in a few places that hurt the 1/4 mile time. I think it read that in Mustang 5.0 mag. I'm leaning towards 3.73 now...plus that leaves me open for a S/C in the future if I decide to go that road...
Old 11/1/06, 11:53 AM
V6 Member

I've read in a few places that hurt the 1/4 mile time. I think it read that in Mustang 5.0 mag. I'm leaning towards 3.73 now...plus that leaves me open for a S/C in the future if I decide to go that road...
Scoops,

You, like I, have been debating which set to get with our automatics for a couple months. I'm getting the 3.73s in December (similar reasons as above). Why don't you get the 4.10s, we can meet somewhere between, and see which ride works better?(jk)

Enough discussion...it's time to pull the trigger!
Old 11/1/06, 12:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard a few say to get the Motive 3.90 gears instead of 4.10.
Old 11/1/06, 12:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by pferd
Scoops,

You, like I, have been debating which set to get with our automatics for a couple months. I'm getting the 3.73s in December (similar reasons as above). Why don't you get the 4.10s, we can meet somewhere between, and see which ride works better?(jk)

Enough discussion...it's time to pull the trigger!
LOL. As I was reading that...I was like "What the hell...?"

BTW, I have a manual.
Old 11/1/06, 01:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
The only regret that I have is not getting 4.30's. After I added underdrive pullies and delete plates, I'm getting the same MPG as before.

As far as the 1/4 mile, I think that the gears are hurting me but only because I don't have drag radials yet. With the stock tires, I spin all thru 1st, 2nd, and partially into 3rd even on a well prepared track. And, you for sure MUST shift into 4th before hitting the traps- no way around it.

Tom
Old 11/1/06, 04:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

i cant wait to get my 4.10s in on tuesday!!! is there any break in time or can i nail it right out of the shop? i did do a burnout at the dealership right when i picked it up, and took it up to 140 on the ride home, and now i got 30k miles with no probs, so im guessing no break in?
Old 11/1/06, 04:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by official_style
i cant wait to get my 4.10s in on tuesday!!! is there any break in time or can i nail it right out of the shop? i did do a burnout at the dealership right when i picked it up, and took it up to 140 on the ride home, and now i got 30k miles with no probs, so im guessing no break in?

Well, all I can tell you is that I usually do break mine in for the first 100 miles or so. I've had the same shop install 3.73s in my '92, 4.10's in my '04 Mach (sold), and now 4.10s in my '06 and each and every time they did the install they've made the point to tell me to break them in for the first couple 100 miles- even though they know me and they know they've told me before. They've said the most important thing to do is to drive at different speeds for the first couple of miles, then hit the hiway and cruise at a constant rate. I've never figured that one out but that's what they've told me.
Old 11/1/06, 06:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

I work right down the street from his shop. I hear he's ok. He's got a kick *** Saleen and just got a GT500 (I heard) I've talked to him before. He's pretty cocky and thinks he knows everything. Honestly, with a 5 speed I don't think you'll even feel the difference between 3.55 gears and 3.73. It's not worth the risk of them whining. I have the 4.10's, but with the automatic it makes a HUGE difference. Make sure he knows what he's doing because our rears are very touchy......If one small thing is out of whack.......your rear will whine like a 14 year old bit ch.

If you don't already have them, I'd suggest a CAI and a tune before 3.73 gears.....much more bang for the buck IMO,
Old 11/2/06, 06:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by HiRoller
I work right down the street from his shop. I hear he's ok. He's got a kick *** Saleen and just got a GT500 (I heard) I've talked to him before. He's pretty cocky and thinks he knows everything. Honestly, with a 5 speed I don't think you'll even feel the difference between 3.55 gears and 3.73. It's not worth the risk of them whining. I have the 4.10's, but with the automatic it makes a HUGE difference. Make sure he knows what he's doing because our rears are very touchy......If one small thing is out of whack.......your rear will whine like a 14 year old bit ch.

If you don't already have them, I'd suggest a CAI and a tune before 3.73 gears.....much more bang for the buck IMO,
Would I be better off going with an Xpipe, and maybe a Hurst shifter than going with 3.73 gears?
Old 11/2/06, 06:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MTAS
Full throttle in first, with the stock skinny **** tires Fuggedaboutit!!! I noticed that the car seemed easier to drive around town. Not as much shifting and the 4.10's really seemed to jive well with the transmission ratios when upshifting. Basically the car will be easier to drive (or IMO it was), and you'll be grinning from ear to ear when you mash it to the flo! I don't know anythnig about Evo, sorry. My gear installer was actually featured in 5.0 magazine a few months back, doing a 4.30 gear install on an 05 at BMR's shop here in Tampa
Do you have traction issues only if you go full throttle? What if you're just normally driving?
Old 11/2/06, 07:56 AM
Bullitt Member

whats the avg install cost you guys have paid? any1 with a decent place up in north jersey?
Old 11/2/06, 08:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 07ShelbyWanter
whats the avg install cost you guys have paid? any1 with a decent place up in north jersey?
I've heard between 250-300 bucks for the install.

Where in North Jersey are you?
Old 11/2/06, 08:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Bergen county

Quick Reply: Dislikes of 4.10s